[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a Professor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: sgambbfnxjoprt8wi8m6.jpg (212 KB, 640x416) Image search: [Google]
sgambbfnxjoprt8wi8m6.jpg
212 KB, 640x416
Much of the /adv/ population is in college, so I thought this might be a good idea.

I'm a University professor and researcher. I'm a doctoral candidate and I have been teaching college courses for 3 years. Any questions about college life, careers, or the like: ask your professor here.
>>
>>17110310
Which uni? What is your PhD on?
>>
>>17110310
Faggot?
>>
>>17110310
what should i do if i forgot to pay tuition
>>
somewhat underhanded methods to gain professor favoritism?
>>
>>17110314
Prefer not to state the Uni because it's 4chan and this is my career (also, if I did you could narrow down my identity very easily) but my PhD is in media psychology. I study mass media and human interaction, specifically video games and human-avatar relationships. I'm a quantitative scientist, so my research is mostly just statistics reporting, but I've done considerable experimental work as well.
>>
>>17110331
You should contact the office of student accounts or whatever the name for that department is in your university. The financial offices at colleges are really, generally, very focused on making sure you can attend college. They will help you find loans or scholarships that will work for you; however, if you haven't payed tuition and it's past the point of the new semester sign-up date, you're pretty much SOL.

>>17110332
I'll be honest, we typically hate our undergrads because you guys are jerks (in general), at least at large institutions. This doesn't apply to all of you, but we know you're going to try to kiss-up to us in hopes for a good grade. The best way is to be genuine and offer to help or assist with anything the prof asks you. Talking to us every day after class is okay and might help, but don't get annoying about it.

Basically, just be interested in the subject matter and act like you care. Better yet, actually care about the subject matter! We spent 7 10-14 years learning this shit
>>
>>17110353
As an addendum to this: no prof worth his shit will give you a better grade on a multiple choice test depending on how much they like you. Sometimes, and I will admit to this, we will ease up a bit if you've been a good student but your paper just isn't up to par.

Generally, my students love me, but I am a very harsh grader and I've rarely had any complaints because my students know when they fucked up.

Getting to know a prof will never get you a better grade. The best you can hope for is a little leniency because we think you can do better; however, this can be a double-edged sword. Some profs will grade you more harshly if they like you and your work is not up to snuff. So, really my advice is: don't fucking try to suck up or get one over on us because it won't work out in your favor.
>>
>>17110310
I am not a hard worker. I don't expect I'll be able to make it through college at all.

I'm terrible at math. How does someone who draws blanks at any sign of math learn to do fucking calculus? Not only that, math infuriates me if I try to study outside of class because I just simply don't understand it. The only way I passed HS math was by stuffing right before a test, which would then end with me forgetting the entirety of what I had learned.

Lastly, is college just a meme? I obviously don't think I can handle it, but if I don't do it what the fuck am I supposed to do?
>>
>>17110310

> I study mass media and human interaction, specifically video games and human-avatar relationships

Sounds nice, did you study psychology ? sociology ?

I'm not in the US, I'm in Europe but it's a random question that should be equivalent : What should be my behavior if I want to become a teacher rather than just have my degree and go on in my life ? I'm rather messy and an anarchist at heart, I don't follow any rules, skip some classes because I know I don't need to study them. (Statistics mostly, that shit is easy when you got it)

Anyway, how should I behave to be noticed as a future teacher ?
>>
>>17110420
Okay, well first of all, I got through undergrad math by taking compsci courses and a class called "Math for the Creative Imagination" which was like math for retards, and now my primary work is in statistics!

Don't underestimate your ability in mathematics based on high school. You probably had a lot of bad teachers, which is what happened to me. Math can not only be easy, but also fun! You just have to find what interests you. For me, it was stats. In college I went from thinking I was a math retard to being a math-centric person.

Is college a meme? Yes, kind of, in that it's not for everyone. What do you REALLY want to do with you life? Will a college degree help that? Think about the value of a college degree and if it's applicable to your life.
>>
>>17110445
I'm taking the sat in 3 days. I am very worried because I am attempting to study the SAT math but basically don't understand any of it despite learning it this year. I enjoy solving algebraic equations and following a logical path but I have a really hard time learning math at all without someone directly in my face holding my hand through it the whole way, and it is far too late for a tutor because I was procrastinating learning any math. English? I almost get 100% every time on psat's.

I don't know what I want to do with my life. I'm not asking for advice here but I'm very depressed and lost and will almost certainly end up going to college because of family pressure.
>>
>>17110443
Communication, is basically a melting pot of psychology, sociology, and anthropology.

Behavior really depends. When you're getting into a field be very prim and proper but once you're established you can also assert you individual personality. Students respond very positively to individualistic personalities, in my experience. They like to know that you're real and not a plastic doll.

To be noticed? Shit man, outside of academe I have no idea on how to get noticed apart from getting your kids to love you. You have to make learning fun. Why are you a teacher? Because you liked something about learning, yeah? Well instill that in them. Make your kids LOVE to learn and you will be a memorable teacher.
>>
>>17110458
First of all, you can't really study for the SAT or the ACT. You can prepare, but studying doesn't help much.

