[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Van Life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: van.jpg (111 KB, 590x391) Image search: [Google]
van.jpg
111 KB, 590x391
Hey,
I was gonna live the basic life in a Van for a few years, and park/sleep in it in a GF's backyard over night's for safety, instead of on the streets, and head out to work each day.

I'm a recovering alcoholic, got 6 years sober coming up in June, and I just found out my GF is letting people drink at her place. I spoke to her about it being a problem for me, and she said its not her problem. Which I thought sucked but its her place, so what ever.

I am not sure I'd be comfortable living in a Vehicle on the streets, with NO friends who's backyards I can stay at, cause they all drink.

Right now I can not think of a solution other than ditching the Van Life to save money plan, stay in rental housing, and forget about saving for my own Land before I'm too old to enjoy it.

comments and suggestions welcome.
>>
>>17104269
Make yourself a tiny house. I can't imagine trying to live in a space I couldn't even stand up straight in.
>>
park it in nice residential neighbouroods, secluded like next to a park so theres not much traffic through
>>
Mainly commenting to say well done on being sober for so long, anon, im sure its not easy.

However, I wouldnt give up on the van life just yet, could maybe ask on some online trading sites or the council or something if anyone would be willing to let you park on thier land?
>>
Thanks for the suggestions and input.
And thanks for the encouragement to stay sober.
Im not sur I could pull this off
Ive got a really bad cold right now. I jist cant imagine how I would cope in a van while this sick.
>>
>I'm a recovering alcoholic, got 6 years sober coming up in June
>and I just found out my GF is letting people drink at her place. I spoke to her about it being a problem for me, and she said its not her problem.

"the things of the world remain just as they are but the wise remove desire for them" - buddha
>>
>>17104722
This. If you can't handle people drinking in her house, then you aren't sober: you are still 'white knuckling' it.
>>
Stop trying to live in a van you fuxking retard
>>
>>17104269
What the heck. If you're sober you should be ok with other people drinking near you. The rest of the western world loves to drink, if you can't handle that your life is going to be severely limited. It is on you to stay sober and be ok in any situation, not on them to baby you and limit their own lives becuse of your own problems. Extremely self-centered.

Plus, what's with this drastic 'move into a van' shit? Does anyone you know think this is a good idea, or are you just so known for making ridiculous decisions that nobody even tries to talk sense to you anymore?

Yikes, man. Fucking yikes.

>4 years soberfag
>>
>>17105194
Kek so much this, I'd copy and paste. You're a fucking adult with a girlfriend who has a house. And you're van living? What the absolute fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>17104269
I had a camper van a few years ago. VW T5 LWB, 6 months old, 3,000 miles on the clock. Set me back the price of a good dinner short of £30,000 (abous $44,000 US).

Went fishing in it for a week. It was fucking terrible. Hit my head that many times it's a wonder I didn't come back retarded. The bed was too small to lay down flat on, and somehow less comfortable than a roll mat and sleeping bag on the ground. The whole thing rocks like a ship in a storm at the slightest puff of wind. The only thing that gets rid of the smell from breakfast is when it gets superceeded by the smell of lunch, and then you dinner which you can still smell when you get up the next day.

It was honestly like some kind of slow torture designed to drive you insane. Had one more trip in it a couple of months later. Three days in the only thing I was using the camper for was to drive back and forth from the lake to the hotel. Got home, sold it and never looked back.

If someone said to me "ok Anon, you've got to spend the next x years living in one of these" I'd honestly just pic related. Either that or just wait for the first winter and die of hypothermia instead.

With all due respect, if you can't even see a guy holding a beer without wanting to relapse, there is no way you're going to live in conditions like that without breaking. Also:

>I spoke to her about it being a problem for me, and she said its not her problem

It doesn't sound like that relationship has a lot of mileage left in it mate. Have you actually talked to her about this plan of yours? I can't imagine any woman who wouldn't just flip out and tell you to fuck off when you said that. The only worse possible thing than "living" in a van would be doing so without anywhere to park it.

pic related was supposed to be a gondola hanging itself, but I can't find where I saved it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.