[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do psychiatrists actually help?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: k.jpg (227 KB, 1527x952) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
227 KB, 1527x952
Should I see a psychiatrist? I don't have insurance, so I'll probably be paying out the ass if I go, and I don't have a steady income right now, that's the main thing that's stopping me from going. I don't particularly like the way my life is going right now, and I feel as if I need a second opinion, or some sort of guidance just to help me get started on the right path again.

About once a week I get panic attacks, mainly because I think about dying, and the thought of not being alive and conscious some day in the future scares me. I just seize up no matter what I'm doing and I can feel my heart sink with adrenaline, and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I also have almost no short-term memory; I can forget things in 30 seconds or less, and I'm finding it harder and harder to recall what I did the day before as days pass. I don't feel depressed or lonely, but I haven't exactly felt like myself over the past few months, as if something is off and I just don't know what. I find it increasingly difficult to talk to people as time goes on, even my closest friends and family members. I'm losing interest in all of my hobbies, and I don't feel like doing anything in general most of the time.

Would I just be wasting a psychiatrists time, or are those good enough reasons to try to go see one? Is it normal for someone at age 21 to have this many problems materialize out of nowhere?
>>
bomp
>>
I think you should go, age doesnt need to be a measure for therapy. Just seek help.
>>
>>17107014
depends on the person
>>
>>17107161
I'm just hoping this is a phase I'll get over but it's been going on for a while, and I'd rather not shell out money to someone who may not be of any help. Then again, I don't think I really have any other options at this point. I'm willing to change my whole lifestyle just to feel better at the end of the day

Is good therapy just like, "ill put you on this drug for x amount of days and if you don't feel better we'll try another drug," or is it just strictly counseling or something? I'm a bit confused about that, which isn't helping with my indecisiveness.

>>17107194
How so?
>>
>>17107214
well its literally talking and listening to some fuck that gets paid to listen to your crap and doesnt give a fuck about you

its for women more

fuck psychiatrists
>>
>>17107337

>it's for women more

talk about toxic masculinity
men can express emotion too you fuckwat
>>
>>17107214
>the thought of not being alive and conscious some day in the future scares me
I think a psychiatrist or therapist could definitely help you with that

I used to get in moods where I would get really upset with myself for not doing better in life and stuff like that, to the point where I would self harm.
When I went and saw someone, they basically taught me how to not spiral into those moods and how to avoid the thoughts that cause them in the first place. It was really helpful for that.

If you want change in your life and you don't know how else to fix it, I would say it's worth it to try it out for a couple sessions.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.