[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
depression/suicidal, what do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: causeniggaimawesome.jpg (28 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
causeniggaimawesome.jpg
28 KB, 720x720
never really been on this board much so idk how much it sees this? i assume fairly often. basically for the past few months my depression has been coming back strong and i pretty much do not give a fuck anymore.. ive picked up self harming again like a piece of shit faggot. i feel like my life just has no meaning anymore and everyday feels worse...any help would be greatly appreciated
>>
>>17138769
Do you currently see a doctor or therapist?
>>
who broke up with you?
Also initials??
>>
whats your situation like and what brought about your depression? gotta give us more info
>>
>>17138774
Currently only seeing a therapist every two weeks (have only been talking about bs lately..), i used to be on meds and see a psych about a year ago but was able to get off them. I kinda want to avoid meds because they made me super unproductive and uncreative in my art which is the only thing keeping me happy really.
>>
>>17138796
19, closeted bi fag in a bigot home, spent my recent birthday at the vets having to put my one of my dogs down, parents are getting divorced, other dog died, sorta pushing away everyone in my life that could help for whatever reason. Sums up the past few months from December to now with some other bs stuff left out
>>
>>17138812
>>17138818
Btw this is OP. My computer was being fucking retarded so now I'm on my phone
>>
what else op?
have you tried to kill
yourself yet? Have you told anyone your bi?
Are you harrassing anyone?
>>
Just first initial
>>
>>17138830
Yes only once though, a friend awhile ago through a text but it was a huge block I sent while I was panicking and being hysterical. They never mentioned it after so im pretty sure they didn't read it after that I've never mentioned it again. And kinda? I get made fun of by people for being effeminate but nothing much else
>>
>>17138769
You are not alone OP. Always remember that.
I've been suffering from depression for almost 15 years and never been able to afford therapy, I don't even think my friends know they just figure I'm socially awkward (also true, but not the real reason I'm so quiet). I got pretty good at dealing with it for a while, but the last 4-5 years have been hard. Something happened last weekend that really messed me up, and I've fallen back to seriously considering suicide for the first time in about 11 years.

Sorry I don't have a lot of advice, but just know you are not the only one dealing with this. You just need to keep pushing and hope that one day things might get better.
>>
>>17138769
Go get help from a trained mental health professional. It's kind of the only way to get over depression. It literally saved my life last year.

Btw that picture is one of the funniest things I have ever laid my eyes upon
>>
>>17138977
Hey not OP but I'm the post before you.
How do you even go about seeking a professional? I've never really thought about it before I just got good at dealing with it alone, but I can't get past what happened last week and I don't want to kill myself but I'm scared that I'll do something stupid, it's so easy to just move into the oncoming lane on a motorbike in a split second dumb decision that I'd never be able to take back. And it really scares me to be thinking like this again, I honestly thought I was past it.
>>
>>17138997
>How do you even go about seeking a professional ?
It's actually not that difficult to pull off. First of all you have to know the reason why you would want to seek out help so you can tell them right away: are you depressed ? Suicidal ? Do you have intrusive thoughts about self harm ? All of this should be identified before seeking help (if and only if it's not an emergency). Then just go on the internet and look for therapists near you: do they have good reviews ? Has anyone complained about their practice ? At last but not least, you need to get over the part of you that's holding you back from calling and just call. That's what I did and as said before, it saved my life.

>before I just got good at dealing with it alone
We all thought that at some point. Trust me when I say this: you will not be able to handle it on your own, depression is stronger than you and you need help to shut it down once and for all.

I can relate to your story buddy, I actually turned myself into a mental hospital because I had suicidal/homicidal thoughts every single day. Got rid of it within two weeks, now I'm perfectly fine.

Feel free to ask any more questions you might have !
>>
>>17139013
Thank you that's very helpful. I wouldn't have even known where to start looking I didn't consider just looking it up online (it's obvious in hindsight but I can't really think straight at the moment).

Is there a difference between therapist, psychologist, mental health expert etc? Like what would be best for someone likely with some severely repressed subconscious shit going on from dealing with it alone for so long?
>>
>>17139039
I'm going out for a smoke break, I'll get back to you in a few minutes !
>>
>>17139049
I really appreciate it, thanks. I'm going out riding now, it's the only thing that takes enough focus to keep my mind blank for any amount of time.
I'll be with a group and going fast enough that it'll take my concentration, so I should be ok no thoughts of jumping into the wrong lane like I mentioned. I should be able to keep my mind off it.
I will look for your response when I get back in a few hours. Thank you so much for your support anon. It's crazy how you can find help from a stranger where you don't feel comfortable talking to your closest friends.
>>
>>17139039
>Is there a difference between therapist, psychologist, mental health expert etc?
Absolutely. By mental health professional I mean any person that is paid to assist people who find themselves faced with mental health issues (this includes psychologists, psychiatrists, psych nurses, etc.).

