[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>got a 1170 on the SAT >parents are disappointed in me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 1462724961119.png (100 KB, 370x323) Image search: [Google]
1462724961119.png
100 KB, 370x323
>got a 1170 on the SAT
>parents are disappointed in me
>think I'm an idiot and won't go to college
>tell me to just get a job and move out
Should I kill myself now?
>>
>>17130912
In your eyes is a 1500 good btw ? Just go to community college for 2 years then transfer.
>>
>>17130912
That's above average. Not sure what the issue is.
>>
File: bunyum.jpg (246 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
bunyum.jpg
246 KB, 720x960
>>17130912
SAT doesn't mean shit. All you have to do is study and learn how to ace the test. If that's all your parents care about then Torrent a study guide and grind that shit out. You are entirely capable of getting a 2400
>>
>>17130935
Out of 1600 now. The College Board changed the SAT. Essay is no longer required. So I got a 1170 out of 1600. :,(
It was a sad day when I slithered out of the abortion bucket.
>>
>>17130942
Is this bait?
>>
File: 1459595343524.jpg (27 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
1459595343524.jpg
27 KB, 472x472
>>17130958
Its not bait. My parents told me I should probably just get a job and not bother with college if I'm gonna get such shit scores. They think I'm a idiot now, they see me as a failure. I swear to God its not bait. My grades are the only good thing going for me, and I have like a 4.0 GPA. I silently cried for a good hour after I spoke with them. I still feel like crap. Tbh contemplating suicide.
>>
>>17130912
My parents screamed at me when I got a 1950 on the old SAT. Just say screw them. Colleges will take literaly anyone. Many colleges will be glad to have you with an 1170 on the new SAT. Be proud of yourself.
>>
>>17130912
>>17130935

This guy's advice isn't bad. You also don't even really need the highest score.. Depending on what you wanna do and what state you live in, sometimes you can find a school that is cheap (/because/ they aren't super high tier) but happens to be really good in what you wanna do. Find something like that and shoot for scholarships, then you will be looking at a good education for little to nothing. (that's my Scenario at least)

Good luck!
>>
OP, college is a meme. Have a reason to go to college before you go to college. If you don't, they will be the most miserable 4+ years of your life.

Even without a bachelor's degree, there are job branches available that can earn you significant amounts of money. Of course, a lot of them are more manual and more industrial than 'doctor', but unless you love everything about the medical field— the dazzling, the boring, the ugly— you won't make it in medical school. Same goes for any major you apply in. You've gotta have a passion for higher education to get the most out of a university. Without that, you're wasting your time and money.

So if you have that fiery passion, go to community college, transfer to a 4 year, and then live the dream. If not, find what you do have a passion for, and pursue that. Community College helps you try to find that sense of passion, but beyond that, it's a bad idea to go to a university with no clue about what you want to do.

If your passions don't lie in the scholarly fields, go pursue them, or find an enjoyable job you can work so you can fund those passions.

That's how you play the game of life. Don't just go to college because everyone's doing it. College is just a meme. If you don't think you'll fit in there, you'll never fit in there.
>>
>>17130981
Dude, that's not bad. I'm really sorry you feel this way, but I'm pretty sure that you have more going for you than just good grades.

I get hung up on my grades all the time, and it's such a waste of fucking energy. If you want, you should just study and re-take the exam in the fall. You'll still have time to send those scores to colleges, so that you can be viewed in the best light possible.

Sorry about your parents OP. I'm sure they just worry about you. Try to take their expectations as a compliment.
>>
>>17131026
>this

My degree fucking sucks. I really shouldn't have gone to college. It would've been better for me to get a job, save up some money, and think about what I'd like to spend my time studying. If you go to college with a real goal in mind, then you can accomplish a lot.
>>
>>17130981
Dude, I just graduated in astrophysics, and I have worked in physics education research for two years. Standardized test scores don't mean shit in terms of academic or professional success. They only predict success in standardized test scores. Are you going to let you get beaten by a single test result? Get back on your ass OP and show what you're capable of. Fuck your parents if they don't believe in you.
>>
So they changed the scoring? What percentile does that score put you in?
>>
You should get a job and move out.
>>
>>17130912
Did better than I did on it. Made a 960.

But I got a 32 on the ACT. So that just tells you it's all mostly bullshit anywah
>>
File: tmp_14457-old dude511760344.jpg (14 KB, 301x400) Image search: [Google]
tmp_14457-old dude511760344.jpg
14 KB, 301x400
>>17131004
>My parents screamed at me when I got a 1950 on the old SAT.
tfw people refer to the 2400-point version as the "old" SAT
>>
LOL if you still want to go to college go to a JC then a 4 year. WAY easier It's a WASTE of money to take your GE at a 4 year, especially if you're still figuring out what major you want.
SAT is literally obselete.
Transfer students have higher rate of 4 year acceptance anyway.
>>
to be honest OP your problems is really easy to deal with so, no, dont kill yourself just get shit done.
>>
"Drop out of college. You drop out of this family!"
>>
Try having a 2.8 GPA and 26 ACT
>>
>>17130912
Nah, go on and get a job, get an apartment, you'll be glad you didn't kill yourself later
>>
Like any standardized test, you can simply study for it. I plan on taking the GRE (easier math, but MUCH harder verbal) within the next two months and am fully confident about the score I will get because I'm studying for it.

Did you study for this test or not?
>>
>>17130912
lol I got a 2000 without even trying very hard

you are really stupid
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.