[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck do people mean when they say "love yourself"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
What the fuck do people mean when they say "love yourself"?
How do I know if I love myself?
What do I get by doing that?
>>
First, you get some goddamned cavalry in that army composition before you get your shit flanked, son.
>>
>>17137442
implying cavalry isn't just overpriced overrated noobs on slow horses.
>>
>>17137413
Value yourself: Be able to say honestly that you deserve to be happy and take steps towards positive goals in your life. Loving yourself is trying to keep away from negative people, thoughts, places and activities. It is NOT becoming narcissistic, or becoming self-absorbed and looking down on others and believing in the right to abuse others. It's about having healthy self-esteem...
>>
File: odanobuhide.png (34 KB, 148x148) Image search: [Google]
odanobuhide.png
34 KB, 148x148
>>17137442
>oda campaing
>cavalry
>>
>>17137413
I am not sure but what I think is be the person you want to be and accepting things that you cannot control about yourself. So for me to love myself I want to be healthy (which I'm working toward to) be more happy (finding and doing things that I like) and be more productive (discipline and time management). I hated that I am short and that cause a lot low self confidence because of my height but I have accepted it and don't think much about it. I started to "love myself" and have been better off because of it
>>
>>17137450
>Loving yourself is trying to keep away from negative people, thoughts, places and activities.

Can't that be considered escapism?
In which case, wouldn't it be immoral/anti ethical to love myself?
>>
>>17137456

How do you know what you truly want?

I have the costume of always ending up regretting taking a route or a decision, when I hit a point in a journey I look back and ask myself "why am I even doing this? this is not what I want, it's just the expectation of others." and I have grown to question what I truly want and I don't know how to even start answering that question.
>>
>>17137460
Escapism is the avoidance of things that you SHOULD attend to...drinking to forget, playing video games when one needs to study for an important exam, hanging out at a bar while unemployed and with a family at home--these are just some of the forms of escape that people take. A healthy relationship with oneself and recognizing things that distract or subtract such is hardly immoral or unethical.

Are you TRYING to bait?!
>>
express yourself
>>
>>17137508

So this is a matter of what you define on escapism then.

Escapism to me is running away from any form of reality. If you run away from bad things, it's an attemp to escape, which is said to be escapism.

But this brings us to the question, what is even real to start with? I think anything that exists is real. Because of that, escapist reality is as real as real reality.

On a side note, maybe my biggest problem is that I'm too much of an existentialist, and I am constantly seeking logical answers to everyday questions.
>>
>>17137413
Stop playing faggy sword fighting games.
>>
>>17137474
It took my many times before I found what I wanted, last thing I really tried to do what I thought was going to do was be a doctor, literally have 500 hours at the hospital so much studying and so many questions I asked doctors, I was in the thick of it and I was on the way there, but I realized this wasn't what I wanted. I have been there many times, but don't give up! I was lucky to find what I wanted early. I got into comp sci and every time I finished a code I was excited and wanted to do it again. I think what helped me realize is that I got me excited it got me yearning for more. I finished my first exam with the biggest smiles on my face even though it was hard as hell and I was the last one leaving. Ask those around you for help, ask those who inspire you and ask professors. Look for a mentor. Just by realizing that you don't know what to do and ask for help your on. Your way there.
>>
>>17137413
A couple of interpretations:

1) If you are constantly putting others before yourself and self-destructing in the process, it means you have to take care of yourself first before you can adequately help others. Caretakers often need to learn how to love themselves - they think they're doing the best thing by putting others first, but they're often missing a balance which means retaining their own sanity and life before going bat-shit crazy taking care of everyone else.

2) "love yourself" meaning "accept yourself", flaws and all. It means not measuring your self-worth through a pre-conceived notion that you had of yourself or your life. It means that you think you are worthy of all kinds of love (be it platonic or romantic).

If you love yourself, you're capable of having a relationship and loving someone else. If you don't love yourself, you're not. I have plenty of insecurities, but I know deep down that I love myself... I must, to think that I deserve the person I'm with, who is amazing.

>>17137442
>top kek
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.