[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been working as a dotNET developer for a little while now and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Been working as a dotNET developer for a little while now and it is absolutely killing me inside. 60 hours per week, working on weekends, holidays, gained 30 pounds and lost a shit load of hair. I want out so badly, but I don't know how to do anything else. Does anyone know of a job I might be able to get where I don't have to work with code as much?
>>
>>17131220
salary?
>>
>>17131224
Currently making 60 thousand per year, job title is Junior .NET Developer.
>>
you could go back to school and figure out something else to be.
>>
>>17131224
BUT, I expect to get fired at my 3 month review, I'm simply not smart enough for this shit. I'm just a web designer, I spent my college years playing in PhotoShop and DreamWeaver. I'm fine tweaking a little code here and there, but this is some serious shit. He dumped some legacy project off on me and it is an insane mess of hundreds of SQL tables, partial classes, delegates, anonymous classes, design patterns up the ass. I don't know what the fuck I am doing. Having nightmares about drowning every night, and seriously considering throwing it all away and moving intoa trailer inna woods or some shit.
>>
>>17131234
skilled construction, carpentry, hvac, welding
should net the same. i found it a very rewarding college job. also night shift forklift drivers and long-haul truckers can make similar salaries.

you don't need a degree so if you hate it you can just quit and your not in debt for school.
>>
>>17131272
But coming from a developer job, what are good jobs to transition into if they know you were doing coding before? I'm thinking something like system analyst where some familiarity with code is an asset but where you don't actually have to do it all day.
>>
File: a total fuckin' loser.jpg (114 KB, 449x721) Image search: [Google]
a total fuckin' loser.jpg
114 KB, 449x721
>>17131259
gonna be honest with you famalam

You should quit. You hate your job and you have no idea what you're doing. All you're going to get is a bad reference, although HR can't say shit past you worked there, and an ulcer. Though you should find a new job before you jump ship.

The first job I got out of college I quit three weeks in. Just wasn't for me and the manager and trainer were pretty much telling me to get the fuck out as quick as possible. I worked as a genetic analyst and make nearly 40 grand a year.

I got a job two weeks later as a regulator which paid 15 an hour at first. I've been working for the same company for about two years and make a fuck of a load more than I did as at the other job. I make roughly 60k.

Shit happens dude. Don't lose your shit over it.
>>
>>17131286
you said you were bad at and hated things like SQL ect.
i'm a financial analyst that sometimes does system shit.

literally all i do is big data aggregation, statistical modeling, projection analysis and MOSTLY poorly organized and optimized SQL bullishit.
its a mess.
i make 30k less then you do now, i made more in construction.

i mean if you suck at something idk if something similar would be a good idea.
plenty of people looking for web design tho
>>
>>17131272
Careful jumping into these. The electrician's union has me on the hook for 30k if I leave/get kicked out.

They sprung it at our most vulnerable moment, after having been unemployed for 3 months in the training program. It was agree to the liability and go to work the next monday, or you just wasted the half year or so enrollment process.
>>
>>17131538
A shit load of companies doing this now. When you are desperate you sign their contract, which is thousands of dollars to buyout of. Then for two years, or however many, they take a percentage of your salary. But with how shitty the job market is, this is actually a good deal.
>>
>>17131259

If you have some money saved up, go do a crash course in UX - your practical experience in web design lends itself naturally to it.
>>
>>17131220

do freelance stuff on upwork while you learn new things that'll lend to doing a job you want to do.

you don't need to go back to school. you probably know at this point you can learn whatever you want on your own and all you have to do to put it on your resume it successfully do it in a monetized situation. school doesn't help you with that.

Upwork is going to be a pay cut forsure and you'll have to keep your motivation up to make a steady income, but you'll be your own boss and pick jobs only you want to do.

it's how you'll get diverse job experience without being a company's bitch. "wearing all the different hats" and being self-employed will get you away from working with code and into a position where you'll be directing code.

you'll have actual experience where you can say you came onto a project, consulted with the client, and got the job done.

also, work from home so that's a +
>>
>>17131259
Holy shit are you me. Thought I had all of this Web design shit down pat, a friend wanted me to overhaul her site she bought off one of those webservicessation where random guys sell their work to people who know nothing.

Long story short he had like 60 css files that interconnected and defeated the entire point of css. And the entire Web page was made in a way that screamed he didn't want anyone buying and modifying his work unless it was him.

No joke two weeks later I was barely grasping what the fuck he was doing and began modifying it but ran into a ton of issues.

Said friend went full bitch mode when she didn't see the results she wanted on a tight schedule after multiple sessions of showing her I was practically having to reverse engineer the entire cluster fuck of a site.

I didn't even involve anything server side, it was just a basic website with photos and media she wanted made for her portfolio.

Whole thing was insane, and I knew right then and there I didn't want to do this for a living because it would become inevitable that I would have hundreds more clients just like her that didn't understand how fucked the situation was.

Don't think her site ever got finished, she passed it to another guy and last I saw she still didn't have a online portfolio site set up.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.