[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: autism-aspergers-hand-flapping1.jpg (100 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
autism-aspergers-hand-flapping1.jpg
100 KB, 480x640
I have issues with hand flapping (used to do it as a child all the time, but now as an 18 yo adult I do it only when I'm alone listening to music. Or when I'm alone and excited.)

I also used to bang my head against the wall as an infant. In addition, I used to act like I was a cat (meowing a lot).

Is this a problem? I've never really seeked help from psychiatrists etc. with this because muh parents r like, "lol it'll go away when you get older"
>>
>>17136594
Sounds like you're stimming. Maybe you're mildly autistic?
>>
>>17136858
I apologize for coming off as such. My baby sibling does similar things when he is excited/happy/upset and I personally suspect he may be autistic--actually autistic, not whatever derogatory term it's come to mean on here--although my parents say otherwise.
OP could be autistic or maybe just quirky.
>>
>>17136866
I have adhd and it influences me to do the first action that comes to mind, whatever the fuck it is. I ignore it really well when I'm not in at home, and when I'm around anyone else, but when I'm alone, I just go with it.

It's not the same thing, I'm sure, but I say it to point out that it could be something else.. Maybe?

I also have an autistic little brother as well as two other little brothers who may or may not be as well.
>>
>>17136594
Repetitive hand flapping is one of the major signs of autism in children. Head banging, too. Sounds like your parents had no clue, or in denial, or just never bothered to take you to get evaluated. You're probably a sperg at the very least.
>>
for the hands, you may consider buying a ring and playing with it to get your hands busy

i was always very self aware of not knowing what to do with my hands when speaking and now i touch the ring

it stupid, i know, but works
>>
>>17136594
Stay away from me. I don't want to hear some retard slapping his hands like a circus seal.
>>
>>17137184
Now this one here! Here is the rude one.
>>
OP, I do the same thing.

Used to do it all the time when I was younger. I'm 23 now and I only do it in private when I get excited or when I'm listening to music. I suspect that I have aspergers but have never gotten properly diagnosed.

Not something to worry too much about if it doesn't interfere with your life, but it might not be a bad idea to talk to a psychiatrist about it. Cant hurt anyway.
>>
>>17137310
Same case here, never got diagnosed, but after some research, it seems like these kinds of autistic behaviors can't be cured.
Never really bothered me that much so i just forgot about it.
>>
Wow I used to do the hand flapping shit so much when I was younger, it has almost completely dropped off now that I'm 23, sometime if I'm super excited and pumped I'll just rub my palms together but not longer than a second and not repetitively maybe I grew out of it?
>>
>>17137144
>>17137310
>>17137406
How are/were you guys in college? When I study I tend to get distracted a lot :/

>>17137737
hmm ic
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.