[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is being "sophisticated" seen as feminine or something?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1459380911259.jpg (136 KB, 426x364) Image search: [Google]
1459380911259.jpg
136 KB, 426x364
Is being "sophisticated" seen as feminine or something? Since I was a kid I fenced, read books and played classical music. I feel like girls are imposed by me, and when I asked them out they would just want to remain friends. I'm not necessarily bullied, but I feel alienated. No one really talks to me or invites me to parties or anything like that. I was even told numerously that I spoke "overly proper". I'm leaving high school now for college. How do I not be a total fucking loser in college?
>>
>>17127798
It's a spook m8. Do you enjoy these things? Then keep doing them. There's also a thread about being manly in the catalog right now
>>
>>17127801
So I can just calk it up to unfortunate encounters with girls then? I'm 6 feet and told I'm handsome on a few occasions. I'll take a look there though, thanks.
>>
Bumpo for more opinions
>>
>>17127798
>fenced
wow, such not your typical sport
>read books
double wow
>played classical music
triple wow
Nice, triple wow skills which are uncommon for average kids :-)

>How do I not be a total fucking loser in college?
Chances are higher for you to meet same oriented people if you will go to seminars. You won't be loser. Just make sure what do you want yourself from your life and comparing yourself to average people isn't a good idea.
>>
I personally believe they're very attractive hobbies, don't dull yourself down in order to attract people, you'll more than likely attract people that aren't worth it.

If I could find a male around me that reads as many books as I do, also plays classical (duets, woo!) and does something interesting such as fencing I'd be ecstatic! And speaking "overly proper" is the cherry on top.

Intellectuals often have trouble connecting with people, give it time, you'll find your group and a nice girl.
>>
>>17127798
>told numerously
>girls are imposed by me

You are either ESL or a fucking pretentious cunt and that's why no one likes you.
>>
I fence and read books a lot OP. But it doesn't come off as pretentious, so it actually does end up charming. Try relaxing a bit, and if you speak noticeably 'proper', stop if you can- Speak like whatever you want to, but be aware accent is a huge first impression and if its insanely posh people will judge you for it. Likewise if it sounds too weird, forced, or obvious that you do it on purpose, people will think you're weird, cringey or immature.

Stop trying and be more casual, keep doing the things you like doing, but do them cause you like them. Not because you want to be a gentleman.
Join your college fencing team too, and make friends there.
And don't be a fucking moron and alienate them by trying to act like a medieval fucking court official either.
>>
>>17128875
Thanks for understanding, it's just become common nature, it's not like I'm trying go deviate myself from everyone. Wish I knew you
>>17128888
You could say the same thing about some weaboo, I'm really not saying I'm better than anyone
>>17128982
I see, I guess I'm just too sheltered in that sense. I'm certainly no awkward weak dweeb, I don't quite know how to place it. It's the only thing I know to talk about. I'm really out of the loop when it comes to everything else.
>>
Don't worry OP brah, I was in your court for a while when I was younger. Just relax, stop trying so hard with people and enjoy the things you enjoy. Own it, and people will naturally be drawn to you.
And keep fencing. There aren't enough of us. What weapons you fence?
>>
>>17127798
If you truly enjoy these things there is no reason to change them. Don't lower yourself to meet the most common denominator, you will end up miserable.
>>
>>17129095
Can do then, I'm glad I don't have to give it up. I normally do Saber most of the time, I like foil as well. Don't do epee unless I have to.
>>17129127
Yeah, I try not burst into other people's lives and care about it, but I don't want to come off as an edgy lord over everyone.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.