[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning Japanese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 900px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png (12 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
900px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
12 KB, 900x600
So, I've decided to stop being a desu-spamming pleb and actually dedicate myself to learning Japanese. I studied Chinese for four years in high school but was never any good at it because I wasn't motivated and the teacher was mediocre, but I still remember a decent amount of it which will presumably help with kanji. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, tips, textbook recommendations, etc., either anyone who's studying/has learned Japanese or really anyone who's learned another language.

>inb4 don't
>>
>>17116050

Go to the daily Japanese thread on /a/

They got a guide for this self-learning shit.
>>
>>17116050
Do you want JP for speaking or for reading/writing? I had to take German in college and there is a huge difference between the two. Reading/writing is more grammar-dependent while speaking is heavily influenced by local dialects.

Basically, learning "high Japanese" like I did "Hochdeutsch" might not help all that much in understanding anime through listening unless everyone happens to speak with perfect grammar.
>>
>>17116068
Surprisingly, this decision wasn't influenced by the desire to understand anime in Japanese, although that would be nice. Anyway, I'm going for an ability to read/write and speak. Not setting some low-bar shitty goal for myself.

>>17116055
Thanks, I'll czech it out.
>>
>>17116050
Go there. I learn more Japanese every time I go there than I do reading shit.
>>
>>17116260
I'm a broke student tethered to the US by my lack of money and desire to complete my degree, so that's out of the picture for now.
>>
>>17116276
If you're a college student can't you just take classes in it? Hell my college forced me to take a language and that's why I ended up taking German.
>>
>>17116279
I learn faster when I study things myself.
>>
Taking classes help you learn the basics. Learn all of the hiragana and katakana symbols. Then start learning grammar.

The most popular Japanese textbook is called Genki. It's what I used and many others as well, but personally, I have my own issues with it. At the same time, I haven't really found anything better. If you go through all of the Genki textbooks, you should know enough to have a conversation. There will always be more grammar and vocab to learn, so there is no exhaustive set of books. You need to engage yourself in the language in order to really set it in. Otherwise, self-studying a language doesn't really work.
>>
>>17116454
That's kind of what I meant by self-study. I just meant outside of a classroom, not necessarily completely isolated/without contact with native or fluent speakers.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.