[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do when you can't break addictions? What are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 9C0UxA4.gif (995 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
9C0UxA4.gif
995 KB, 500x282
What do you do when you can't break addictions?

What are some good ways to top addictions.
>>
>>17107062
Find something else to focus on. Martial arts is good, especially because you have a good supportive group of people and you learn to focus and train hard doing something you like, and can't do if you're using.

Find other people who are also breaking addictions. You're not alone, and neither are they. Then have a mentor or someone you look up to who can be an emotional cornerstone and a helpful guide through your journey.

Be spiritual. I'm a christian, but you might follow another route. The point is that you are looking at yourself as more than just a body, but as a spirit or a soul as well. And there is more to life and the universe then just you and your addiction. It will also help you find meaning and a reason to stop.

Be with family and friends to remind yourself of why you are fighting. Hopefully they are supportive, and if not, haters gonna hate and you keep fighting.
>>
>>17107062
Find a new one

preferably a healthy one
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 480x637) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 480x637
>>17107281
This
>>
Get angry about it. I feel lile anger is good fuel for change. You have to want to drop the habit, and thats once youve become so sick and tired of being disgustingly addicted to a fucking vice.
>>
>>17107062
Develop healthy habits. Habits are basically 80% of what we do (like brushing our teeth with our dominant hand or something). To me, addiction just adds the irrational mental grip over "I need to have / do this". Drugs, alcohol, sugar, gambling, cutting, sex- they all have strong physiological responses in us, but the only way to recover is to develop some good habits and get a support group as one of the tools to help. (I.e., force yourself to workout or run or something every time you want to smoke or eat an eclair. Or make yourself call a sponsor- not a friend or family member- when you feel like you have to have a drink.

Supplement group therapy with cognitive behavioral training.

Good luck.
>>
Sports, exercise, walking, nature, outside

every day

every time you want to go back to your addiction, go outside and do what i said
>>
File: 1460944439427.jpg (40 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1460944439427.jpg
40 KB, 550x512
Brehs.... I can't do it I failed so hard....
>>
>>17107062
get help
>>
>>17107062
Replace them with socially acceptable forms of addiction.

>basically what a psychologist / therapist is going to end up tricking you into.
>>
For about 4 months I've not been drinking on week days. I've spent all but a handful of days in the last 5 years drinking every day.

Every year i get fatter, lazier, and more broke. I'd say the money and looking in the mirror got me fed up. I still drink on weekends and social situations, but i feel good about the moderation.

I've quit smoking a couple times with aids and cold turkey (up to 2 years). back on them for now because the smell and occasional cough don't bother me much, will probably quit next time I'm sick.

Willpower is like any other muscle, gotta work it out. because procrastination is like fat, it only gets thicker the longer it's left unchecked
>>
>>17108737
>Willpower is like any other muscle, gotta work it out. because procrastination is like fat, it only gets thicker the longer it's left unchecked

Thank you.
I will never be fat.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.