[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anhedonia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
I have diagnosed Major Depressive Disorder with melancholic features. I take SNRIs on a daily basis at the recommended dosage (for the last 1.5 years), and it pretty much keeps things on track in terms of being able to function. I can work, have a good relationship, go to gym, and can hold a social life insofar as I show up to events, chat and all that. My depression is basically gone barring the odd bout when something triggers me.

My problem is I am finding it goddamn hard to get into the things I used to enjoy. I was once very much into reading philosophy/politics, enjoyed binge watching series, and just general banter. Now it feels like a chore and I just seem to be going through the passage of time doing things with no real strong connections. It is all fine, just not really inspiring or worthwhile; I would rather be, well, I am not even sure. Most of my time seems squandered being listless and absent minded.

I have pin pointed it down to the following things as causes (or a confluence of the three):
>My mother dying, making me despondent (I was on medication before that).
>The medication dulling things, which is what they are intended to do.
>The MDD itself.

Does anyone have any advice regarding how to get back into things? Similar experiences?
>>
>>17125556
Talk to your doctor about what you're experiencing--maybe a modification to your meds dosage is in order! Allow yourself to grieve over your mom, and try to avoid thinking of your hobbies in negative terms...as soon as one of those words pops up in your head--stop and tell yourself that that's not true and try to resume or do another activity that you liked--or even discover new ones! GL!
>>
>>17125603

Thanks. I found your advice regarding avoiding thinking negatively about my hobbies useful; I do tend to think negatively and give in to the absent feeling.

Right now, writing this post, I went, "Why bother replying?" and then I told myself to "Stop, remember you enjoy thanking people for their help."

So, yeah, thanks, anon. I'll keep trying that one.
>>
>>17125556
Try a (temporary) change of environment. Travel, get away from your routine for a weekend, or more, if you can afford it. Taking a break may refresh your interest in what you used to enjoy. Also, everything this guy said:>>17125603
>>
>>17125663

I might actually have to do a jaunt away. I have been away a couple of days here and there; but I seem to be more focused on interacting with others. Perhaps I should do it alone or just my partner?
>>
>>17125672
Well, I think the point is that this getting away experience be very different from your everyday experiences, so that when you get back, the things you are used to seem like they are new and interesting again. If you think you have a partner or a small group who would play along, or who similarly want a little break, then why not go with them?
>>
Apart from the SNRI's did you have any other treatment, like therapy? There are simple ways of changing your thought patterns, but you need to have them clear before you can change them.

Also, weaning of the SNRI's might be an idea. However take that up with your doctor.

Thirdly, I don't know your age, but people change. And the rate of change decreases with age. It might be, just might, that you actually lost interest in your old hobbies. Depression is a major life changing event, so it does change your life.

Lastly, don't overthink things, especially things like change in behaviour, accept.
>>
>>17125685

Thanks, that sounds like a solid idea. I will try and arrange something.

>>17125806

I have done CBT and talk therapy in the past, but gave up with it. I have been thinking about going back again, however; I am just always sceptical about the whole process.

I am twenty two. And that is entirely possible; I may just need new things in my life :-) Thank you!

Thanks everyone; I am really thankful. This has helped me tonight.
>>
>>17125614
You're very welcome :) And thank you for replying and reading my advice--I truly hope that things improve for you!
>>
>>17125556
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NfeTavdiY8
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.