To me, it sounds like you just haven't found a passion for math even though you're capable of doing it, and that's okay!

Don't feel pressured by your family to go to college. Again, what do you want to do with your life? I would always suggest taking the SAT/ACT in case you change your mind later, but at this fucking second, what do YOU want?
>>
>>17110459

Meh I just want the title because I'm a poor fag and I'd love to prove society I'm better than what "social determinism" led me to be. I'd have enough money per month and I could enjoy learning many things about psychology (that's what I'm currently studying)

Do you think it's a good plan or I can't be a teacher because of odds, lack of relations, poor student, etc... ?

>>17110458
I can't answer myself, but I really hope everything gets better. Don't quit college man, find your way.
>>
>>17110458
sort of in the same boat. I'm at university for computer science because comp sci was the only subject i liked enough from high school to pursue, despite not having enough "passion" for the subject anymore and just floating by in the course. How can I re-motivate myself?
>>
>>17110467
I want Dark Souls 3 and a car. But I don't really want a job and couldn't handle my last one.

Like I said, I don't know. Right now I'm reading about psychology and spirituality stuff in an effort to alleviate my depression, but neither of those are job things and I feel no passion for them, but rather see them as a path to finding a passion.

I like writing and music, having written short stories, short screenplays and recorded songs, but those both have literaly shit prospects and I will never be good enough at them to justify pursuing them, at least in a university.
>>
>>17110474
Are you talking about being a professor/PhD? If so, it is a very long and painful process. If you have little passion, it is extremely likely that you will fail. Regardless of whatever you have heard from propaganda on other boards, becoming a PhD is not a cake-walk.

Now, you can become a high school teacher with a BA in Psych. Other than that, for most positions in psychology you will at least need a master's degree. There is work for BA Psychs, just not as varied as it is for PhDs and MAs.

Nothing about your odds or relations or financial situation should stop you, at least from my perspective. I started college on a dime budget with a bunch of scholarships and have been paid to get my advanced degrees.

>>17110479
Think about why you love comp sci and understand that you might have to take some shitty/boring courses to get to the job you want. Alternatively, consider getting a certification in IT or technical support, which would be immensely cheaper and easier than a 4 year degree.
>>
>>17110501

I was intending to finish a master, in clinical psychology, (maybe add philosophy to the mix, because that was my second choice and double degree is always better) and become a teacher while writing psychology/philosophy essays. That's totally what I'm aiming for, I could work the human mind, which is totally my dream and speculate about it on my books.

Even though I know the reality of doing research, I still think I'll aim for that goal, and if I can't reach that, fuck it I'll just be a high school teacher and enjoy my little life.
>>
>>17110494
These feelings scream clinical depression to me. Are you taking any meds? For me, I found my anti-depressants were worthless until I started taking a mood stabilizer and was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder.

That doesn't mean these are "shit prospects" that just means they take practice. It sounds to me like you are an artist and artistry requires practice. Not to shit on my colleagues in the arts, but having been an art student at one point - you can self-teach much of these practices. There are so many non-college courses you can take to educate yourself in the arts that, in my opinion, I don't think it's college-necessary.

I will say there are very few things that I think require a college degree in this day and age though.
>>
>>17110513
Have you started the master's?

Basically, there is no such thing as double-majoring in a master's program; however, you can totally teach and do research with a master's. Some people will want a PhD, but most community college's have Master's teachers.

If you're into the title, check it out. You could be a professor at a community college in 1-2 years with as Psych MA.
>>
>>17110516
I'm not taking meds. My parents are very tip-toey and hesitant with psychologists and insurance and I've danced right on the edge of going to one for years now. I can't do anything to get one, and even if I did, most psychologists apparently suck ass and you need to find the right one.

I'm not interested in taking meds. I'd lose something. So many people just go braindead or apathetic. I'm afraid of losing my creativity or what good I do have.

I realize artistry takes practice, but like I said I'm lazy. Not only that, I am a perfectionist and I've recently given up on writing/music because it was too stressful critisizing myself.

What would you consider requiring of college?
>>
>>17110516
If you're giving mental health advice, what would you advise a student to do if he's been socially isolated most of his life, and its affecting his ability to do work for his classes?
>>
File: bythefirefk4.jpg (106 KB, 640x503) Image search: [Google]
bythefirefk4.jpg
106 KB, 640x503
>>17110526
Okay, first of all, coming from a person who takes a cocktail of meds every morning, don't buy that shit. I spent 6 years wanting to kill myself almost every morning until I got on mood stabilizers. Now, I can function as a normal human being. I heard all those rumors too; they're inaccurate for when you NEED meds.

It sounds to be like you are a very creative person. I would say college might not be the best choice for you, but instead you might look into a trade school or a arts-focused school like MICA or RISD. I went to an art's high school and it was a fantastic experience.

Even though I don't do art any more apart from hobby work, I think an arts school would probably really help you grow as a person.
>>
This is a serious question ; do the meds that are meant to curb pedophile's sexual urges actually work?
>>
>>17110534
Talk to your advisor or really any professor and talk about how you feel alone or isolated. We are all trained in how to deal with this kinda thing and can generally help you in finding a club or something that would help you meet other students.

