[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I lack empathy or are people just too sensitive? I understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: paint7.jpg (65 KB, 359x480) Image search: [Google]
paint7.jpg
65 KB, 359x480
Do I lack empathy or are people just too sensitive?

I understand the way someone can feel, but I have a hard time connecting with people on an emotional level and when I say I'm sorry or try to offer kind words, I'm doing it out of respect desu, so it isn't like I actually care/feel about what anyone is going through. Isn't that most of you do anyway? Be honest, does someone else's problems actually matter to you and is it easy to empathize?

Because I don't get it. It makes more sense to think that people are just selfish and fake and will make someone else feel important when it really doesn't matter to them since that's what I've always done when it was necessary
>>
Other people are always wrong.
>>
>>17120024
A little bit of column A and a little bit of column B
>>
>Do I lack empathy or are people just too sensitive?

Being empathetic means understanding people that aren't like you. Even if someone is oversensitive you should be able to empathize with them.
>>
>>17120024
I have this idea that on a subconscious level, people only do things for others for some kind of gain. They may not necessarily want something from the person they're helping (even something non-material like expecting a thank you or even friendship is some sort of gain). Sometimes if they feel good about helping someone, that's them fulfilling a selfish desire to be charitable/good. It's not necessarily wrong since most people don't realize this is the case (assuming that this case ever applies that is)
>>
>>17120036
I think you're getting sympathy and empathy confused. Like I said, I can understand why people feel certain ways when they have a reason to, but I still can't see how it would affect me
>>
Must be a sociopath
>>
>>17120052

I didn't read your post properly because you were rambling. The way you posed that question suggests you are asking "Am I crap at reading people, or are some people just irrational and unable to be read"?

I didn't say you had to feel sorry for them (be sympathetic towards them). I said if you were empathetic enough it wouldn't matter whether someone was oversensitive in regards to understanding their emotions.
>>
Sociopath, the word you're looking for is sociopath
>>
>>17120024
Go on YouTube and look at some vids about narcissism and see if that's you. People like you are unable to empathize and so all of your interactions in regards other people are for your own benefit . But this may have been caused by righteously judgemental parents.
>>
people are sensitive creatures

lack of empathy sometimes is a sympton of authism and asperger
>>
Depends on the situation. When people are forced to apologize, no they don't generally mean it. Like when someone gets in trouble and is told to apologize to a boss, parent, teacher, etc.
There are cases like friendships/relationships where people apologize and really mean it. Because when someone has a close personal relationship sometimes it hurts them to realize they hurt someone they are close to. Though likewise, sometimes people apologize in order to save a relationship for selfish reasons, so there isn't some absolute rule.

If you can't ever imagine genuinely feeling bad for mistakenly wronging someone, then yes you lack empathy.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.