[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey. I'm turning 21 in a month and still live at my parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
Hey. I'm turning 21 in a month and still live at my parents house, and I need to get a career and move out pronto. I'm considering going to community college for Game Design, because I'm good at drawing cool shit, but I took it for a semester in the past and dropped out because everyone in the class were cringelords and I get depressed thinking about spending the rest of my forseable future working with them. However, it makes 50-90k a year. What do.
>>
Don't let that deter you from your dream. If you're good at it, and I mean real talent, and you have a proper education, you'll land a job at a high-end company and be surrounded by respectable people who work and perform to a high standard of professionalism, just like any business.

The reason you're surrounded by these types at school is because they think they can get a job in the gaming industry because all they need is "i liek gamz" on their resume.
>>
>>everyone around me who is doing what I want to do is a cringelord.

I've got bad news for you OP.
>>
>>17138706
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Video_Game_Designer/Salary/24fb9adb/Entry-Level

30k-80k median 53k

and I can't believe people outside of game design take the degree seriously. Game design isn't something you take for the money it has to be a passion.
>>
>>17138721
Almost Never goes the way that you think that it will unless you start your own company.
>>
>>17138721
Because it's an easy ass job that pays 80k if you rise to the top
>>
>>17138716
WEllll the problem is, it's not really my passion. My passion is making music, I just need something to pay the bills in the meantime while I pursue that.
>>
>>17138720
There were literally neckbeards who would spend hours talking about fucking pokemon.
>>
>>17138733
You don't have to make your passion your business. If you want a job that is good and pays well there are smarter bets than game design.
>>
>>17138741
Please list them lol not sarcasm, I need options here
>>
>>17138733
You know, my barber (who owns 2 barber shops) plays in a band on Friday and Saturday nights at local bars and clubs.

My point is he just cuts hair. He's damn good at it, but it's just a simple job and he's happy because he loves his work and he loves his passion.

Game design and educating yourself to do it seems like a lot of work just to "pay bills."
>>
>>17138742
http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back

Basicly Math>can't into math

Also it's not just salary but how easy it is to actually get a job in your field
>>
>>17138752
STEM degrees are always valuable, but don't you think for a second that it's "easy" to get a job. You need multiple internships, a good GPA, a likable personality ( for interviews/networking) and a fuckton of dedication to your passion to land a job. It's a highly saturated market. If you want a fulfilling STEM career, you have to put in a fuckton of work both inside and outside of academics to get a lucrative career.
>>
File: 1451875856348.gif (110 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
1451875856348.gif
110 KB, 250x214
>>17138706
> I'm considering going to community college for Game Design, because I'm good at drawing cool shit
>>
>>17138752
Nah, I'm not into math. Has to be a job I enjoy
>>
>>17138750
Yeah, I've tried that. I know how to bartend and have done it before but I got into a fight with an employee and now nowhere in the service industry will hire me
>>
>>17138706
How about skilled trade jobs? You can make some serious money. Game design is great if you've got the talent and live near where all these skills are needed, otherwise it's tough.
>>
>>17138795
nehhh, that's a good option but I don't want to be a plumber/ electrician. Plus I have those two requirements for game design
>>
>>17138795
PLUS if I move to Austin which is a huge city for game design I could do my music there toooo
>>
>>17138779
Making money with a game design job takes luck,skill, and presistance, making money with a STEM degree only takes the second two.
seconding
>>17138795
not everyone one needs to go to college, skill trades are just as worthy.
>>
File: llamacario.jpg (63 KB, 886x886) Image search: [Google]
llamacario.jpg
63 KB, 886x886
Game Design is a joke of a fucking major.

If you really want to design games, major in programming and minor in art.
>>
>>17138813
Is it really a joke? I mean there's two parts to game design pretty much. The programming and the art. For art all you pretty much have to do is learn the modeling software and you're good I think
>>
>>17138706
you won't find work study something useful for fucks sake
>>
Fuck game design. Try 3D artist field it will be booming more as technology advances. Game design industry a lot of who you know rather than your capability. Plus anything with the title videogame in it is very overcrowded. Maybe try concept artist if it is something to do with drawing you want to do however to get to the level you need for that will take you at least ten years of practicing once you get your schooling. I am no need to rush myself I practice but own my own business doing graphic design and wedding photography. Finding balance with art can be very hard. Just focus on your own little goals then worry about a job.
Also do not listen to the Stem Anons it's basically a meme. If you enjoy creativity make sure you have a back up route. Job market always changing because it's globally based.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.