[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get past being afraid of talking on the phone? I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1462556565619.jpg (25 KB, 278x425) Image search: [Google]
1462556565619.jpg
25 KB, 278x425
How do you get past being afraid of talking on the phone? I have a crippling fear of making phonecalls, even if it's something I absolutely need to do. I can't even call about something as inconsequential as ordeting a goddamn pizza.
Has anyone moved past similar problems?
>>
>>17125443
Can you do things in person?
>>
>>17125450
It makes things easier but for things like paying bills I have to do it over the phone and I always avoid it until the last possible moment.
>>
>>17125454
Are you from a 3rd world country?
>>
>>17125487
Not at all. I don't see how that's relevant
>>
>>17125495
Most people do their bills online. Phone banking is ol' school cool.

You might have social anxiety.
>>
>>17125443
Just force yourself. I was like you then I had to make and received a lot of phone calls for my job. I still don't like them but I'm not afraid anymore.
>>
>>17125501
Okay, I see now. I'm living in France and they're pretty old-school with a lot of stuff like that.
I figured I might have some degree of social anxiety. Never been diagnosed though.
>>
>>17125518
go get diagnosed and do something about it before the french administration eats your life
Source :Frenchfag with Social anxiety who went 2 years without healthcare because he was scared to make phone calls
>>
>>17125521
Thankfully my time here is only temporary and my dealings with the French administration have been minimal (on purpose). I feel for you. This is probably the worst country for an anxious persin in that regard
>>
I am fucking surprised, frogs.

Back in Italy people hate phone calls on a regular basis and everything is done via sms. People love to meet you in person and ordering a pizza is as easy as showing up at the door.

Eventually you can have bills MAILED at your address, and then it is all about paying them using online banking or going at the post office and complete a transaction.

For
Fucks
Sake
>>
>>17125546
I'd much prefer that. This whole business of "I got your email, call me at 1-800-SUK-DICK" is bullshit.
>>
JUST DO IT
DON'T LET YOUR MEMES BE MEMES
>>
>>17125629
When I moved to Australia it was hard at first because here people do everything over the phone. Like, say, my mechanic leaving a voice mail instead of typing a text.

And Australia is pretty digital in many respects.

I associate phone calls to Anglosaxon countries. Where I come from, people prize counters over phones.
>>
>>17125443
The problem isn't uncommon, though rarely as crippling as you seem to have it.

The cause is a perfectly normal one - you don't get enough feedback on the phone to feel confident. In face-to-face conversations we constantly read the other's face and body language to tell how we're doing. On the phone we don't know if we're boring or ridiculous or just not communicating.

I can't give you an instant fix. But try this over time. Phone a friend who is in the same room with you and carry on a conversation over the phone while looking at him/her. You will learn how to tell from the voice alone what you normally get form watching the listener.

For purely business calls, like to pay bills, write out a script for yourself, so that if you get flustered you can look at it and remind yourself what to say.
>>
>>17126142
That'd probably really help, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks anon
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.