[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you consider the following a delusion or a philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1380967532606.jpg (175 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1380967532606.jpg
175 KB, 800x600
Would you consider the following a delusion or a philosophy?

>Reality is actually an illusion/a dream/ a test of some sort and my ultimate goal is to figure out the truth
>>
both
>>
>>17104286
>Reality is actually an illusion
Delusion, because it's a statement of fact about physical reality (and for all intents and purposes, incorrect).

>my ultimate goal is to figure out the truth
Neither. If you said "My ultimate PURPOSE is to figure out the truth" that would be philosophical. If you've made it your goal to figure out the truth, and you probably have, then that statement is an actuality.
>>
>>17104286
>Reality is actually an illusion/a dream/ a test of some sort and my ultimate goal is to figure out the truth

Here's why that's silly, kid.

>reality is an illusion

First, there's no rational reason for you to say that without evidence of some sort. Any evidence that you think you have came from the same reality you think is an illusion, and is therefore either invalid evidence or proof that reality is valid.

>my ultimate goal is to figure out the truth
By collecting evidence from inside reality? Not particularly useful to your case. By going outside of reality? It tends to follow you around.
>>
>>17104297

But that is to assume that I exist inside the reality. Could it not be possible that the consciousness or ego exists outside of the perceived reality? (For example when dreaming you "exist" in the dream but the ego actually exists outside of it)
>>
>>17104341
What are you using to remember those dreams, bub?
>>
Sounds like teenager philosophy. It sounds deep and thought-provoking at the time. You get excited wondering if you've stumbled upon one of life's great unanswered questions. Fast forward a couple years, you'll look back and laugh at your own retardedness. It's a phase we all go through.
>>
>>17104286
100% delusion. There is no test. If reality is an illusion, then it's only because our senses aren't capable of sensing the true reality. It doesn't mean there's any deeper meaning, and there certainly is no test.
>>
>>17104346

That's a good question. What does one use to remember anything? Just their physical brain? Consciousness?

I guess the analogy I'm trying to make is we usually aren't aware we are dreaming until after we wake up. While we dream, at least for me, I am completely convinced what is happening is real. So why isn't there a possibility for my current waking reality to also be false.
>>
>>17104381
>So why isn't there a possibility for my current waking reality to also be false.

Lots of people have tossed out this idea over the years, and no one takes it seriously as a scientific question because there are so many glaring differences between dreams and reality that leaves waking reality as the only logical choice. There's also the "so what" factor - say you are sure your dreams are reality and waking is a dream. Are you going to quit your day job? Kill yourself to "wake up?" Nope, dream or no dream, in a few years you'll be flipping burgers like everyone else.

I'm sure you're eager to waive logic and argue that your dreams are real, but you'll have to find someone with a high tolerance for bullshit to sit through that.
>>
>>17104286
It's a test of our reading skills.

The only planet in the world is the world itself.
>>
>>17104404

It isn't supposed to be a scientific question. But I don't think "ITS OBVIOUS AND THEREFORE LOGICAL" makes much sense either.

>Are you going to quit your day job?
I actually did this
>>
>>17104447
>I won't live in your reality, man!
>quits job
>experiences comfy reality of living with parents
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.