[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any high school teachers here? What is your experience like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: polka dots.jpg (6 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
polka dots.jpg
6 KB, 236x354
Any high school teachers here? What is your experience like? Is the job as terrible as some people on other boards claimed?
>>
>>17126343
A good friend of mine is a HS teacher in a shitty area. He's White and 'teaches' 'minorities'. Make sure if you're going to teach that it's in an area where 'students' are willing to learn.
>>
>>17126352
Well obviously these schools suck. I hope I will never have to work at these places. What about the average non-ghetto schools though?
>>
>>17126359
If you get tenure, you're set for life. The complaint i hear is that teachers feel their underpaid for what they do. However, I feel they get paid fairly.
>>
>>17126343
Teaching in HS is about fooling yourself into thinking educating kids is worth the stupid bullshit they do. Also, you have to accept other politics completely unrelated to teaching are going to come into play, such as unions, internal school politics between faculty and administration, and students' social dynamics.

There's a vacuous sort of enjoyment that gets refreshed every now and then, because you know the bright ones are going to do something grand with their lives and they look to you for guidance, while also knowing the general population is mediocre, uncaring, and often antagonistic towards their future because they have no foresight, and often at times it's not their fault. And there's not really much you can do about that.
>>
>>17126343

i dont consider myself a racist, but i went to 5 highschool and would have to say that it really depends on the 'culture'. unfortunately large black populations tend to have a culture that treats school more like a babysitting service than an important phase in growth and development.

i lived in oregon for a short while and there was a healthy amount of diversity there, but the 'bad' students didnt seem to be of any particular race.

the hierarchy is as follows
>private school
>private religious (catholic) school
>military school (public school teachers refer to these as 'country club highs schools')
>small town white dominated school
>large town white dominated school
>the more minorities the worst it will be, namely cuz they succumb to their races culture
>>
>>17126366
>If you get tenure
Is it that easy though? I've heard that there are a lot of politics involved because of that.
>>
>>17126343
Every time I turn on the news I see some story about teachers having sex with students.

So basically anyone who wants to be a teacher is a pedo?
>>
>>17126385
Fuck no. You have to eat shit and walk on eggshells for years on end, competing with other teachers who are in the same position, and then you have to find a different school if they give tenure to someone else.

>>17126390
Students are more coercive these days, and fucking a teacher is a mark of pride to some kids.
>>
>>17126407
Not op, but doesn't some subjects eg maths have a shortage of teachers? Is it easy to get tenure if you teach those subjects?
>>
>>17126418
Bump
>>
>>17126418
Bump again
>>
>>17126343
The teaching itself can be very satisfying. The other stuff that gets in the way is not.

We're not left alone to get on with the job. There's loads of paperwork, school politics, dealing with a state B of E that constantly changes the requirements and the syllabus, parents who refuse to consider that their children might not be superstars, and a general culture that expects us to teach everything from being on time to table manners on top of our academics.
>>
if you are able to stand up for yourself, have good social skills, not take things personal, are mature and secure in yourself, have A LOT of empathy and are selfless, then teaching is extremely satisfying.
i know i love it.
the most important traits you need are SHITLOADS of empathy. seriously.
and you need to be able to see behind behaviour and social mechanics. else you will just get frustrated beyond comparison.
>>
>>17128334
>>17128354
How difficult is getting tenure? How bad is not having tenure?
>>
>>17126343
all that hot young booty in those skin tight yoga pants

.....but all you can do is look and drool
>>
>>17126343
>Is the job as terrible as some people on other boards claimed?
Not a teacher, but my wife taught high school for years. Still would be, but she got hurt on the job and is still recovering.

According to her, the problem is not so much the job itself as the working conditions. When you're able to actually teach, it's the best job in the world. When administrative bullshit is wasting your time or holding you back, it's... not so good. There is also the problem of professional respect; sex workers are respected even less, but in my country that's just about the only field less respected than teaching is. This does not help matters.

But, she says, when you can actually sit down and teach the kids, that can make it all worthwhile.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.