[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can I kill my parent(s) in the event of them developing dementia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 255x197) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 255x197
can I kill my parent(s) in the event of them developing dementia in old age, as long as I obtain their consent beforehand while they're still of sound mind?

I feel like lots of people do this in secret and it gets ruled as suicide or something.
>>
>>17129694
nope, it's illegal.
assisted suicide is a legal gray. but i wouldn't bet my $$$ on it for manslaughter or whatever else
>>
>>17129694
Even if they became brain dead veggies, it's still illegal, best you can do is hope for a natural incident/accident to take their lives.
>>
why would you kill your parents? Just move out if you don't want to take care of them, no need to kill them you fucking psychopath.
>>
>>17129774
sometimes, letting a person live as veggies are fate worse than death.

you're imposing cruel mercy there
>>
File: gary.png (820 KB, 702x652) Image search: [Google]
gary.png
820 KB, 702x652
>>17129873
if they're braindead they aren't going to give a fuck

and at that point you can legally pull the plug btw as long as they have a legally verified (in the presence of two third-party witnesses with signatures) order to say kill me if I'm braindead.

However dementia you can't do that, just make them a ward of the state I guess if you're a real cunt. Then you are absolved of all responsibility.

OP is a real fucking cunt though for even thinking about killing his parents in their old age though.

If my mom had horrible dementia and didn't even know my face anymore I'd still invite her into my home and care for her indefinitely. If she was a vegetable with no chance of recusitation though it would be morally OK to pull the plug though, absolutely
>>
>>17129774
My mom legitimately told me she wants to be killed off if she develops Alzheimer's
>>
>>17129887
no need to call me a cunt senpai, I've heard that doctors don't disclose the graphic details of the later stages to carers and my mind is working overtime.

I'm just thinking about if it got to the stage where they were shitting everywhere/forgetting how to breathe and stuff like that, in which case I was sincerely wondering whether I'd just be prolonging the inevitable if I didn't act. Plus, I made it clear that I'd only do it with their prior consent, something which isn't exactly unheard of.

I don't have some fucked up urge to murder them if that's what you're insinuating. I certainly wouldn't make them a ward of the state.
>>
>>17129694
You didn't phrase it tactfully, but this is a real consideration that many in the U.S. will have given rising incidence of obesity and therefore, related types of dementia and Alzheimer's. (If the other complications don't get the elderly first)

The answer is complicated. It varies from state to state and even with a durable power of attorney, the treating med professionals will make a determination with you and your parents on what their wishes are -- at that time. Dementia and Alzheimer's aren't like light switches. Patients have good days and bad days- sometimes contradictory to what they attest to in their POA and wills.

Some states like WA and OR perhaps VT are better about allowing right-to-die in the case of mentally progressive diseases, but enter generally I think 3 independent doctors have to sign off that said person has less than X months to live.

In the meantime, your family's anguish and financial burden can be enormous.

I don't have the answer for you, other than there is none until you reach that stage. You should absolutely discuss your parents' wishes with them, and ensure they have advance medical directives.

I would never want to "kill" my parents (or anyone), but as a caretaker now, I understand just how important it is to try to die with dignity. It's not in our control, though sadly. The best is to stay informed on legal ramifications and to keep an open discussion with your loved ones before you get into a complicated situation.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.