[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get better at storytelling? I tend to rush through them,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 500.jpg (45 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
500.jpg
45 KB, 409x409
How do I get better at storytelling? I tend to rush through them, and I often forget interesting details and events in my own life just because I don't think they're worthwhile.
>>
>>17105005
If you're talking about writing, only 10% of what you do should be actual writing. The other 90% should be prewriting, planning the plot, dissecting the characters, making sure everything is perfect. Then, once you've got the bones built up, write the actual story.

If you're just talking about telling stories to your coworkers or something shit I dunno
>>
>>17105005
I have the same problem. I feel like, growing up, nobody ever listened to me or thought anything I had to say was important, so they'd tend to talk over me and interrupt me. I kind of learned to talk really fast because I want to get everything in before somebody interrupts me, but that makes me a shitty speaker.

Also, most good storytellers know how to use suspense. Instead of leading with the surprise, punchline, reveal, whatever the most interesting part of the story is, they start with the lead-up to it and make you want to hear what's next.

I wish I could do that, but I always feel compelled to start with the most interesting thing to limit the chance that people will lose interest or assume they know what I'm gonna say and just talk over or ignore me. I still have problems with people treating me this way. It's made me a shitty speaker.

Guess it's a confidence thing. Fuck confidnece tho
>>
>>17105005
You get better at storytelling by telling more stories, and by having stories to tell.
>>
I'm the opposite, I tell too many details and have people lose focus and inturrupt 70% through. I blame my ADD tendencies. Like with many things, I can manage it best with some preplanning instead of telling it blind. Of course the downside of that is that I like the appeal of spontaneously telling a story and getting reaction from my peers.
>>
A good story is a journey, it's drawn out with step by step events. Try to do this but don't make it too boring, start with a "hook" that draws the audience in and makes them interested. It can be as simple as, "this is how I (insert non-everyday occurrence or realization here)". Set the scene and describe a few descriptive details about what happened to make the audience imagine the scenario, it helps them by associating things that they know or have seen already, and therefore can relate to. Once you spend time building it up by setting the scene move onto the main conflict.

The evolution of a story has been well studied, most good stories involve some kind of conflict, followed by a resolution. Most verbal stories you'll want to tell at a party ends in a happy ending or funny conclusion. Lastly, know your audience. Don't tell stories that may be inappropriate for whoever you're with. You shouldn't necessarily tell the same story in front of a child or group of females as you would your bros.
>>
>>17105005
Why did your image accompanied by your problem make me laugh out loud so much Pepe?
>>
>>17105057
Fuck Pablo Lopez, are you me?

>>17105245
No. If you notice, the most entertaining people can make stories out of anything. It's not that they necessarily have much more interesting lives.

>>17105283
>dfw you're telling a story and can tell when someone stops paying attention

>>17105519
I get this, but how do you keep the story interesting? I don't think any great comedian is consciously thinking "conflict-resolution. They're just good.

>>17105522
:^)
>>
>>17105862
A good storyteller is also a good joke teller, so you have to follow the same advices as when you tell a joke:
Never ever looks like you're hesitating. If you say "Uh, or was it that way?" they'll immediately know the story won't be as good as it could be and they'll stop caring.
A good way to keep it interesting is to separate the story in details/reaction. Speak about the actions, then if you have to tell about what someone said, imitate his way of speaking (exaggerating it so that it stays entertaining). If no one is speaking in your story, mimic your exaggerated reactions (surprise, incredulity) as you witnessed the events

All great jokes have some piece of dialogue in it, or are so short you don't have time to be bored. This is because it must be entertaining even if the audience is just half-listening, and exaggerated reactions is the only way to do that. Every joke or story will be boring if you tell about it in a monotonous tone.
>>
Just be yourself, man :^)
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.