[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to argue better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1462262960586.jpg (43 KB, 680x499) Image search: [Google]
1462262960586.jpg
43 KB, 680x499
So from watching videos like these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3vcvGpALQ
I've determined that the easiest way to lose an argument is to fall for typical "gotcha" questions and start screaming angrily to catch up to the other person's confidence and defend yourself. How best to avoid this? Without saying stupid shit like "I've done my research"

What are some effective tools for being a better arguer/debater and making a good case for yourself.
>>
>>17104414
If someone tries a "gotcha" question just move the subject. Remember, in politics and arguments, if you're explaining yourself you're losing
>>
Raising your voice is a sure way to close peoples minds and put them in an enraged state. A higher pitch also does the same. Speaking slowly with a deep voice conveys authority. Take pauses to recollect yourself and allow what you have just said to sink into the other person.

http://www.businesscontent.com/fbi-can-teach-you/
Although I'm not sure if you're just trying to argue or convey the facts to another person. When your aim is to win an argument, you have already lost persuasive power.
>>
>>17104488
Good point about arguing vs. Stating the facts. Ive definitely made that midtake before. Ive definitely gotten better at not raising my voice, but pacing myself im not good with. Always afraid im going to just lose the person. I wouldnt say im trying to win, but im definitely trying to persuade people
>>
Regarding the video, there is nothing anyone could say to change anyone's mind there. They already made their decision on who they support and will attempt to rationalise it by any means possible. Humans still make decisions primarily by emotions, rationalising those decisions comes after.
>>
>>17104430
Now THIS sounds dubious. Wouldnt dodging the question just immediately discredit me?
How to dispell a gotcha question without explaining myself?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.