[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weird questions but hopefully some insight can help me out. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 225x224
Weird questions but hopefully some insight can help me out.
What does it mean to be friends with someone?
What is a friend?
Why do you have the friends you have?
Pic unrelated.
>>
Friends are someone to experience life with.
I suppose different people get different things from maintaining friendships, but for me, its mainly good to know that someone has your back when shit turns south. Really, its mostly about looking out for each other and learning from your combined life experiences.
You give what you get.
>>
>>17106947
I consider my pets to be friends! not like they had a choice in being owned... but regardless, the fact that they are easy to be around, loyal (at face value, it's probably just the food), act happy to see me makes them seem pretty friendlike
>>
>>17107026
...you also tend to get what you give.
>>
>>17107026
>Friends are someone to experience life with
You experience life with everyone though, whether you like it or not. Wouldn't that mean that you consider everyone your friend?
>Someone that has your back and that you can learn from.
So basically a mentor?
>You give what you get
If that's true, why not just give what you would give to your friends to yourself?
Wouldn't the outcome be the same?
>>
>>17107034
So a friend is someone that's just easy to be around and likes you?
Sounds more like a follower to me.
I don't see why people say pets are loyal but I think the above could be said about loyalty too.
>>
>>17107037
I'm not saying friends are an inherently good thing, this is only what I tell myself to justify spending any amount of time with people that could be spent on myself.
>>
>>17107042
So you trick yourself into believing you have a reason for having friends even though you truly believe them to be useless?
I don't understand, why would you do that?
>>
>>17107047
Sometimes people can be quite entertaining to be around...
I also believe there is something to be learned from everyone, since everyone's life experiences are different.
Also, its a good method for obtaining free cigarettes.
>>
>>17107051
>inb4 you're a sociopath
>>
>>17107051
>So can comedians
>That doesn't really have anything to do with friends in particular
>This is the only real reason I've seen validating friendship, and it's a pretty weak one at that but I won't judge.
>>
>>17107058
Thanks desu.
Do you have friends?
why or why not?
>>
>>17107061
I have two people I'd actually call friends but one of them in particular is why I actually made this thread.
I'm not sure why we're still friends, and that got me thinking what exactly makes someone a friend.
>>
>>17107041
Yep! simple as that. True friendship should seem effortless imo, but the bottom line is getting more happiness out of time spent with the "friend" than being by yourself. We've been social animals for quite some time...

How does OP define a friend?
>>
>>17107071
and also there should be some mutual element of happiness to it--for both parties to be more happy
>>
>>17107065
I guess its really just a matter of personal preference...
Bearing in mind that everyone has down/unsavoury times, and it "can" be easier with someone helping you out.
Still, people are pretty resilient on their own too. So idk. If you find anything more worthwhile, be sure to post it.
>>
>>17107071
That's the main reason why I've been questioning why I'm even friends with this person.
Lately most of our conversations are either mindless small talk or tedious mind games.
Honestly 90% of it might be my fault, but I think it's irrelevant at this point considering the state of our relationship.
Things were really great in the past but I'm not sure if I can go back to being that way with them anymore.
I'm still not sure what I consider a friend to be though, because what I thought to be the definition definitely doesn't fit my best friend at all yet I have no doubt in my mind that we are friends.
I don't really know what to do anymore, but I feel that if I can clearly define what a friend is or even should be I'll be able to make a clear decision soon after.
>>
>>17106947
Why do i feel like I know you?
>>
>>17107637
These are fairly common questions I think, but you might.
Guess my name and if you get it right I'll tell you.
I'll even say it starts with a J.
>>
>>17106947
To be friends with someone is to be in mutual agreement to support each other, mutually and to meet each other for leisurely events.
A friend is a companion you are attached to.
Supposedly, because they have similar interests to me and we could be compatible as friends.
I guess because some of them care about me.

...I don't have many "true" friends IRL or online...
>>
Friends are people who keep you company, and vice versa,
then you watch and celebrate their accomplishments and victories without any recompense or personal gain.
or watch them suffer and cut ties, or care and share the misery that is not your own and you cannot help them with.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.