[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just a few weeks before we graduated college, i lost all my friends.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1448721527912.png (15 KB, 277x268) Image search: [Google]
1448721527912.png
15 KB, 277x268
just a few weeks before we graduated college, i lost all my friends.

it sucks, watching them enjoy their farewell parties together and stuff while i'm left out. all because i pissed off one person by asking them to stop talking shit about her friends because it made me uncomfortable. i'm guessing she said some shit about me that made them not want to associate with me any more.

i don't have any high school friends because i've constantly moved around. and now i don't have any college friends because of this bull shit.

i'm so fucking mad, i don't know what to do. can you even make friends beyond this point? i feel like i'm cursed. i've always ended up friendless somehow.

i wish i could just make friends at my new job, but i work from home so i don't get to meet any one.

joining a club sounds alright, but what else can i do?
>>
>>17101190

sounds like you werent in the wrong (but we only hear your side of it). truth is college friends dont last. they become facebook buddies, and in the day of facebook you tend to meet up with old friends less than ebfore facebook. cuz you dont imsss them when you can just message them all the time.

anyway, if you want to make new friends its not only possible but normal. the big issue is that after college friends tend to be less reliant on each other. dont think they want to be, they just get that way from not having a forced hangout situation like dorms and classes. the following advicei will copy paste was intended for meeting girls, but it works even ebtter for friends.
>>
>>17101201
effort. lots and lots of effort. and also, doing what you like. going out is in no way restricted to bars and clubs, though if that is what you enjoy, by all means, go to bars and clubs.

the truest way to find chemistry is to experience your life in the most enjoyable way, and see how you match with the people who come into it. interacting with someone in a casual way shows you how you ACTUALLY get along, not how you hope to get along cuz you really want this to work cuz you need a gf.

so write down a list of all your hobbies, and find a way to externalize them. most people live at least near a city these days.

go to any and all hobby shops and ask about local events. gun shops might have hunting trips. or you can just go to a shooting range. comic book stores have game nights. or live commentary movie nights. if these shops do not host events, offer to host one through them, after all it will only lead to more money through them.

you can even go to a more casual store, lets say, a book store, and stand in your favorite aisle (lets say, horror). talk to everyone who comes by looking for a book. ask what book they are looking for. tell them what book you are looking at. try to spark a conversation abotu your favorite author. maybe take some suggestions. if you really hit it off, try to trade numbers.

its okay if it doesnt pan out. this isnt a scoring system. there is no man in a cloack in space making down on a cosmic chalkboard how many failed conversations you had. 99% of interaction is dumb. you are waiting for the 1% and enjoying talking about your favorite things with strangers until then.
>>
>>17101204

>but anon, going outside somewhere to find out if maybe they have an event doesnt suit my lazy lifestyle!!1!

and for those who simply cannot bring themselves to get up out of the house without a guarantee go to meetup.com and look for something of your interest. no matter what your interest it is on there in a group you can meet with. and if not, you can start your own meet up.

Now, some of you may argue that these sorts of tailored events are attended mostly by men. yes. mostly. but some women too. whats important here is you will be doing something you love, with people who love what you love, and when the right ladies come along you'll know they love it too. you will have that common ground.
>>
Don't be afraid of being alone, sometimes it's a good thing
>>
>>17101217

also very much this. the bobcat spirit totem teaches to be alone without being lonely.
>>
>>17101201
i'm precisely this cheesed because i feel like i lost the people i would socialize with because of such a stupid reason. i would've thought my friends would have better judgement and at least think for themselves, but the friend i asked to stop gossiping is a pretty big influencer in the group... fuck.

it does make me feel better to know that college friends don't last anyway... even though it seems to be on the contrary when i see other normies who are partying it up with friends they had since middle school til college...

i don't even mind having casual friends that i can hang out with once in a while. do those exist post-college? or is everyone busy with their lives that they'll only make time for their best friends since forever?

>>17101204
>>17101207
thanks for the advice. i'm female though, so i hope to make some solid female friends at meet ups....
>>
>>17101190

If you're telling the truth and they seriously ended it because of something like that, they weren't good friends in the first place.
>>
>>17101217
>>17101229
i've been alone for almost all my life. on one hand, it helped me develop and hone a lot of skills and knowledge in things which got me ahead of others and carved a sweet path for job opportunities.

on the other, i was lonely as fuck and i am insecure of having no friends. it makes me fucking die inside when my boyfriend keeps asking why i'm not out with my friends on the weekend. i feel like such a loser. i rarely got to go to parties or go to cool places because i didn't have anyone to go with.

and i know it's silly, but when i think about if i ever get married, i wouldn't know who to pick as my bridesmaids or who to invite, because no one will fucking come... it's one of my dumber reasons why i don't want to get married.

i'm just super sick of being alone, and having friends with me was some of the greatest times i've had.
>>
>>17101238

casual friends are the msot common. but there are ways to deepend the friendships when they are established. it sreally easy making casual friends, especially if you are a couple and you meet another couple.

>female

if you lean towards feminine interests you will. if not you'll still meet some. i host a horror meet up which is traditionally a male thing but plenty of females show up.
>>
Go fuck yourself. I've never had friends. Family tells me to invite my friends to my grad party and I have to pretend they're just all busy.

Clubs and meetups I guess.

>>17101262

I know these feelings, sister. Those weddings with like 500 people...I don't even know that many people! My husband would have like dozens of friends and I would have maybe one. Screw that. Parties are nothing but dick measuring contests to see who has the most friends and to make fun of the loners. They said this would end after high school but it never is over. When I was with my bf, his friends became my friends, and when we broke up I lost all those "friends".
>>
>>17101259
yeah i guess so. but at least we could have fun and go to places and talk about random shit and make each other laugh...

>>17101264
well i hope so... i just hope they'll be around my age. guy friends are a no-no for me, those last even shorter than the female friends i have. hope they have cooking classes or something.

>>17101277
yeah this is why i think of my boyfriend's friends as "his friends" and not "my friends". he keeps telling me they "love" me, but i know it'll only last til we last.

meet ups and classes and clubs it is...
>>
Wait, aren't you usually a grown-up when you graduate college? I'm European, but I was under the assumption that college roughly equals university.

I'm just a bit surprised seeing people say things like "your college friends become facebook buddies", that's what we'd usually say about high school friends, where as in uni you start developing relationships that'll usually last.

sorry, i'm just confused, maybe it's just cultural or individual differences
>>
>>17101311
Also, what I meant additionally about the being a grown-up part is that it sounds like very childish, typical high school behavior of your friends.
>>
>>17101311
i'm op, you're correct and that's what my impression was too about college/uni friends being the ones that last.

which is why i am so fucking pissed off, holy shit... well i hope this is just how it is so that i don't feel like i'm the minority who has no friends.
>>
>>17101311
>>17101318
Americans are typically younger both when starting and finishing college than the average European. Americans usually start when they're 18 and graduate at ~21.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.