[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we self-sabotage? I know what's good for me but I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1461034443080.jpg (998 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
1461034443080.jpg
998 KB, 2880x1800
Why do we self-sabotage? I know what's good for me but I always procrastinate. For example, I know even a few pushups will make me feel better but it's almost like deep down, I don't want to feel better. Why?
>>
It really depends.

Are you sabotaging your health? Are you sabotaging your social or love life?
>>
>>17118388
Because it's hard to imagine that you'll actually feel better.

Put more effort into my body? Sure, I might like the results, but I'll be fighting myself constantly in order to not go back to where I am now.

Oh, [desired sex] will like me more? Glad to know they don't like me for who I am and just want me to look a certain way for them. Great that all of who I am as a person is a whole 10% of what makes me worth the time of another person.

I'll -feel- better? I'll just be giving up thing by thing until all I can eat is leaves and nuts, and I have to spend more and more of the free time already made limited by the fuckstain job I'm forced to live with having just to maintain a body that makes me hate everyone who treats me different for having it.

Yeah, no. I'll take being a lazy fatass. I've been down the "get healthy your life will be good" road, it made me want to put a gun in my mouth.
>>
>>17118443
I'm talking about sabotaging the main important things in your life: health, job/study, and relationships. All in favor of instant gratification, comfort, you know. Even though you feel empty inside, you still do nothing to change.
>>
>>17118461
>health
Because being healthy is hard.

>job/study
Because jobs and studies are unpleasant.

>relationships
I honestly don't know why people complain about these, the only hard part is getting one started.
>>
>>17118466
Yeah but why are some people able to do things even though they're hard? Or at least, force themselves to do what's right for them?
>>
>>17118456
It's not that hard to imagine you'll feel better. I know for a fact that even a few pushups will boost my mood but I just refuse to do it for some fucking reason. I don't know what's wrong with me.
>>
I don't know but I'm interested in this too.
>>
>>17118388
You enjoy whatever benefits you receive from your current lifestyle. In your mind, losing those aspects won't yield enough of a return so you don't bother.
>>
>>17118515
Yeah, you believe it's not worth it. But in the process you self-sabotage. How do you get yourself to believe that it's worth it (yielding enough returns) ?
>>
>>17118543
I think back to times when I was at my best mentally. They were the times when I limited by shitty eating, did a basic pushup/squat routine, and meditated regularly. You slowly stop giving a fuck about the things that make you feel so loathsome and start getting interested in new things. I end up reading a lot of new books/articles and picking up new skills during these times.
>>
>>17118388
It's because all we know is saddness , anger and all those bad emotions. We are scared to feel happy and loved
>>
Because at an instinctual level we don't care about tomorrow.
>>
Approach avoidance It's part of the motivation we have psychologically
>>
>>17118388
I have no idea why. For example, i have to take these pills for a medical condition and sometimes my subconscious persuades me not to for several hours despite the fact that it feels fucking awful. I'll just sit around being miserable and brooding, thinking about all the shit that's gone wrong in my life. Eventually i snap out of it and feel fucking dumb, but it's gone on for days before (no friends to slap me upside the head).

And it's not like there's any effort involved in it at all, i just have to walk over to the cabinet and swallow the goddamn pill.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.