[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uni & Depression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
>randomly get depressed for no reason what-so-ever
>miss the next week of school because I'm too tired to even get up
>think to myself why even try
>missing assignments/tests pile up
>all classes grades gone from A's and B's to D's and F's
>get a letter saying I will fail
>now I have a genuine reason to be depressed
>mfw I still don't go the next day

Has anyone been through this? How do I crawl out of this hole I dug up myself. This is literally all my fault, yet I can't get the will power to fix it.
>>
>>17130008
You sound like you're trapped in a cycle of depression, and you need to break out of it! Challenge negative thoughts and assumptions right when they pop up--consider going to a therapist/counselor soon for help if you can't so this alone! Don't let it deepen or your problems to continue to spiral downward! GL!
>>
>>17130008
Get help from your uni and get extensions on your assignments
>>
File: 1425811806381.gif (344 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1425811806381.gif
344 KB, 256x192
>>17130008
I feel the same. Only 4 weeks left and the 5 most important exams of my life to go and I can leave.
>>
>>17130008
I feel bad I can relate soo deeply with this. Man I dont even find motivation to masturbate...Things are serious and I dont know what to do too.....
>>
>>17130211
What would I tell them. I don't want be labeled as "that depressed faggot" from there on. I don't really want any pity from them either but I don't know how else to approach this.
>>
>>17130309
It feels horrible. Things were going fine and then I give in last minute. Even passing would be a miracle.

I have one exam on Thursday and I haven't been going the past week. Who knows what they reviewed, while I was at home staring at a wall.

Its not even that I don't want to do it, I just don't have the energy both physically and mentally. I can't tell if I'm being a baby or this is an actual treatable issue.
>>
I went through the same thing. I never got help, and I flunked out of school. Now I am forever regretting wasting all that money and not getting the help I needed.

You need help. Don't let your brain convince you that it's not worth it. You're not going to be labeled "the depressed person". Nobody except for you and your teachers and your therapist even have to know. You can just say "you've been going through some shit that you're delaing with" if somebody asks and most people will leave it at that.

Don't let mental illness fuck up your life, because it can and will. Get help while you are able to. If you don't, you are suffering needlessly.
>>
>>17130345
It's not pity it's uni policy to cater to students with mental health issues. I had the same issues when i was in uni and the same mentality and i regret it because i could have had extensions. The uni sees you as a number so they won't care much about you being depressed it's a common issue among the youth.
>>
>>17130375
I would like to add, teachers are pretty understanding people. Teachers would rather see you put in the effort to fix the situation than to just lay down and let your GPA fall. They will work to accommodate you as long as you are working on making an improvement.
>>
>>17130364
That's likely a form of depression and it is very much treatable. Go to your school's doctor or counselor.
>>
>>17130008
Good pot helps. kinda.

Religion helps me , kinda.
>>
>>17130375
>>17130517
Would there be any way I could help myself without professional help?

My family is already going through some hard times and then them figuring out their son is a depressed sack of shit won't exactly make things better, even if I do get "fixed".

What is the usual treatment anyway?
>>
>>17130381
>>17130382
This, I used to not say anything and just fail shit but it's amazing how much you can still make right if you just ask your teachers and I found that out a bit too late. Just say you weren't feeling too well or was a bit stressed out or something.
>>
>How do I crawl out of this hole I dug up myself.
drop out and never have class again
>>
>>17130008
The exact same thing has been happening to me for the past two years. Started attending uni four years ago, was totally into it the first year and then it eventually all went to shit from there. I started skipping classes to spend time with friends/hang out at home, which, one thing leading to another ended up completely severing the moral ties that were binding me to class. I used to study my friends' notes, which turned out OK on the short term but was a complete disaster in the long run. I've actually had two breakdowns since (identity crisis much) and I'm currently in a mental hospital partly because of the anxiety that comes with "semi-intentional failure".

My advice to you buddy is as follows : if you don't enjoy what you are doing, get the fuck out of there and start doing something you really do find interesting. I started out as a psychology major and now I'm studying theoretical physics. Just do it man, allow yourself some fresh air or it will eat you up until you're done with your studies (maybe you won't even make it) and get a shitty job you never intended to get in the first place.
>>
>>17130008

I'm
>>17130640

I just realized that I forgot to tell you something really important : if you're not feeling well, if you think that the quality of your life has been slowly but surely degrading, just ask a professional for mental health advice or even just some counselling. You'll be amazed, I guarantee it.
>>
>>17130581
The usual treatment is counseling and/or pharmaceuticals, as well as suggestions to change your habits.

For example, the best non-medical treatment for depression is to reduce stress loads, get enough sleep, eat well and healthily, exercise, get enough sunlight, have an active social life, be comfortable in your self, and do things you find fulfilling. The more of these you can tick off, the better. Lack of these thigns is known to cause depression, and making sure you have them can sometimes be enough to fix it. If it's not, medicinal intervention is the best option.

Some depression is situational, thatr is the kind that is most responsive to the above suggestions. Other depression is more biological, caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. This kind may be improved by the above treatments but will not go away without medicinal intervention.

Pharmaceuticals can also be used as a temporary measure, to give yourself the energy to handle and improve your situation until it improves and you don't need it anymore.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (33 KB, 426x341) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
33 KB, 426x341
>>17130008
I'm fucking sick of uni as well
I spent all of last year doing a course I realised I wasn't really interested in (but getting pretty good marks)
Changed degree to what I actually want to do which seemed like a good idea except now I'm working a lot harder and doing a lot worse (might fail this semester)
I feel like I've totally wasted nearly a year and a half and am losing control of my life
>>
OP do you take vitamins of any kind? Part of your depression may be the result of a deficiency.
>>
I went through a largely depressive phase in my life when i went into university, my nudes got passed around, i lost all of my "new friends",
i started smoking large amounts of pot, my grades started to drop, i started doing camwhore work, my roommate tried to kick me out because of all the sadness that was happening in my life, she revealed to me that she wanted me to get raped, so she "that's why i've been making you keep the door unlocked for the past 3 months". My dad barely survived complete heart failure, i can see my mom losing her mind every day.

I took up meditation and mindfullness, also painting. I found a new healthy relationship and It helped me clear my thoughts very well.
I hated what i was going to school for, programming was never my thing.
reconsider your program choice, and hobbies, maybe even switch schools.
I'm excited to start my new field in 3D animation next year, things are finally starting to look up.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.