[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to get a credit card and not completely fuck myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (234 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
234 KB, 640x1136
Is there a way to get a credit card and not completely fuck myself over w debt?

Long story short, I'm dirt poor, however I need to move to a new state, in said state I will be able to get a really good job that pays well, but as of now I have no way of getting there without a credit card, which I'm nervous to get because they taught us in school they are basically scams and put everyone in debt. The job will pay well, so I'm hoping if I can have some self control, I'd be able to pay it off
>>
>>17130385

Get a secured card with a low limit - usually around 300.

The "secured" means you've already given them 300 so if one day you don't pay them they'll just take it from your security. You can't really get in worse debt, you can either build or fuck over your credit depending on how well you make your payments.
>>
>>17130385

Oh wait, you're talking about getting a credit card and treating it like a loan. Dude, that's exactly the wrong way to use a credit card. Get a real loan or just work with what you've got.
>>
>>17130385
>taught us in school they are basically scams
They taught you right. Never ever go for debt especially if you are poor, because once you get there, you will end up homeless.

>move to a new state
Are we talking about plane ticket, room apartment and food expenses?
You don't have any parents who might help you? How much dirt poor?
What about asking your boss for pay in advance. I am sure they can help you if give them good reason.

If everything fails, you can go for debt, but not by credit card, because they tend to be the worst in all other types of debts. If anything, go to bank and speak to them so you can get lower interest of such debt. But still it will be like a lottery.
>>
I wouldnt say they are scams, however you shouldnt use one without any money coming in. I use mine all the time because i know all i have to do is log in and pay the amount with my check account. I'm 23 but i have a really great credit score
>>
>>17130459
I'm talking money to get down there via plane, for food, and gas to get to my new job until I get my first check. My parents can't/won't help, dirt poor as in no income because I just lost my job and only have enough $ to eat for a little bit longer. Prob going to have to do food stamps
>>
>>17130474
asking your boss for pay in advance is your best bet.
going to bank for fixed amount of money is bad, but still better than credit card.

Also next time you want to save some money to prevent situations like this. For example cut like 20% of your income to second account and never touch the money until you will be facing death by hunger.

Good luck in your life quest, I am afraid you will need it anon.
>>
>>17130385
>they taught us in school they are basically scams and put everyone in debt.
They're honestly not mate. A credit card is kind of like a motorbike or a chainsaw - incredibly useful but will kick your ass six ways from sunday if you don't use it right, so probably best left to the grownups (that's not meant to sounds quite a condescending as it comes across). Here's how it works, or at least what I do with mine:

>get salary
>leave it in the bank untouched
>pay for absolutley everything through the month on credit card
>end of month comes
>salary, minus mortgage payment and a couple of hundred quid pocket money has been earning interest for a month
>pay credit card bill in full
>get charged no interest

The only way people get in to trouble with credit cards is when they spend more than they can afford - but that will fuck you over no matter how you try to do it. As long as you don't go in to it with the attitude of "oh hey, free money!" or "I can spend what I like, because it's not me who has to deal with the bill, future me can sort that shit out" you'll be fine.
>>
>>17130490
I just said I lost my job
>good luck you'll need it
Th-thanks
>>
Listen dude, people get fucked by credit cards because they treat like an unlimited gift card when in reality you should treat like a debit card. My dad is pretty good with this shit and he says credit cards are the best. Credit cards offer better security: if your card gets stolen and used, the bank can give you your money back. Better interest rates and some banks even have some cash back things. There's a lot more plus points but it only works if you have the self discipline to spend recklessly. Also my dad checks his bank account everyday so that he knows how spending is going to look like. Honestly go for it If you know you'll be responsible. Just know that having credit card is different from having cash on hand
>>
>>17130686
> Credit cards offer better security: if your card gets stolen and used, the bank can give you your money back.
If your debit card does not have that you need to switch banks.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.