A psychologist is usually someone who's got a masters degree or a doctorate in psychology. Psychologists are trained in different forms of therapy, for example: cognitive-behavioral therapy, gestalt therapy, psycho-analysis, speech therapy, etc. They are also trained in differential psychology which means that there's a wide array of tests you can pass at a psychologist's (scales of depression, anxiety, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, ...). One thing to keep in mind is that the patient is ALWAYS part of the decision process when it comes to therapy. This means YOU get to decide what you want to do and/or avoid doing for the time being.

A psychiatrist is an M.D. who specialized in psychiatry in his last two years of study. This is the main difference between the two. Since psychiatrists are actually "doctors", they can prescribe meds, which a psychologist CAN NOT.

As someone who's been through the whole thing (psychologist, psychiatrist, mental hospital) I'd recommend you start with seeing a psychologist, since you're not 100% sure you actually need meds (+ meds should only be considered when any other form of therapy fails to yield any results).

Hope this helps !
>>
>>17139054
No worries buddy, I'm glad I could be of any help. Have fun riding !

I'll be posting under this tripcode exclusively from now on, this means that in case this thread gets archived, you can still get in touch with me on other threads if you ever feel the need to.

Finding psychological support can sometimes be a lot like finding love: you never know when it might hit you. I'll be there if you need me. :-)
>>
>>17139078
Not OP but your posts motivated me to seek help through a psychologist because I don't know what to do with my life and that makes me feel pretty depressed, so thanks a lot.
>>
>>17139095
You're welcome buddy, anytime !
>>
>>17139075
Not sure if you're still around, the ride was a bit longer than I expected... best I've felt all week though so that's nice haha. Glad to know I should be able to find you around.

>Since psychiatrists are actually "doctors", they can prescribe meds
Yeah that's the one I want to avoid then. I'm not a fan of any synthesized drugs and would prefer to avoid them except as an absolute last resort.

It's about to hit midnight now so I'll start my search for help tomorrow. Thank you for all the info.
One last thing if you are still here, is it very difficult to find a 'good' psychologist? As in even in the same area of expertise are there likely to be some I am more 'compatible' with and easier to talk to, or are they much the same and just go for whatever's cheap and nearby? I'm still not even sure if I can really afford it, but I know that I really need it because I just can't handle it alone anymore, last time I was truly considering ending my life I didn't care so much, but despite slowly getting worse I've been mostly okay since then and I know I don't really want to die which makes it kinda traumatizing that I just can't stop considering it.

Thank you again for your help. You're an absolute legend and I can't express how grateful I am. I hope I get another chance to talk to you soon, I'll be back in this thread in the morning to see if you got my question. Thanks.
>>
D?
>>
>>17139511
Still here. Not a very busy day today.

>is it very difficult to find a 'good' psychologist?
Not really, you just have to know where and how to look. Start with the phonebook, most "legit" psychologists you can find there. From there work your way up through was is said about them on the internet. Should be pretty easy desu, many of them have websites which features a review section.

>As in even in the same area of expertise are there likely to be some I am more 'compatible' with and easier to talk to
Well that's actually the only tricky part of the search. You might have to try one or two (or even three in the worst case scenario) until you find the right one. But before you get discouraged, don't forget that the work you'll put in with the previous ones is never lost since therapy relies a lot on you talking about yourself.

>I know I don't really want to die which makes it kinda traumatizing that I just can't stop considering it
I know this feeling very well and trust me it's one of the worst you'll ever have to endure (so that's somewhat of a silver lining already). It will get better once you get it all out of your system, because the next time you'll consider it you will hear an echo of what your psychologist told you about such ideas (I'm not a big fan of spoilers lol).

>Thank you again for your help
Thank you for your kind words and for listening to what I have to say. I'm glad I could be of any help to you. I find a lot of comfort in knowing that I might somehow have made it possible for you to carry on just a little because I know that I would have been very grateful if I had gotten such advice in time.

As mentioned before, I will be using this exact tripcode from now on, don't really know why I didn't start using them earlier, they make a lot of sense.

See you around buddy
>>
>>17139590
*work your way up to what is said

Seems like today's not my day as far as syntax is concerned
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.