[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's possible that I'll get a C/C+/B- in a class for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: all men are blood clarts.png (908 KB, 575x564) Image search: [Google]
all men are blood clarts.png
908 KB, 575x564
It's possible that I'll get a C/C+/B- in a class for the first time. Will grad school admissions boards be turned off by one bad grade on an otherwise strong transcript? Will going to a not-so-great grad school ruin my chances to get a high-paying job?

Some context:
>finishing up 6th semester at reputable state school
>major in philosophy, minor in biology
>hoping to go to grad school for a degree in STEM education to teach bio in high school
>class in question is a philosophy class
>end of last semester GPA was 3.94
>>
>>17130334
Fuck off.
>>
>>17130336
Why?

People tend to think that non-stem majors, especially philosophy, are just a meme, so everybody should have a 4.0 if they're studying anything in the humanities. I just want to know if it would look suspicious to not do well in a class that's part of my major
>>
>>17130334
grad schools in general look for an overall GPA of 3.4 or higher. If you have that, then you should be fine. Professional schools are more picky, though, so if you're trying to go to med school or law school then you'll need a 3.6 or higher and extracurriculars to be competitive.
>>
>>17130334
>Will grad school admissions boards be turned off by one bad grade on an otherwise strong transcript? Will going to a not-so-great grad school ruin my chances to get a high-paying job?
No, and no. Except maybe for Google, but Google is psychotic about things like this.

What was the course, and where are you in your education? Depending on your situation -say, if you were taking senior-level French as a freshman- you can actually spin this to your advantage. Everyone seeing a near-perfect GPA is going to wonder what you got the B in, and if you can make a good story out of that, it can give you an edge that no amount of perfect scores in this day and age can: it can make you memorable. When you stick out in an interviewer's mind (and the interview goes positively), you win.
>>
In most states you'll need a biology degree(with either a minor in education or a masters in education) or a education biology degree. There might be some states where you don't need an actual biology degree to teach, possibly california, they have relatively low requirements for teaching. I feel like a dick saying this, but being a philosophy major is likely going to hurt you more than a C in philosophy.
>>
>>17130472
Nah, in NYS you only need 30 credits worth of biology courses to teach biology. The reason that I'm doing the biology minor rather than the major is that I don't have time to take all of the other non-biology pre-reqs for the biology major (gen chem I and II, organic chem I and II, and 4 other non-biology science electives).

And you're absolutely not a dick for reminding me that majoring in philosophy wasn't a great move. It's the truth. There's more to it than a lot of people are willing to admit, but it's not going to land you a job. It kind of just funnels you into education and law, because studying philosophy is all about communicating effectively, breaking down arguments/chains of reasoning, and asking really good questions.
>>
>>17130737
Yeah, the problem you're going to run into is, a 4.00 in a philosophy program might get treated as a 2.5 in a biology program. What masters program are you going into? Have you taken any GREs yet?
I get trying to avoid the hard classes bio majors have, there is a reason its the major with the highest drop out rate. the ochems and biochems are not fun in anyway.

The professors in stem subjects, the ones you would need to impress typically look down on humanities. At least the hostility isn't as overt with philosophy as it is with things like english...Evidently there was a big shit show a few years ago over research composition and the english department pushing for MLA over Chicago when no one uses MLA in actual research. Ivory towers are scary places. Best of luck.
>>
>>17130755
If I'm going to get my master's right away, then I'm getting a master's in education for teaching biology. If I change my mind and decide that I want to do something with agriculture or clinical research (which is possible), I'll just suck it up, go back to school, and finish the M.S. in bio.

I haven't taken a GRE yet. I should've started studying for them a while ago, but it hasn't happened. :/

Yeah, I'm not super worried about being shot down for majoring in philosophy while I'm applying for grad programs in education. Lots of the people in that field are in the same boat as me, so I don't think I'd be discriminated against or anything.

And yeah, MLA sucks. I think everybody should just use Chicago. It looks cool as shit, it bumps up your word count, and footnotes are super convenient when you're reading a paper
>>
>>17130470
I'm a junior right now. The class is Philosophy of Social Sciences. The bottom line is that I'm not doing well in the class because I don't give a shit about the content, but I'm sure that I could find a creative way to explain that in an interview.
That's a pretty interesting thought though. Hopefully I can use it as an edge one day
>>
>>17130804
Yeah, I ended up taking Social Psychology when I was in undergrad...big fucking mistake. It was basically "every political philosophy other than mine isn't just wrong, its evil" the class, the professor was a marxist. I'm not really a political person myself, that class was my own personal hell.
>>
>>17130334
Get good recommendation letters and GRE scores and your GPA won't mean shit. As long as you meet the minimum gpa they really only care about prerequisite classes, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores.

Also major gpa tends to mean more than total gpa. So don't worry if this was a gen ed.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.