[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving to another state
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: moving-truck21[1].jpg (64 KB, 580x300) Image search: [Google]
moving-truck21[1].jpg
64 KB, 580x300
I'm thinking about moving to AZ from PA, I don't have any jobs lined up or anything, or any place to stay, but I was in AZ last week and I liked it and I need to get away from home.

I'm not really sure how to go about this though, I've never moved out by myself, let alone to another state across the country. I'm not sure if I should find a job first, find a place first, how I'd know a place is good for me without going to check it out first, etc.

Can anyone offer me any advice? I do have some money saved up, enough to live for a couple months probably.
>>
take a vacation here for a week and see if you like it. Line up a job and a place to live so you arent forced into somethingg you dont want out of desperation

>>studying in Tucson
>>
How much money do you have? You'll need enough to support yourself for 6 months or so. It can be pretty hard to find work sometimes when you're somewhere new without any friends or family. Having at least 10k would be ideal.
>>
>>17136867
I was there for a few days to check things out, didn't do any job or apartment hunting which I'm sort of regretting. I just think it would be weird to go back so soon and not stay out there. Also, I don't know if I'd be able to get a rental again, I failed the credit check because I have no credit and the only way I could get the rental was to pay money under the table so the guy would mess around with the prices and not do a credit check.

>>17136895
I have like 8k right now
>>
>>17136860
lol, really bad time to move in arizona. it's gonna be hot as fuck this summer
>>
>>17136910
Hmmm, yeah I figured that. It was in the 90s one of the days I was there and it wasn't too bad, dry heat seems a lot easier than what we get in PA. Maybe I should save up a bit more money and wait to move until the heat dies down? When does it start cooling down a bit?
>>
Not OP. I am moving out of state in 18 days and don't have housing yet. I was really far along with someone discussing housing, but I got flaked on last minute. Am I fucked? I'm hustling but man. My last thoughts were to use a hostel or airbnb if I can't find anything. I used airbnb on vacation but it would suck to live like that more than a few days. No car, otherwise I'd live in that.
>>
Where you planning on staying? Pheonix, tucsan? Anywhere else like up north is pretty expensive but fairly cheap in the valley.

Also get ready for hot weather.
>>
>>17136933
On a good year september. On a bad year end of october.
>>
>>17137593
Phoenix area. I checked out Flagstaff area too and wasn't a fan, I feel like I need something vastly different than where I've been for the past 23 years. The desert shit looked really cool and was really refreshing
>>
>>17137608
What about sedona
>>
>>17137621
Sedona was neat and really pretty, but I'd rather be in Phoenix area I think. More to do I think
>>
>>17137608
Good luck. Its definitely not a bad state. Has one of the best structured roadways I have had the pleasure of driving, freeways are a nightmare between 5-7, heats intense during the summer but its a dry heat and you can find cheap studio/one bed room apartments here.
>>
>>17137621
I live in AZ. Stay away from Sedona. Nothing but new-age hippies.

Visit = yes
Stay = no

I recommend moving in Sept/Oct or Feb/March/April time frame.

Pretty chill around here. Kinda like California without the expense.
>>
>>17137621
Actually was up their last sunday. Really really nice with its red rock beds but its really fucking expensive to live up there. Also its not a huge town so job and housing is limited.
>>
>>17137639
Yeah, it was nice to drive between Phoenix and Sedona, started to feel a bit too green after I went north of Sedona. 90 degree day was a lot easier to handle than a 90 degree day in PA.

Are there neighborhoods I should look into or stay away from when I'm looking for an apartment?
>>
>>17137663
Lived in chandler all my life and is easily one of the most accesable and friendly cities. Gilbert is overall good too, gueen creek also. Mesa is cheap but over crowded with mexicans, looks run down. Never lived in pheonix itself, never will.

Me and my wife live right on the 101 free-way, 2 minutes from chandler mall and only pay 740 total rent for a one bedroom. You can easily find cheaper housing the more you move away from a freeway or more towards mesa.
>>
>>17137663
In pa 90 degrees is hot. It's not in az
>>
>>17137704
90's here is your typical weather. Zero humidity in all its glory.
>>
>>17137698
Anything to worry about with vehicles? I have a small truck, does the heat fuck vehicles up at all or is it usually a non-issue?
>>
>>17137736
2 things to worry about:
- dust clogs your filters so you need to clean them more than other places
- heat reduces your battery life

Other than that, my 2005 Toyota Tacoma has been running great.
>>
>>17137736
>Battieries can die quicker
>shit tires wear quicker
>fluids
>keep your ac in check!!
Last point is a biggie. Summer heat in cars that have been baking in the open sun can reach 130 degrees+
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.