[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not really sure if this is the right place to be asking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
I'm not really sure if this is the right place to be asking this, but I could really use some advice about torrenting and data.

My current data plan really sucks and everything gets eaten up really quickly and I can't help but think that my torrenting might be to blame.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
>>
Some more info- I've been downloading stuff for years and my library is a little big. I think that also might be why so much data is getting used.

My share ratio is also pretty low and I can't seed everything because that's a lot of data.

Would be alright if I deleted most of my library and seeded the torrents that really needed it?

I don't want to keeping constantly burning through my data all the time but I also don't want to become a big leecher either.

Again, sorry if this isn't the right place to be asking but I could really use some advice.
>>
If you're on a public tracker you can leech all you like

If you're on a private service consider purchasing some kind of seeding
>>
>>17124031
Wow, I'm still learning about this stuff. I feel so stupid for not really caring until now.

I use Vuze to download my torrents and I'm pretty sure that I don't really have to sign in anywhere to get them, so does that mean it's considered a public tracker then?
>>
>>17124106
Yep, if you're downloading from somewhere like PirateBay or Kickass, you don't need to worry about seeding and can just stop the torrent immediately after downloading it

Of course, it doesn't help out other downloaders but if they wanted reliable downloads they'd find a private tracker
>>
>>17124120
Alright, so that's a huge relief. For a moment I was worried about being banned for having a bad share ratio or something.

I've been using Vuze for years but I never really bothered to sit down and actually learn how it works and I feel so bad because now I definitely think this is what's been eating through all of the monthly data.

And I'm not the only one on this plan too so I feel like the world's biggest jackass.

I have another really dumb question to ask if anyone can help.

When downloading a torrent file (like a TV series) are you also uploading the same file at the same time as well?

I just want to know because I really need to get a handle on properly managing my data consumption and I don't want this to happen again next month.

I feel so stupid for not being more careful and not knowing but thanks so much for the advice. It really means a lot.
>>
>>17124163
Most download clients will have two speeds when a torrent is running, Upload and Download, and they're self explanatory. You do seed while you're downloading, it helps newer downloaders get to your point in the download.

You can change settings to automatically stop seeding and downloading after completion, as well as setting speed limits for upload and download

If you want to be a real dick it is indeed possible to not seed at all in some programs, but it seems to somehow slow my download speed when I do it
>>
>>17124170
Hmm, I didn't really know about the simultaneous uploading until today. Although, it does make sense, especially if you're trying to download something that doesn't have a lot of seeds.

And I also didn't know about the seeding and downloading settings and limits either but I will definitely look into them for future reference.

I think I'm going to go ahead and clean out most of my library and delete a lot of stuff and try to start off next month with a clean slate.

However, I do believe in karma and I don't want to be a complete dick so I don't think I'm going to stop seeding entirely. That's just not fair to other downloaders. I'll probably also keep a few rare files open in my library too but not a lot. It's just too much data and again, I'm on a shared data plan and I have to keep my room mates in mind as well.

Thank you very much for the advice and tips though. You've been a a big help and I'm definitely going to be a lot more cautious and data-conscious about using torrents in the future.

Seriously, you've been a big help!
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.