[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/. I'm not sure if this belongs on /fa/ more than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Dry-Cracked-Fingertips.jpg (11 KB, 252x334) Image search: [Google]
Dry-Cracked-Fingertips.jpg
11 KB, 252x334
Hi /adv/. I'm not sure if this belongs on /fa/ more than here, that said, i'm sure you guys get tons of dumb health questions, but unfortuantely i've got to contribute as I figured someone here might be a bit more worldly in their knowledge and be able to help me.

I have pretty severe dry hands. I worked out on an oil rig for the better part of 20 years. I now work in an environment with hazmat stuff, and i'm washing my hands pretty much constantly. Needless to say, my hands are REALLY dry, fingers are cracked and they're starting to get bloody, which is a really bad thing when you're working with medical waste.

I've come to ask if anyone here might have an idea on how to fix my problem. I've tried some of the following:

New, more organic and less harsh soaps (more natural stuff, less chemicals), it worked to make my hands softer but my fingers are still dry and cracked, so it's not really much.
I used lotion for a while, but it seemed to make it worse, I think I may have been allergic or sensitive to something in that particular brand though.

I've tried using a variety of hand creams from a bunch of different companies, brand name stuff too, but it doesn't do much to help me as i'm washing so often I think it's just getting washed off before it seeps into my skin and moisturizes it.

I've also been sleeping with socks on my hands for a while, it really helps, but I still need to try and fix this in a more permanent way, so if anyone here has any ideas, i'm all ears, thanks in advance.
>>
There's a cream out specifically for dry cracked hands. Don't remember the name of it though. And I would say lotion but I guess that's not working for you.
>>
>>17136049
I've tried a bunch of those creams, from companies like nivea, and a brand called o'keeffe's working hands, which was advertised to fix the problem I have. It's what I use currently, overnight with socks on my hands so I don't end up rubbing it all over my face while I sleep, but it only does some much, i'm sure there must be something a bit stronger, or some homeopathic remedies someone has up their sleeve.
>>
>>17136043
wear gloves, homie
>>
>>17136053
I do, but I still need to wash, it's just procedure where I work, as i'm disposing of hazmat stuff. Every time I go on break or leave my work environment, I have to wash hands.
>>
>>17136043
Moisturizer as well phaggot
>>
>>17136043
See a dermatologist
>>
>>17136060
I've got an appointment and reference from my primary doc, just figured i'd give /adv/ a shot, it's no major health crisis and i'm not at risk of losing my job or anything like that, it's just something i'm sure i'm overlooking that would clear this up.
>>
I have dry hand skin, plus outbreaks of dyshidrotic dermatitis (reducing in frequency both as I get older and maintain my hands better). My hands have gotten as dry as yours on occasion.

* Moisturise, motherfucker
Pick the hand cream that's worked best for your skin, and stock up on it. Moisturise EVERY TIME you wash your hands. I'm not even exaggerating for effect, literally every time you wash your hands. Also consider slathering it on before you put your rubber gloves back on to give it time to really soak in. Continue your sock regimen at night if you find it's helping.

* Protect those fingertips
If your fingertips are still cracked and you're concerned about infection during work, consider wrapping the tips in plasters/band-aids to cushion them and give them an extra layer of protection. I know that would be a pain in the ass for removing/reapplying whenever you wash your hands, but you need to give the deep cracks some time to heal.

* Change your washing product
You mentioned you're trying to use less harsh soaps, which is understandable and will definitely help. Continue to narrow it down to the point where you find one that barely dries your skin at all when you use it. One I found recently is Lush's "Salted Coconut Hand Scrub". It's no cheap, but it's fantastic. Pretty much don't need to moisturise at all once I've used it, but considering your current situation, you might still need to.

Other than that, it's great that you're getting to see a dermatologist. Follow any advice they give, and I hope your situation improves soon.
>>
I have severe dry skin in the winter and the only thing that i found that really helps is Aveeno moisturizers. I use the intense moisture one. I even use the body wash too.
>>
>>17136043
Try pure lanolin.
>>
There are supplements you can eat to help your body have the materials to regenerate your skin faster. You should change your diet to incorporate a more oily diet.

For now, get one of those disposable vinyl hand gloves, slather blistex (not hte lip balm version the one that comes in a tube) on your fingertips and go to sleep with the gloves on.
>>
Why not just wash when you start work then apply moisturiser and non-latex gloves that you leave on all day. Wash the gloves for breaks etc and dispose at the end of the day.
>>
>>17136054
Wash them without soap or use less soap.

The soap is causing the problems.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.