[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you know of any long distance relationships that worked?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 1455953383822.jpg (295 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455953383822.jpg
295 KB, 1920x1080
Do any of you know of any long distance relationships that worked? I've always been against them but destiny is a fucking bitch...
>>
>>17138390
I met my partner on a game and here we are six years later moved in together. He lived a few hours away originally. I don't know why people say they don't work. Make it a point to communicate as often as possible and see eachother. I'm as clingy as it gets I'd cry when he wouldn't be here and I managed. If I can do it you can.
>>
>>17138396
I think the real problem is I don't know if I'm strong enough for that or if I even want that with this person. She's literally the greatest person I've ever been with and I'd hate to see her suffer because of me because I know somewhere along the lines I will do something stupid and hurt her.
>>
My parents. Or, for that matter, my wife and me. Yes, I realize this makes me some kind of unicorn.

>>17138396
>I don't know why people say they don't work.
Because they might as well not work. For every success, like yours or mine, hundreds fail. They're emotionally brutal like almost nothing else. They have their own rewards, IF you can make it, but that's one of the biggest ifs known to humanity. I cannot in good conscience recommend them to anyone.
>>
>>17138390
very well i have been with my bf for 2 years we met in tinder then moved in with each over hes a bit clingy but when you get past that hes the best bf ever
>>
>>17138396
>6 yrs
>clingy

troll is too obvious
>>
to be honest, long distance is realyl fucking hard. Even more so since you're ripping away waht would be considered almost essential in a relationship, that intimacy. I mean, my girlfriend and I are still together but right now its a rough spot and everything's hazy. Its hard bro, but remember people love differently. If you understand what you do and how it affects her, go for it.
They are definitely something that will end up with people getting hurt if (and they mostly do) end up bad. But you love them, so you'l do your damn best to fight against the current and love them no matter what.
>>
My cousin met this chick online
He's in Illinois and she was in Oklahoma
He managed to go meet her a couple times
Fast forward 8 years and they're still married
>>
>>17138390
They only work if either side can't do better.
The moment that you get a good catch in your surroundings... Byebye
>>
>>17138622
Horseshit. They also work if both parties truly love each other. Long distance is pure hell.
>>
They can work and I feel they can be even better and more successful than relationships formed entirely in person. However, this only works if you can actually see the person you're talking to and it isn't going to remain long distance.

I met my girlfriend through the internet and we've been together in a relationship for about a year (difficult to tell when it crossed from friendship to relationship, there wasn't really a set point) and when I met her in person about 6 months ago (visited for 3 months), things were amazing and we worked really well together. I'm actually planning to move to her area permanently in June.

You have to understand though when you're actually long distance, as in you can't see the person for longer than a month, there's going to be a lot of insecurity and some fights/arguments will most probably result from it. You need to have a lot of mutual trust in order to make it work. I haven't seen my girlfriend in 2 months, but I know she isn't entertaining/seeing other guys and she knows I'm not entertaining/seeing other girls. It helps that we're both so naturally monogamous. We also know that the other person isn't losing interest or rethinking the relationship, and that emotions are staying the same despite not seeing each other in awhile.
>>
>>17138390
I've been in this one long distance relationship that actually worked out fine until we moved in together. Long distance lasted for almost 2 years, everything was fine and dandy. Fast forward 2 years later, I break up with her because I eventually got fed up with her personality.

So yeah, they can work out, just be sure to ask the right questions before making a move to move in together.
>>
>>17138988
What are the right questions?
>>
>>17139029
The important ones, those you ask in case you want to get serious with someone: what do you want from this relationship ? what am I to you ? how sure are you that this will work out ? do you think we're ready to move in together ? have you actually given it a lot of thought ? what could this mean for our relationship ? since we've been living far apart, don't you think we could be rushing this a little ?

Stuff like that (I wished I'd had the maturity to do so) :-)
>>
>>17139036
Don't listen to this guy
>>
>>17139119
Please elaborate
>>
My girlfriend and I met in July 2011, living in different Australian states (about a 25-hour drive) when I was visiting her state for unrelated reasons.

We kept in touch, and she came to my state in November 2011 (again for unrelated reasons), and we began dating. We were in a long-distance relationship until February 2013. During this time we tried to see each other one weekend per month, alternating who travelled.

In February 2013 we moved in together, and we've been together ever since. So yes, it can work... though frankly I don't know how much longer our relationship could've lasted without moving in together. It was over a year, and it was fucking rough. As long as you can both keep it in your pants and not get bored with each other, you can make it work. It helps if you know how long it's going to be long-distance.
>>
Define "long distance". Someone you met, but ended up being separated by distance?Or someone you met through internet but have never met in real life? The latter is not a relationship but an internet crush. If you can't meet each other regularly it's not likely to work.
>>
>>17138427
>For every success, like yours or mine, hundreds fail.
That goes for literally all relationships.

The concept that you'd break up with someone you might otherwise spend the rest of your life with just because you have to live apart for a while is fucking retarded.

People break up every day for all kinds of reasons. If long distance is the reason, guess what, you would have broken up for some other reason eventually anyway.
>>
Been in a LDR for a year and a half now, but we're just now hitting rocks. When I say long distance I mean cross the pacific ocean and switch hemispheres long.

Met in NYC and dated there but when I came back to Australia we decided to see how we'd go but we wouldn't be exclusive. She visited me last year and the topic of me visiting her later this year came up and she got really worried that there would be too many expectations at that point, and since I'm going to be studying for the next 3.5 years, the light at the end of the tunnel is a looooooong way away.

She basically just warned me that the relationship will probably change sooner or later, but I don't really know what that means.

just venting, pfffffffffffffshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuhhh
>>
My sister and her boyfriend. They met online, lived 300-ish miles away from each other, met in a city in the middle for multiple dates and communicated online in the mean time. She later moved in with him, and they've been together for over 10 years now.

A friend who lives in England, his wife moved from the US to be with him. Still together, not sure of the length of time.

A friend who lives in the US, she moved a couple of states worth of distance to live with her now husband after an LDR.

I know some that have failed too, but it can work. You have to work hard at it and keep communication open, and meet as often as you feasibly can.
>>
I live on the other side than my partner, we've been living together for almost 3 years. To be fair, we both thought it wasn't going to last, but here we are.
>>
Like with any healthy relationship, if you are both equally loyal and committed, it will work. You need to know your boundaries, know what makes you uncomfortable and communicate that. If your partner is a cheating cunt, they'll cheat if they live 10 minutes away and they'll cheat if they live 24 hours away.

It is difficult to be apart and know that when that person is sad you can't hug them etc, but you essentially just use that as motivation to be with them in person quicker.

My ex partner and I moved across the world for one another when we were 19 & 20 respectively, after being together online for 2 years. We moved in together immediately, and only recently broke up after another 2 years for reasons unrelated to the fact we were once long distance. So ya.
>>
Anecdotally, no. Didn't work for me.
>>
>>17139156
Someone I know already and am with, but I'm gonna go study abroad really far away.
>>
File: 11kJ07P.png (88 KB, 882x645) Image search: [Google]
11kJ07P.png
88 KB, 882x645
>>17138390

>but destiny is a fucking bitch

and this is why you'll fail in life. if destiny exists it has nothing to do with who you stick ur dick in.
>>
I was in one for 3 years with a Japanese girl and we've been living together for the last 3.5 years in Japan (now married)
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.