[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/adv/ I'm a student in uni that's totally financially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: il_fullxfull.644977154_33y7.jpg (119 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.644977154_33y7.jpg
119 KB, 800x600
/adv/
I'm a student in uni that's totally financially dependent on my parents right now. I want to gain independence and move into a pet friendly apartment (I live for free in a house they own right now).
I get my degree in botany in a semester and I want to work full time in a farm or greenhouse once I graduate. How do I save up money for an apartment? How long would I have to work before I could have a pet dog? I have absolutely no idea about any of this and would appreciate any input at all.
>>
File: t4F4ne2.jpg (88 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
t4F4ne2.jpg
88 KB, 720x960
One bump!
>>
>>17106336
I'm in a sort of similar situation (I live in my parents house without them and had dogs and currently studying) and I'm planning to move out at the end of this year to a new city.
Do you have time to work much time to work or just a few shifts here and there?
>>
>>17106799
I work now for peanuts, like I make $40 a week and my bank account has something around $1000 in it. This summer I will have a paid farm internship, kind of low paying but full time. During the semester I will not be making much money, but after I graduate I will want to work full time. Since the greenhouse business isn't super high paying, it will probably not be a ton of cash, though.
>>
>>17106823
Are you American?
I'm Australian and I was being paid stupidly high in a job that I worked in for about 18months (putting away at least $500 fortnightly). Its probably best to save as much as you can and do a budget for how much you spend on bills/food/personal costs and then figure out how much dog food and products will cost on top of it. They can be pretty expensive animals and aren't always the best option for someone who's fresh out of studying.
>>
>>17106859
Yes, I am American, and incredibly envious of your wonderful job! Thanks for your advice. Getting a dog is a high priority for me so I guess I should try and cut back on extra expenses now, so I don't get overwhelmed with it later.
>>
If you live in Ontario Canada I own a dog walking business I charge 12 dollars a walk.

I also know your feel botany and horticulture jobs here are min wage. I recommend saving up to create your own little green house for veggies and herbs salad bowls and tomatoes grow really well sell them at farmers markets.
>>
What do you do, is get a part time job, save up, and then move out after you finish your degree and have a job.
>>
>>17107060
That is an awesome business! Yes, I will look into baking/gardening for little profits. You're right that these things can really sell.

>>17107112
That's the plan! But I don't know how much I need to have saved up before I can get an apartment. I know my parents will give me a little financial support with food and things if I need it, but I don't want to depend on them consistently. like, how much do I need to have saved just to get an apartment with no roommate? This is why I made this thread.
>>
>>17107301
>But I don't know how much I need to have saved up before I can get an apartment.
That really depends on where you live. Ideally, it'd be at least a month or two worth of rent and bills in savings, plus whatever you need to move in and get settled down. And don't forget to give yourself more than you think you'll need for food and hobbies at first in case you miscalculate, and a little bit more set aside for emergencies. Be prepared to pay more for rent if you want a pet btw. I wouldn't recommend not having a roommate, it helps you save on money and at the very least, it stops your home feeling super quiet and lonely.
>>
>>17106336
Start saving whenever you can. If it truly is a goal. Save for it (though it doesn't hurt having a family that you can stay with).

What might help, is moving in with a roommate (not family but a buddy). To save costs. Or rent a place at someone's house where you can have your own space. How long? For as long as you want to live there. It isn't a flat fee. You will have to keep on working to pay for rent, utilities, expenses, etc.

Getting a dog...it all depends on what breed. You can sometimes find one at a shelter. BUT you have to have adequate finances to support a pet (food, toys, housing, and save up for VET bills.)

What I would suggest. Just get a part time job while your still in school. It could be a few hours here and there. Work on campus or look at the Job board at school. Utilize your time well and be thankful that your parents are paying for your school.
>>
>>17107331
>>17107354
Hi guys, thanks so much! Yes, I will now start growing my savings and comparing apartment prices in places I want to live. I'm wary of having a roommate, but will not remove it as an option outright, since it does seem to be a big help financially. Thanks again!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.