[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 1459112178204.png (123 KB, 620x440) Image search: [Google]
1459112178204.png
123 KB, 620x440
Is there such a thing as being too self aware?
>>
No, that's just bullshit /r9k/ tells you to try to make themselves feel superior to "normies".
>>
>>17132083
I'm not trying to come across as a dick or anything, just wondering if there can be too much conscious thought
>>
What is that even supposed to mean?
>>
>>17132081
An increased sense of self-awareness can, of course, be the cause of some degree of suffering.
I'm a psychology major and therefore I'm constantly in contact with people who are "too self conscious" for their own good, which means that they brains just don't give them any "resting time". They oftentimes feel "plugged into their own frequency a little too much/too often".
The main goal if you're suffering from what I just described is to confront the ideas you come up with while being in these introspective states with reality (basically other people) to make sure that you keep yourself tethered to reality.
Plus, keep in mind that this is mostly an issue for people who have a score on IQ scales.
So bottom line here is: if you feel like you're a little too self-aware for your own good, try talking honestly about it to a trained mental health professional, they won't judge you and might even help you a great deal ! :-)
>>
File: Infinite_mirror_elevator[1].jpg (35 KB, 460x314) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_mirror_elevator[1].jpg
35 KB, 460x314
>>17132096
Think of it like a mirror within a mirror, except its your consciousness noticing itself, which then notices itself, which then notices itself, etc

I feel like that sometimes.....
>>
>>17132109
their* brains
a high score*

Sorry it's pretty early morning here in Europe
>>
>>17132081
YES I fucking hate it. I notice every little thing I say. I fucking hate it and i blame my girlfriend
>>
>>17132109
Yea that's the hard part, where I'm from people start to think all kind of things about you if you even mention such problems.

Basically i don't trust anyone (especially not senpai) to talk to about it.

And yes i would say I'm suffering, have been most my life but more so now than any other period of my life
>>
>>17132134
I understand what you're saying. I'm one of these people too. I've struggled a great deal with these thoughts so I feel you friend.
Think of it as being an expert in math (but in this case the math are your thought process): if you start talking about it to people who don't understand it, they might think that you're bragging about the stuff you know and they don't. This is probably how people react to what you say when you talk about it. Mental health professionals don't do that, ever. They listen and they will engage in a real conversation with you as a human being.
I also understand why you wouldn't trust anyone with these thoughts but let me be the one to tell you that they might become overwhelming one day and then you won't have a choice (so make that choice as long as you're free to do it, I did and it saved my life).
I also know that "it's been like this most of my life" feeling, but without help from close friends, family, or professionals it won't get better, it'll just accumulate until you burst.
>>
>>17132130
I stay away from relationships not because of it but because I'm afraid of what may happen
>>
>>17132147
My problem too is that i feel so unmotivated of late. I've been trying to figure out what i want to do with my life but nothing seems to interest me - even things that i found interesting before just don't do it for me anymore.

I mean if i can find someone like who you're talking about, i won't refuse the help but it's though.
>>
>>17132183
You actually sound exactly like me two or three years ago. Trust me friend, get some help with these issues it will do you a lot of (even unexpected) good. I can relate to your story 100% and nothing has helped me more in life than talking about these issues to someone who actually cares for your well being aka friends, family, or a mental health prof. But the thing with friend or family is that it's pretty hard to be 100% honest with them because you might be afraid of disappointing them with where you are in life. I know that you feel what I'm saying. Pick up a phone book, take a look at some reviews of psychologists near you and do me a favor and take a shot at it.
I have to leave so I won't be able to respond for at least an hour. Good luck in life if we happen to not meet again later !
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.