[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys so I landed myself a cruise ship job on American Cruiselines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (182 KB, 1018x1449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182 KB, 1018x1449
Hey guys so I landed myself a cruise ship job on American Cruiselines that pays 630 a week or 90 a day and has 12 hour shifts with breaks. But it goes to 7.50 an hour.

However I also landed a lifeguard job that has 10.5 hour shifts that are 15 an hour. It is at a seldom used luxury pool for the ultra rich. The hours are unclear so I may need to to take on a part time job.

On the cruise ship I'd have to live with total strangers. The lifeguard job I'd go home and live with my mom who is glad to have me back and will provide me with free food and shelter.

Which should I take?
>>
Cruise Ship for the adventure and new friends and life perspective.

Lifeguard for that /comfy/ life and if you want to save some dollars while working on a project or something.
>>
>>17108035
I've never done it before, but from what I've read, cruise ship jobs fucking suck.
>>
>>17108035
Any tips on how I can grab a job like that
>>
>>17108041
Cruise ship jobs get a stable work history a valid passport and a TWIC card all are possible without a SEVERE criminal history. If you are destitute working on a cruise ship is good.
>>
>>17108038
I have done it before, and I can confirm cruise ship jobs fucking suck.

A ship is a 7 day operation so that means no days off EVER. Since its American Cruise Lines atleast you don't have to worry about working with third worlders and getting third world pay but ACL has a very bad reputation for cutting corners and working their crew to the point of jumping ship.

I worked on a norwegian cruise lines ship in hawaii and there were a lot of former ACL people there who all said the same thing "as much as this ship sucks atleast its not ACL"
>>
>>17108102
OP here Thanks for telling me.
>>
Having never had either, but having been on a cruise and talked to people around my age doing it:

There are two types who do it:

1.)People from impoverished nations where the shitty pay and long hours are actually a fortune and a godsend where they're from.

I remember our floor manager was a south east Asian guy named Edwin who was in his 40's/50's and he'd been doing his job for 15 years and while it had him away from his wife and children 80% of the year, he was grateful for it because it was a stable source of income that was over ten times greater than anything he could have gotten back home.

And young people who typically follow the exact same mold:

They're all kids who are a little bit lost in their path, who are looking to see new things they otherwise couldn't have, and who don't mind putting in hard work.

Cons:
-It's Hard work. Really hard work. Like all of the people working I've talked to said it's like 15 hour work days, 6-7 days a week. With one day off every 1-2 days. For 3-6 months. You have very little down time.
-You will be sequestered away from the passengers. On their time off, cruise ship staff have their own designated areas to relax and let off steam. Don't think you'll have your run of whatever you want to do.
-You won't be traveling around the world, more like you'll do the same route over and over and over unless you change cruise ships.
-The pay is pretty bad.
-You kind of have to be the super social and friendly type to get the job in the first place and to fit in.

Pros
-You meet some pretty cool people once in a while.
-You get to see some sights you might otherwise not ever have
- You typically get a pretty decent discount on any offshore excursion packages on your day off (girl I was talking to on my Alaskan cruise was talking about how much she wanted to go dog sledding next time she had time off.)
>>
>>17108130
The lifeguard job, people seldom use the pool all day so I just do light cleaning or go on my phone for 10.5 hours a day with a paid lunch break. I've done it before. My only concern is I don't know how many hours I'll get.

It's what I'm familiar with nonetheless.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.