[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any anons here gone thru drepression, constant isolation, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 269x187) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 269x187
Any anons here gone thru drepression, constant isolation, and anxiety attacks and how you got over it?
>>
Yep

Cognitive behavioral therapy and anti depressants worked for me. I also had a family support network that wouldn't let me give up when it got hard, which it did.
>>
>>17113012
Quick answer, I didn't. I've just been better. Uninstalled all of my video games, started reading more and hanging out with people. Working out also helped out a lot.
>>
>>17113012
apples everyday
lifting/running every second
learnings spanish too

cross the finish line of your first half marathon and tell me you feel depressed. bam depression fixed

it's like a flu anyway. i know it's a lot tought, but goes by, afterwards you're just sad about all the time that was wasted.
>>
>>17113012
me

I'm still getting over it. one of the best things you can do is gradually get out of your isolation. I went to individual therapy on and off for a number of years, but recently switched to group therapy. personally I think that is helping more, as it is bringing me out of myself a bit more.

sometimes just forcing yourself to go out and do things with other people helps. even if you can't commit to doing it on a regular basis, just try different stuff. IRL is best, but if you can't hack that, find some online communities, or even IRC channels or something, centered around stuff you're interested in.

and if you can make yourself go outside but can't do the talking-to-people thing, then just go out and take walks or get some fresh air.

learning new skills is good for keeping your brain stimulated. one of the shitty things about long periods of depression is that your cognitive abilities can kind of atrophy. so learn new things, read books, do puzzles of some kind. learn to draw or paint or sculpt or play an instrument, get some creative expression going. art therapy isn't just a meme, it helps.

MMOs are a filthy habit and in general I don't recommend them, but honestly I have met some good friends through playing older MMOs like ultima online where there aren't as many 12-year-olds. so if you're reeeeeally depressed and can't bring yourself to go anywhere besides bed, fridge, toilet, and computer (god knows I've been there), that's an option. just make sure you spend some time doing other things as well. and if you do play, join a guild/clan and get some social contact.

and above all else: don't allow yourself to continually make excuses, BUT don't be super hard on yourself either. don't beat yourself up because you're not doing better or because you didn't do this or that. be kind to yourself and be patient with yourself. you'll get there OP.
>>
How do you know when you're depressed? What's the difference between depression and just stress?
>>
Lifting weights, seeing a counselor, and taking the right mix of antidepressants.

It's okay to need medication. There seems to be this stigma or thing where they want to deal with depression without meds. Depression can be a real chemical imbalance that no amount of meditation and breathing exercises will fix.

See a doctor. That's a start.
>>
>>17113064

Any advice on antidepressants? I've been doing talk therapy for a few months. I feel better from it, but I'm still having depressing feelings and emotions.
>>
>>17113022
How well did CBT work? What changes have you made to our life? I finally contacted someone so that I can go through it.
>>
>>17113169

Just having someone to talk to is really nice. Even if I have nothing going on, I always leave my therapist's office a little bit happier.
>>
>>17113048
This is OP. I had a mental breakdown last year. Doctor prescribed me antidepressants, which helped. I began to see a change. No irrational thoughts. I was taking care of priorities. Stopped taking meds and those negative feelings came back. I was going through old pictures, starting from the age of 4. I was never smiling in any of the photos and everyone else was. Then it hit me I must be clinically depressed.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.