[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there ANY college field that's worth it nowadays? >Go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_o54mwmNTQo1rpeq1jo1_500.jpg (63 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o54mwmNTQo1rpeq1jo1_500.jpg
63 KB, 500x500
Is there ANY college field that's worth it nowadays?

>Go with Engineering
>Can't find a job because millions of Asian super-nerds took them all

>Go with Computer science
>Have to sit in an office with autists and make Flappy Bird clones all day
>Get laid off because Rajeet in India does coding for cheap

>Go with Art
>>>>Going with Art
>>
Nah, the only way is to have connections anyway.
>>
>>17123399
>doing what 4chan tells you and not what you want to
Enjoy getting a degree in business then complaining on 4chan when you can't a job because you hate your field.
>>
You don't even need to be globally competitive or any good to get hired in a skilled field, all you need is to not be terrible. What they don't want is somebody coming into their workplace and actually making their projects worse.
>>
>>17123399
I wouldn't worry about Rajeet. The quality of work from India is usually pretty bad because it can hard for them to follow English instructions.
>>
Data
>>
>>17123399

If you want to sacrifice your youth and spend 8 years of your life studying there's always medicine.
>>
File: 1462612996538.jpg (1 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1462612996538.jpg
1 MB, 1200x800
>>17123429
In the West it's pretty crap, you can half-ass your way to world class. In South Asia it's chaos and nobody has a clue what's going on. In East Asia it's a poor man's activity. Just be scared of Russian competitive coders and Japanese recluses.
>>
desu if I did what I wanted id be an artist
but then id be stuck in a highly competitive job with zero security and where being into the latest fads matters more than talent

also 80k salary if im extremely lucky
>>
>>17123399
Go to pharmacy school. I've never seen an unhappy pharmacist.
>>
>>17123621
Isnt that basically like being a doctor but you're also a huge wagecuck?
>>
>>17123399
The world is in need of more vaginal maintenance technicians, it's a challenging but very rewarding profession. There will always be vaginas that need adjustment
>>
>>17123399
you have no idea what you are talking about,right ?
sounds like you got all your knowledge from 4chan
>>
I've no idea OP. I'm currently up to my eyeballs in student debt from law school and my grades aren't looking good enough to get me into a good firm.

>tfw used to date chick who's dad was a partner at a world class firm with 50 different locations
>dumped her because muh pussy in college
>now i'll never get hired

theres always the rope....
>>
>>17123725

I've always wondered about American practices in that sense. Are you not able to land a job at an average firm, gain experience and build upon that?

It sounds rather strange to me that you're fucked for life solely due to your grades.
>>
>>17123751
Well the thing is it takes many many years if not decades to build up enough trust and reputation within a firm to become partner. That's why lawyers will try to land the best firm possible on their first try and then work their way up. I could technically start out at a shit tier firm and try to build upon that but what that means is that I wont be seeing partner status before im 55. It's honestly such a shit show and I regret taking this degree so much. What I needed was a reference or connection that would place me in a good firm. I'm lining up my articling now and its not looking good whatsoever
>>
>>17123766
I see. It's kind of the opposite way where I am from. Obviously people strive to land their first job in a solid firm, other's are actually taking a different route. My girlfriend just graduated and has landed a job within the public sector, I found it strange and asked her a bit about it (since she's specialized in Enterprise law). Her rationale is that she'd rather work there for a few years and build up experience rather than risk breaking her neck the first few years at a prestigious firm. She actually got offered a position at one of the best ones.

Then again, I'm studying Business Administration & Information management, so my knowledge regarding law is somewhat limited.
>>
>>17123653
yeah but with like none of the schooling or responsibility

Don't act like anyone here would not sell their soul for a crisp 20
>>
>>17123777
That's an interesting approach your gf is taking. Do you think that working, lets say, 10 years in the public sector would be commensurate to years in the private sector in the eyes of big firms? At my law program at my college people who go into public sector law are looked at like humanitarian workers, like no one does it unless they have a huge heart and dont care about money (very few law students)
>>
>>17123412
This basically

Life fucking sucks ass, why would you pursue a degree you dont want because of some shit chart or because of something some autist said on 4chan. Life is going to suck fucking dick no matter what you major in, might as well choose something you actually enjoy.
>>
>>17123792
Please write a philosophy book
>>
>>17123787

Where I am from, it would commensurate. Obviously there are snobs within her lawschool, but competition is fierce and from what I can understand, a lot of her friends got stuck because they wanted nothing other than that one job at the prestigious firm, so they keep applying and are getting nowhere.

I think it's a strategic consideration on her behalf. Personally I think she'd easily be able to manage the position at the prestigious firm, but I support her since it is not what she wants right now.

I think it all depends on how it is pitched. I used to work at a nursing during weekends which actually got me a job at a large and prestigious consulting agency, they hired me due to people/communication skills, the rest they didn't care much for since they were ooing to mold me anyway.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.