We are your advocates, seriously.
>>
>>17110310
This is from a thread that I made, but I would like to get your input on it, OP.

What do girls see in me?

I was never really popular with girls in high school, but I did just fine; however, I've been in college for two years now and it's the other way around - I'm pretty lucky with them. Thing is, I'm not particularly attractive and I have enough self-awareness to know that I'm insecure in many aspects.

Now, for the actual advice, I feel kind of depersonalized because of it - almost like I'm shifting into a completely different person. It's been like this for, like I said before, two years now and it really irks me. Should I seek professional help of something?

I just don't feel like myself anymore.
>>
>>17110339
So you're a psychologist then?
>>
Happy to see this thread OP - I'm about to graduate with a BS in comm. Seemed neat when I transferred in two years ago but now I feel like it was a mistake. No job prospects and no direction. Considering grad school but I'm so uninspired and lacking in passion for anything. I like researching and writing but that's it. Part of my apathy may be due to feeling like these classes are full of busy work I'm disinterested in. Anyway as a fellow comm guy can you give any insight on figuring out what to do?
>>
>>17110310
With the backlash against the value of higher education, do you still feel decide in your job? I work in higher ed and they're making cuts everywhere here.
>>
>>17110908
*secure in your job
>>
I'm a student of Economics at a no-name school on the west coast. I'm not really that great at it; I have about a 3.1 GPA, but I am an excellent speaker and I have spent my entire college career working 40 hours a week waiting tables in order to pay for my education and living expenses.

I am quite concerned about my future, because I realize this degree promises me nothing. I just want to get a decent job, something I can be proud of that will pay me well, but I have no internships and it's my junior year (might be too late to get one now).

What advice can you give someone in my situation? I just want to live a happy life, and not be miserable like my entire childhood was. I have worked so hard every day of my life to get here, and yet I feel like my future is extremely uncertain.
>>
File: 1341951070591.jpg (84 KB, 508x504) Image search: [Google]
1341951070591.jpg
84 KB, 508x504
>>17110339
>media psychology
>>
>>17110984
I studied media in college too. Don't look at us when you buy shit and have no idea why you did or keep paying for a game, even though the developer and customer service treat you like crap, since you think it's "not a real field of study."

It is exactly because people are uneducated about the media they consume that they are so easily manipulated by it.
>>
>>17110310
Just for the record, a doctoral candidate may be a Teaching Assistant or even an Instructor. But he isn't a Professor.
>>
>>17111907
You only require a masters to become a professor.
>>
>>17111907
I'm not a doctor and ask my students to please not call me a doctor, but >>17112485 this guy's correct.

>>17110597
College is a different environment from high school. At least some of the people here, if not most (let's hope) are here to gain some kind of education or training. High school is more of a tribal kind of environment with very intense circles of social identities i.e. cliques. College is very much a part of discovering yourself though and it sounds like that's what you're going through now.

I don't think you need to seek anything serious, but maybe try talking to your advisor or a student advocate. Most colleges have a health facility that provide therapy services. Having seen a therapist at 3 different colleges in my career, it's typically very informal and you can just talk about these thoughts and feelings with someone there.

I think you're going through a normal period of transition and self-discovery, but talking to a therapist, a friend, or just anyone can help.

>>17110752
I study how people interact with media like television/film, games, books, etc. One of my B.A.'s is in Psychology though.

>>17110771
I will say this: when I went to grad school there were about 5/11 students who were there because they were having difficulty finding a job. Only 1 of those 5 graduated with us. Grad school is tough work and if your heart's not in it, it might be too much stress. In Comm, if you're interested in research you should decide on a field you want to study. Org, Educational, Media, Interpersonal, Inter-Group, Family, etc. Some schools are better for others, like MSU is (traditionally, anymore is questionable) the best Media program.

>>17110908
Since I'm still a student, yes. I also have very good prospects and see a lot of open positions in my field, but it's a growing one. The state schools are having fewer issues than private institutions, I think.
>>
>>17113342
Interesting, I was under the impression that the only thing I could be if I went to a grad school media program was a critic. I made a decision long ago to not take that path. I don't want to bitch about what's wrong with media. I want to do something about it and have people bitch about what I did wrong.

Instead…I'm underemployed in IT now, because I couldn't I didn't have the network to get into media. My education from a professional view is worthless. I am left with a bitter and cynical towards media…and my alma mater.

With your educational background, how do you not become bitter and cynical about media?
What school is MSU?
>>
Are you a hot professor?
>>
>>17111840
Yeah,j I don't look at you for that because you don't have a fucking clue either.

Also I never buy random shit that I don't actually want, doesn't take a meme phd to not be a retarded consumer drone.
>>
>>17113950
So tell me, anon, what did you study, hmm?
>>
Did you ever write a paper about 4chan?
>>
>>17110339
you'r life is a joke and no one will ever take you seriously.

Way to go.
>>
>>17112485
Not in any accredited university.
>>
does getting a C in a high school advanced math class hurt your chance of getting selected? Im really worried about this :(
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.