[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell dad I'm a fedora tipper?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: 1452482606136.jpg (84 KB, 656x597) Image search: [Google]
1452482606136.jpg
84 KB, 656x597
I'm 18, in high school, and live at home with my parents.

My dad is a devout Catholic (my mom not so much) and he drags me to mass every Sunday, but I am an atheist. My dad loves the dogma and teachings of the Church and is a classic clear-cut conservative. I tend to keep silent about my religious beliefs and avoid the topic because I don't want to set him off, and I'm scared of telling him (don't bite the hand that feeds you). But I have made some subtle anti-theological remarks, and I think he might suspect me already, although he doesn't want to accept it, I suspect.

I'm tired of being dragged to mass. I can deal with it, but I'd rather not have to do it because it's a pain. My older brother seems to have gotten away with not going to mass, I think just by outright refusal.

How can I do this? Is it a good idea at all?
>>
>>17101898
Just talk to him about it. As long as you're respectful of his beliefs it can only go so badly. Obviously if you start shit talking his religion he might lose his cool, but if you just address the fact that they are his beliefs and as you've grown up you've decided that you do not want to follow the same religion, so you'd like to stop attending mass, then surely he would not be irrational about that?
>>
>>17101908
And if he is you can always just move out, you should be doing that anyway.
>>
I'm a Christian myself but never go to church because I can't stand the human politics that creep up literally all the time.

I can see your dilemma, it's unfortunate that it'll probably hurt your dad's feelings but if you don't want to stomach the church visits anymore then you should do what makes you happy/what you believe.
>>
Okay first thing you need to keep in mind is that you're dealing with an irrational person. I know it's not considered "proper" to speak badly about religion, but this is the fact of your situation. You're dealing with somebody who has irrational beliefs and engages in magical thinking. Okay? So let's just get that out of the way right now.

You said that your brother doesn't have to go because he's refused. That at least gives me some hope that he won't outright murder you or something. You have some ground to stand on because of it. Just go and talk to him in a respectful way, and be careful not to set him into "kill the heretic" mode. You are dealing with a very dangerous person, so please be careful.

Good luck, Atheistbro.
>>
>>17101927
You are so autistic.
>>
File: 123214321224.gif (2 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
123214321224.gif
2 MB, 230x172
>>17101927

Jesus Christ dude. If ever there was a post that deserved this image...
>>
File: shrug.png (2 KB, 142x138) Image search: [Google]
shrug.png
2 KB, 142x138
>>17101931
>>17101933
Just trying to help OP stay alive through this ordeal.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.