[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I drink about 1/3 of a bottle of vodka each evening. Am I already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: Alcohol_problem.png (146 KB, 628x423) Image search: [Google]
Alcohol_problem.png
146 KB, 628x423
I drink about 1/3 of a bottle of vodka each evening. Am I already an alcoholic? I mean, I never get drunk and I never drink more than I can take, when I notice that I should stop or else I'll be hungover the next morning, I go to bed. I also never drink during daytime, only in the evening...

So all in all I drink about 8 bottles of vodka every month + maybe a couple of beers during dinner.
>>
>>17133034
If you can have a couple drinks and stop abruptly without discomfort or a powerful urge to continue drinking you are probably not an alcoholic.
>>
You drink a bit more than recommended, but that's hardly a drinking problem and definitely not an alcoholic
>>
>>17133043
size of bottle?
>>
even though I drink every fucking day? the thing is, I don't need much, but I have already noticed that I can drink amounts of alcohol that would cause others to pass out, and that I don't need to drink much, but the thing is... when I don't drink at all one evening, I am clearly missing something... I don't get shakes or anything, but I just feel uncomfortable if I have to stay sober for more than two days in a row
>>
>>17133049
0.7 liters
>>
>>17133051

Lots of people drink daily that aren't alcoholics. If you were an alcoholic you'd be finishing the bottle and walking to the nearest store for more
>>
>>17133054
If you're not even drinking a pint a day and think you're an alcoholic, relax.

You're just a recreational drinker. I don't even think you'd be over the driving limit after a night at that pace.
>>
Slippery slope. Only gets worse. Try to not drink when you have work next day etc.
>>
>>17133043
>>17133047
>>17133057
You guys are all idiots. 8 bottles (most of which I'm guessing he drinks alone?) of vodka a month means you're an alcoholic. You might only be drinking a 3rd of a bottle now, but It's just gonna get worse if you dont stop. You better cut that shit out while you still can because it's fucked
>>
>>17133034
I drink less than that, maybe two liters of beer per evening, but i'm really light, and if I try drink less I end up having to rush before midnight to the convinience store to get more, right now havent drunk for like a week
>>
Mate, 8 bottles a month alone is on the very verge of becoming a full blown alcoholist, and this is dangerous, because alcohol withdraw is crappy, life becomes crappy, aa meetings is crappy, and you'll start counting your days of sobriety, which is bad, because it means you associate your current self worth with x days you had your "final drink 5ever" that's terrible, alcohol is fun, IN MODERATION, you don't want to complete erridacte it from your life. but that's what you're going to HAVE TO DO ONCE YOU BECOME AN ALCOHOLIC.

Go without a single drink for a month, maybe a little longer, than just drink when you feel happy or feel like celebrating a victory, say you had an amazing day, weather is beautiful, you're sitting on your porch/balcony/park whatever, and enjoy a cold beer or a nice mix drink...don't become an alcoholic.

my 2 cents. sorry for formatting; on mobile.
>>
>>17133034
I'm going to make a broad unscientific comparison.

Seeing as how you're much like myself, except we have different recreational choices.

>I smoke about 2-4 grams of marijuana each evening. Am I addicted to weed? I mean, there's no such thing as too high, and I never smoke more than I feel like I should, or else I have to buy food earlier the next week. I also never smoke during the daytime (weekend exception), usually only in the evening.

>So, all in all I drink about 4 ounces of marijuana each month + a couple grams of kush (high end) once in awhile.

I've been at this pace with marijuana for years now, and actually I've cut back over time more than anything. I used to smoke in the mornings before work, and immediately after. But as of the past years, I'll get home, do some chores, and then end up rolling that blunt and smoking.

It's a recreational relaxation time for me, it's how I unwind at the end of my hard work day. I don't think I have a problem with it, sure I might order pizza more often than the average joe, but my habit is in no way out of hand, or diminishing to my life.

