[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is fluency possible?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: fluency.jpg (31 KB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
fluency.jpg
31 KB, 400x220
>From Australia
>Learning Spanish
>Friend is learning German
>However she said that speaking perfect Spanish/German is not possible
>She said she met a person who married a German and she still gets the genders mixed up
Is fluency possible without relocating to Spain/Mexico/some other Hispanic country?
>>
>>17128741
Bump
>>
Yes it is. It just takes hard work and dedication. Look up some language learning forums, it's a pretty widely discussed topic.
>>
>>17128741

Your brain needs to be taught a language at an early age. All the slight nuances and tongue positions will never be perfected. That said, I believe an accent can be made to sound better.

I learned French a little later in life so I have trouble saying certain things and I also have trouble getting the genders right every time. A lot of the genders have to do with "feeling". And that feeling can more easily be taught early on.

I was drawing with a 3 year old this weekend and she said "la rose" (the pink) right after I said "le rose" (which is incorrect). So a fucking 3 year old gets the masculine/feminine part of French better than I do. This has a lot to do with their environment. I bet that if I were the one teaching this kid French from the beginning, her french would be all sorts of fucked up. But her mother is a French teacher so she will grow up knowing perfect French. I have friends who's first language is French and I find myself correcting their grammar. (In my head of course, I don't want to be a dick)

Sometimes words feel better with other words replaced. So a trick I use is to try different words in front of the word I'm having trouble with. For example: If I can't figure out if it's "un poubelle" (masculine) or "une poubelle" (feminine) I'll try using "la/le" in front instead. In this case "la poubelle" feels more right to me, and because I know "la" is feminine, I know that "une poubelle" is correct. Of course this leads to slower speech since you're searching for your words.
>>
>>17128948
Just curious, why did you learn French?
>>
>>17128948

>la rose" (the pink) right after I said "le rose" (which is incorrect)

wait what.

the color pink = le rose
a rose (flower) = la rose

I think you were right mate
>>
>>17128948
I just realized poubelle is a bad example since pretty much everything ending in "Elle" is feminine

>>17128990
I moved to Quebec at a youngish age where the majority of people in my town speak French.

>>17129040
I'm not sure about that
>>
>>17129057
Is the mother of that kid a native French speaker?
>>
>>17129057
>i'm not sure about that

I'm French.
>>
>>17128741
Fluency in Spanish < fluency in french
>>
>>17129116

I couldn't figure it out with Google but that seems weird to me. It's masculine even if "rose" is replacing a thing? In this case the crayon
>>
>>17129064
Yes, she pretty much only speaks French
>>
I started learning German at around high school age and now live in Germany and speak German. My German isn't perfect but people often tell me that I hardly have an accent, or don't notice one at all. I know I still have large difficulties in some areas and its not perfect overall but I think someday I will get there.
>>
>>17128741
>is it possible without relocating?
as a native spanish speaker that caught up english without ever moving away from my home country, I believe is possible.
However, you'll have to invest a lot of time practicing in your daily basis. Reading stuff in spanish, listening to spanish music, watching tv shows/ movies in spanish, all those things count as practice.
Now comes the question. Why the fuck do you want to be fluid in a language you'll barely use at all?
>>
>>17129230
>Why the fuck do you want to be fluid in a language you'll barely use at all?
Tbh I do not know myself. I just wanted a good challenge?
>>
>>17129153
Look, the flower, the rose is feminine "une rose".
Otherwise, if you're using it to replace a noun, like "it's the pink one" you follow the gender of that noun.
So it will be"j'ai utilisé le rose (en parlant du crayon)" or "j'ai acheté la rose (en parlant d'une nappe for exemple)"
>>
>>17129230
>I believe is possible
>want to be fluid in a language
Spanglish pls
>>
>>17129230

It's English though, everyone knows English.

Try learning a language from home that barely anyone speaks. You'll find yoursefl wanting to stab yourself in the eye with your needle dick
>>
Fluency is possible. It all comes down to your effort to immerse yourself with other speakers - native ones first and foremost, otherwise you're not practicing nearly as effectively as you still can and you're going to pick up the mistakes of others. Just because you're married does not mean you'll be fluent. She might not have been married for long, she might not have made as strong of an effort to learn the language, she might not have met many people in Germany to practice with- it's not easy to make new friends when you uproot yourself like that, especially if they have a different culture to what you're used to.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.