[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever experienced, or carried out, an act of altruism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 9cf.png (26 KB, 469x331) Image search: [Google]
9cf.png
26 KB, 469x331
Have you ever experienced, or carried out, an act of altruism to a stranger?
>>
I used to buy and give away games on Steam.
>>
>>17108062
I've volunteered at my local soup kitchen before albeit somewhat unwillingly.

Very rewarding in the end imo.
>>
>>17108062
i have bought homeless people food a few times.
>>
Maybe? Kind of?

I always hold open doors for others
I've helped random strangers carry heavy things to their car
I've helped people cross the street
I've doubled back because I was undercharged and didn't want someone to get it taken out of their paycheck
I pay compliments to strangers just because sometimes I know, a kind word can make all the difference on a shitty day.

So maybe that's altruistic? But the thing is, in a way I question that, because ultimately, I do all of that kind of stuff because it makes me feel good about myself. It fits the idealize image of the self of who I want and strive to be.

And It's not even that I think it makes me feel like I'm a better person than anyone who doesn't do that, it's that it makes me feel like I'm living up to the kind of person I want to be.

So in a sense, it's almost like the purest and most concentrated form of self-interest that exist...

So is that altruism at that point? *shrug*
>>
I hung out with a homeless dude when I was in Seattle.
I bought him a sandwich and he taught me about being homeless in a northern US city during the winter.
>>
Brought lunch to a homeless guy near my uni every school day for 4 years.
He died 3 weeks ago.
>>
>>17108062
Yes. But every story someone tells you might have secret intentions to the altruistic act, so basically you will only know when you did smth truly altruistic.
>>
>>17108088
;_;
>>
>>17108191

Wrong post or wrong word....

al·tru·ism
ˈaltro͞oˌizəm/Submit
noun
the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others.
"some may choose to work with vulnerable elderly people out of altruism"
ZOOLOGY
behavior of an animal that benefits another at its own expense.
>>
hmm i paid for a taxi last night cause the bus didnt come and downtown is sketchy af
there were 3 of us. a 7/10 girl, an old lady and me, the girl didnt trust me at all when i suggested the taxi idea, i dont blame her
>>
>>17108062

>bring home leftovers from restaurant
>find homeless person sleeping on my way home
>decide to just quietly put it down so he has a nice breakfast in the morning
>hear someone say 'i saw that' behind me
>turn around
>creepy old dude riding his bike at fucking 2 in the morning
>i hold my finger up to my lip with a 'shhh' guesture'
>he laughs and rides off
>>
When I was 16 a man held me down outside a party, intending to rape me. I bit him and screamed and this scrawny looking stoner runs over and beats his ass. I'm 22 now and I saw my hero at a party two weeks ago and I got the chance to thank him
>>
>>17108258
That was pretty nice of you. Old dude was probably trying to say you're nice.

>>17108268
Did he even remember that night?
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 300x375
I give to the homeless every other week
>>
I've done stuff but nothing gigantic
>volunteer work
>donating blood
>listed as organ donor on driver's license
>helped an old guy who had gotten confused and wandered out of the local nursing home at 5am on a chilly damp morning

I have had a lot of kindnesses done for me too
>someone gave me a ride when my car broke down in the snow
>was waiting at an airport by myself on a layover and a nice older lady bought me a sandwich
>people putting up with my crazy shit and being polite when they could have just told me to fuck off - I was going through some shit and I'm glad they were patient, have always appreciated when people do that and I try to pay it forward when I see someone having a bad day/week/year
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.