[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's wrong with going into CS? Should I combine with a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: seagull.jpg (45 KB, 648x486) Image search: [Google]
seagull.jpg
45 KB, 648x486
What's wrong with going into CS? Should I combine with a business major or something for better chance of employment? The university I'm going to is pretty math-heavy in CS.
>>
>>17136899
Just do CS for now. If your GPA goes to shit, consider tacking on a few business classes to bump it up. Also do internships and research early with your free time, way more valuable than an extra major.
>>
>>17136914
>business classes to improve GPA

Fuck no. Operations Management, Finance, Organizational Leadership. Those are the types of classes in a School of Business. And they fucking BLOW DICKS. They are not easy. CS is far easier. Just don't fuck up from the get go and never have to worry about needing to pull up your gpa.
>>
>>17136932
I guess it depends on the school, so let me clarify.

>If your GPA goes to shit, tack on a few intro-level classes taught by a professor with a reputation for being easy, perhaps in business.
>>
>>17136957
My concern is about not being able to find meaningful employment with just a CS degree, not necessarily to improve my GPA. Unfortunately I have to maintain a 3.7 GPA to retain my fat scholarship anyway
>>
>>17137936
Sorry forgot to clarify, 3.7/4.2
>>
>>17137936
start attending job fairs and look for internships to guarantee a job once you graduate. The stories you ready about people not finding employment with their degrees are people who didn't put in the effort, didn't internship anywhere, and don't have a portfolio to show their work.
>>
>>17137941
Maintaining a 3.5/4.0 GPA is substantially harder your first semester, where you don't have a past history of grades to fall back on. I would worry more about pulling straight As your first semester and then think about employment in the remaining seven semesters you'll have. You'd lose way more money if you lost your scholarship than any money an internship would bring in.

Pick classes with easy professors if you can and overload your schedule with extra classes, withdrawing from any classes if you have to (which won't look amazing on your transcript but will not affect your GPA). You should be looking to build that bedrock to keep your scholarship.
>>
>>17137948
I actually already have a portfolio, having worked at a startup. That's good to hear.
>>
>>17137987
I'm not sure if they look at cumulative GPA or just GPA each term, but yeah, my plan is easy classes first semester for sure. In fact I took a bunch of AP courses so I'll essentially be retaking the exact same courses (for some) which should be easy
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.