[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have luck with pic related? Almost halfway through and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: carnegie.jpg (13 KB, 178x283) Image search: [Google]
carnegie.jpg
13 KB, 178x283
Anyone have luck with pic related?

Almost halfway through and it seems very insightful and a cure for my social retardation, but i'm still working on applying it. Love it so far.
>>
>>17112888
I listened to the audio book a few times. I feel like it applies more to the professional/business world than average Joe's trying to break out of their shell. desu I noticed better results after watching hours of stand-up
>>
OOh, that's a good idea. Got any reccomendations specifically for getting along with people and being liked?
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 600x193) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 600x193
I get better results from just doing things I like and reading calvin and hobbes, that's why I post it. Never read the book though I think there isn't any system to help you out, though believing in God has helped me out immensely as I grow.

I suggest taoist philosophy to bring in balance in your life and action without action. It all goes back to just being yourself and not forcing anything or trying to give off any image or control anything
>>
>>17112964
say hello to people
remember their names
smile when you're in a good mood

makes a world of difference
>>
>>17112888
Nice trips.

I was a little put off by it when I tried reading it many years ago. Basically it was saying to be SUPER nice and forgiving and always be take the initiate to be interested in THEM. I'd already been doing that for the most part and all it got me was walked over, forgotten, and taken for granted.

Might be mistaken, might give it another look if someone corrects me tho. Can't take a trips endorsement lightly.
>>
>>17112888
Its important to do normie things. Things that are cool. One might watch Game of Thrones right now because its popular. Or you might say that "The Life of Pablo" is really good by Kanye, despite you not liking rap. Its essentially just a conversation starter. What sounds better
>Did you watch the newest GoT?
>OMG YES IT WAS SOOOO GOOD RIGHT?
or
>Did you watch the newest Got?
>nah i dont really watch TV
end of conversation

Also, its nice when you remember little details. For instance, once when I started working at a new restaurant, the first time I interviewed my employer had a soccer hat on. Like my first day, I just casually brought it up that I watch soccer too, and he got really into the conversation. Try to relate on little things.
>>
>>17112982
You are what you believe yourself to be. If you believe yourself to be a loveable little sunflower made specially by literally the most powerful creature in existance, you will often feel happier than someone that does not believe in god.

As an atheist, this is one of the few things I'm jealous about when it comes to believers. Ignorance truly is bliss.

That being said, I have read the op's book, and that along with leadership courses I've gone through in the military have made me a pretty confident person in approaching people. Actually making friends is hard for me though, but I'm sure that has more to fo with the antisocial way I was raised by my legal guardians than my atheism.
>>
>>17112888
Personally I prefer Succeedsocially.com.
Simply because the guy who wrote it goes into much more detail.

Most social books like "How to win friends and influence people" aren't made with complete social retards in mind. Succeedsocially.com on the other hand is.
>>
>>17112982
Information is key.
There may not be a fool proof system but understanding the hows and the whys is important.

For instance, if you're somebody who is trying to become productive. Understanding the fundamentals of habit building and willpower would definitely be very helpful than have no understanding of them at all. In fact, it's a common theme with a lot of people. They rely on conventional wisdom, most of which is false, which is why you still see them making impossible new year resolutiosn every year and always failing them.
>>
I listened to the audio book. I feel like the book was well put-together and that the advice was probably very useful in situations like the ones described in the book, but that I was probably not the intended audience. Thus, the advice has helped me somewhat and it is something that I do try to keep in mind, but it hasn't revolutionized my social abilities.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.