It's not an addiction, it's a habit.
>>
>>17133091
You're either an alcoholic or you're not. You don't become one. If he is a true alcoholic your advice is pointless because he will be unable to just drink on occasion.
>>
Being or not being an alcoholist has nothing to do with getting drunk or drinking during the day.
>>
If you're a homeless 60 year old begging on the corner for enough money to buy a half pint of vodka, you might then just be an alcoholic.
>>
>>17133097
Not true. You can do blow once every 3 months and not be a cokehead, you can do xtc once every 3 months and not be a pillhead. you can smoke weed once every month and not be a stoner. you can drink occasionally and not be an alcoholic. you start somewhere. you /become/ an alcoholic.

I don't know where you're on about, I talk from experience, and you?
>>
>>17133159
People are different. Not everyone who likes to drink is an alcoholic. If it interferes with your life in a negative way that you're unable to prevent, you might be addicted. But, he clearly is able to keep his head above water and still do what he likes to do.

Now if he's slipping shooters in to work to sip on, and is plastered drunk all day, that's a problem.. But, relaxing with a drink/drug on a regular controlled basis is not an issue.

I know several people who drink recreationally like OP, and I also know several alcohol addicts.
>>
>>17133170
fair, absolutely get where you're coming from, and you're probably right.

BUT

8 liters of vodka a month..... can become problematic...real soon.
>>
>>17133175
It's not even a pint a day.

You're basically saying a guy that has 3 beers give or take one or two is an alcoholic.
>>
233 ml of vodka DAILY is a scary amount. Really scary.
>>
>>17133183
That's like, 2 and a half drinks.
>>
>>17133190
And 2 and a half drinks daily is scary.
>>
>>17133051
then you are fucked and you better get on top of this now. i was going to reply to the OP saying the only way to know for sure is to drink NOTHING for ten days and if you don't experience any emotional or physically major fuck ups its all good.

but i've been where you are, that's going to get worse if you don't handle it asap

you aren't drinking so much per night that its scary the way some people are acting but if you /need/ those drinks every night... that's a problem
>>
>>17133190
One standard drink is 25ml. He is drinking nearly 10 standard units a day. The healty limit for men is 14 25ml servings of spirits,per week.
>>
>>17133243
Who the fuck puts half a shot in their drink?

Most drinks are two shots.
>>
You're pretty much a severe alcoholic by all official definitions but those are really ridiculous. I think the main issue is control.

Could you not drink for two weeks straight if you set that goal? (actually do it, not say you could if you wanted but then don't )
Does drinking interfere with your work or social life?
Do you get angry or moody if you don't drink?

The above questions are better indicators to addiction than the amount. I drink about a bottle of whiskey a week, but I don't think I am an alcoholic. I like drinking, but I feel like it doesn't interfere with my life and I have full control. I wouldn't be too worried but do be realistic with yourself.
>>
>>17133051
>I just feel uncomfortable if I have to stay sober for more than two days in a row

I'm this guy >>17133259
I just read your reply. That is definitely something to worry about and at least the beginning of an addiction. If I were you I would try to stay sober for at least 2-3 weeks and see the results. Remember you're an alcoholic forever, if you get addicted you will struggle for the rest of your life.
>>
>>17133245
25ml is a 'pub'measure and standard unit. He is drinking a huge amount and a lot of posts in this thread don't seem to understand the difference between a beer and spirits which are ,depending on the beer and the vodka, are ten times stronger.
>>
>>17133093
>I also never smoke during the daytime (weekend exception), usually only in the evening.
>I used to smoke in the mornings before work, and immediately after
so literally every living moment you are not working
>>
>people downplaying drinking daily amounting to eight empty vodka bottles on a monthly basis

What in the world?

Also OP, your number one clue is indeed that you get antsy when you don't drink for a night. That's not a healthy, relaxed relationship with alcohol, that's dependency even if you're still fully functional. No one experiences all the drawbacks from addiction right at the start. Those come when life gets worse, or when they start needing more for the same fix, or when they get too old for their body to handle the physical strain...
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.