[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dogs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 736x981
Can anybody explain to me the appeal of having a dog? For me, getting one is signing up to having a baby that won't grow independant for 15 years. Not to mention the costs and the fact that you can forget vacations. The hairs, the barking, the vomit, the shit, the odours, the damaged stuff.,. How would that ever be worth it?

I'm asking because the bf wants to get one and i'm not so sure about it... Seems like an unnecessary pain in the ass.
>>
>>17107107
>I can't handle committment and responsibility

you could have just said that and saved yourself all those words
>>
Dogs are for lonely betas who need constant companionship
>>
>>17107118
Well, we also get married soon and then have a baby. I'm sure i can into commitment and responsibility. I just see not a single positive aspect... I'm not unnecessarily burdening myself "just because".
>>
I don't have a dog, but I have a few cats. They do fuck your shit up, but they provide emotional support and promote a general sense of well-being. They're a pain in the ass, but not as much of a pain in the ass as, say, having a child. A dog won't make you want to kill yourself because you didn't buy it an iPhone for Christmas and then it suddenly hates your guts even though you're doing the best you can, etc. Dogs/cats don't give a fuck.
>>
>>17107122
I always feel awkward around people with dogs. It screams "i need a leash for something to give me love and stay with me"...
>>
>>17107107
Dogs are fun, cute and great for picking up chicks
>>
>>17107132
I don't need animals for companionship and support...
And if you fail that hard at raising a kid, i suspect you would also fail to raise animals that can behave
>>
>>17107139
What an useless argument
>>
>>17107107
Ehhh dogs are pretty independent--they become independent in less than year which is a bit faster than children.

The key to having a dog is being a reaponsible owner who grooms the dog so it is relatively clean and trains the dog to not be a shitlord. I have met some genuinely terrible dogs working at a kennel-but I'd say 99/100 times a shitty dog is the result of a shitty owner.

Someone broke into a friend's house and her dog bit the living hell out of them so that was a plus. They can also be very loving and energetic (liven up a place/motivate people to be more active) which is nice too.
>>
>>17107152
Why?
>>
>>17107177
presumably because she's a girl
read a bit closer
>>
>>17107122
Not true. Depending on how you raise your dog they can be quite independent. People who think this just don't like dogs / have never or choose not to have the dog experience.

>>17107128
Babies are different than dogs. Although dogs are not always so different from babies, and like children if you treat them with love and respect they will be fiercely loyal. Dogs are pack animals and will die for those they love.

>>17107137
Sometimes. Dogs need more nurturing than other common household animals, but they also return that effort tenfold.

>>17107139
Yes.

>>17107170
Absolutely. Dogs are basically sponges, and are highly intuitive / sensitive to their environment(s).

Every dog also has a unique personality, and (imo) one of the most rewarding aspects of having a canine for a bro is helping to fully realize that personality. They're more than property, they really are like family members, and that kind of a friendship can be really fruitful.
>>
>>17107146
You may not need it, but what about your boyfriend? Plus dogs are loyal and will defend you to the death, literally.

Also, if you're going to have a baby with your boyfriend in the future, you'll be stuck with a baby that won't grow independent for 18+ years if you're lucky. Dogs don't live for that long. Maybe you can help take care of the dog as "practice" for taking care of a real baby.
>>
>>17107107
Dont diss the spawn of courage wolf dick shit, you dont know how to raise dogs properly if your opinion is that they're not independant
>>
OP is a faggot
>>
I've grown up with a family that has dogs, usually multiple dogs. I take them outside. I like watching them go insane when you come home. I like watching them happy to see you when you go downstairs after waking up. Yeah it's annoying when they shit everywhere but you can train that out pretty quick with a youtube video.
>>
>>17107170
>>17107218
>>17107227
>>17107255
Y'all know full and well that kids aren't dependant to the extend of a dog till 18+. They might beed SOME moral and financial support till that age, but not someone to prepare their food all the time, walk their ass multiple times a day, clean their (literal) shit up after them, and so on.

Besides, i wouldn't really apprecciate someone jumping up on me and hitting me with their tale when i come home, carrying groceries. Not to mention how unimaginable gross it is if they lick your face - right after licking their own ass. Yuck...

I really try to see what's the plus side of having one since my bf is pretty set on having a dog. But i can see this leading to a lot of problems...
>>
>>17107107
Dogs can be great stress relievers. If I weren't horribly allergic to one, I'd totally take on the responsibility - depending on the species. I think there was a survey done where people's cortisol levels were measures over a period of time through stressful events (death of a parent, job loss, etc). The ones that were dog owners had lower levels. Lower stress was only correlated with dog ownership- not if someone had an SO, wealth, etc. just dogs.
>>
>Can anybody explain to me the appeal of having a dog?
They'e cute, loving, playful, great to snuggle with, always happy to see you, and so many are in shelters and in need of a good home.
>For me, getting one is signing up to having a baby that won't grow independant for 15 years.
Yeah and they won't become rebellious pieces of shit either

>Not to mention the costs
Food, toys, wee wee pads, a bed pet insurance, poop bags, leash, and a jacket for the winter. If you're somewhat financially stable it's really not that much. Imagine having a kid. You've got to pay for more expensive food, a lot more clothing, furniture, tuition, health insurance, toys/games, etc... Trust me, a dog is so much cheaper
>and the fact that you can forget vacations
You can always have a friend dogsit for you
>The hairs
a squeegee gets dog hair off the rug and couch easily. there's also breeds that don't shed.
>the barking
You think dogs constantly bark? they only bark when they want something or if they're guarding the house
>the vomit the shit, the odours, the damaged stuff.
children do this too and much worse. dog vomit and shit is very easy to clean up and you don't have to wipe his ass and change his diaper. the only odors are from when your dog pisses (which is why we have wee wee pads) and shits, in which case just pick it up. damaged stuff can be prevented by spraying sour apple spray on anything your dog shouldn't be chewing on. they don't like the taste so they just avoid it

How would that ever be worth it?

because dogs are fucking awesome, so stop being a cunt, get a dog, and spoil the hell out of the little guy. it's not hard to take care of them
>>
Dunno, they're pretty lovable. Just make sure you train them while they're young so they don't become unruly annoying pieces of shit.

Plus, if you have any friends at all, it's not hard to find dog sitters when you go on vacation. Win-win for both parties. I just dog sat for a friend of mine. Got to use his house for the week (meaning I didn't have to pay electricity at my house for a week...), plus got to raid their fridge full of food and beer. My friends got off cheap because they didn't have to pay $400+ in dog boarding costs, and I was happy too.
>>
holy shit someones mad that there puppies with instagrams with 5x + followers as you. deal with it you fucking boring shit
>>
>>17107309
Make your bf clean up the dog's shit and walk it or whatever if he wants one that bad if you don't wanna get involved.

With this way kids are being raised nowadays good luck not raising a introverted NEET basement dweller with social anxiety and depression that needs mommy to do everything for him. Then dogs will look much better in comparison.
>>
I really want the German Shepard puppy in OP's pic. That is all.
>>
>>17107107
If you're not into it 100%, don't get one. You're right that it is like a lower-maintenance baby, and if you don't like dogs (you don't, and that's fine) you will just grow to resent the dog.
>>
>>17107309
Wat. I just had a baby and I've been so grateful that my dog is so chill and independent and I don't have to pay much attention for him to be content aside from letting him out for potty every so often and feeding him.
>>
>>17107152
If you're fridgid/anti-fun maybe. Its the shortest and most bang-on reply in the whole thread.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.