[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What advice do you have for a poor, stupid 18 year old who doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 361x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 361x330
What advice do you have for a poor, stupid 18 year old who doesn't know what to do with his life?

Basically, from a poor family. Been poor all my life. Recently got a job, working part time making $8 an hour. Graduating high school in three weeks. Now, I just barely met the requirements for graduation. Just barely. I have a 1.4 GPA and my ACT/SAT scores are low as shit. School was hard for me. I was accepted into a community college which my parents will help me pay if they can, but all of the money from my job will be going to it. I feel like I'm too stupid and will fail classes in college.

College starts in three months and I have absolutely no idea what I want to study. I've been thinking about it for years, nothing interests me. I have no hobbies. I've played sports and I hated them. I tried to learn guitar for years, never got the hang of it. Could play the violin as a kid but it bores the hell out of me now. It amazes me how most of the people in my grade already know what they want to do with their life, and have multiple hobbies that they enjoy and are good at. I just feel like nothing's for me.
>>
>>17137734
If it helps, nobody your age knows what they want to do. Most of their career path decisions are completely impulsive and they will almost certainly be changing it at some point (maybe even several times). I know that wasn't any real advice, but I hope it helped in some way.
>>
Try a trade school.
HVAC, welding, plumbing, auto repair, etc.
>>
>>17137755
Pretty much this.

Started working at UPS during high school and while going to college. Two years of college decided after 3 major changes that I dont like school. Now im a driver.

Lifes strange after high school but not definite. Find yourself in a positive way in the coming years.
>>
Join the military, then go to school after you get out.
>>
>>17137734
I'm in a similar situation to you, and I realized that not much has to be set in stone at this point. You don't need to know exactly what you want to study until your 3rd year of college. Just get your general education associates degree, and move from there.
>>
Easy solution: join rotc and go be a commander in the army.

Or if you can't wait, sign a long fucking contract with the army as enlisted. In 4 years you'll be sergeant [last name]. There's worse paths to be on.
>>
Learn computer programming and make bank. It's really simple
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.