[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts, majoring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_4705.jpg (94 KB, 720x545) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4705.jpg
94 KB, 720x545
I've got a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Chemistry, History, and Philosophy. I'm unemployed and have no clue what sort of job to look for. I can't even get a look in at retail atm.

Probs should've thought about it before I started studying, but I was always told that if you just go with your passion it'll work out for you. Bum advice in my case I guess. I thought having something mathsy in there would work to my advantage. Guess not.

Any ideas on jobs I can take that won't bore me to death / how to get one?
>>
Buuuuuuump
>>
The university or college at which you studied has a career center full of people paid to help graduates and soon-to-be graduates figure this sort of thing out.

They'll also know about local options if you're still living in the area.
>>
I'm guessing you were one of the idiots who never used networking to build an advantage, right?

Building a network of people to help influence the world around you is what having a career involves. You've got to 'know a guy'. Without a network of any kind, you come off as a crapshoot, and no sensible person wants to take the risk.
>>
> if you just go with your passion it'll work out for you
I think when people say this they mean to follow your passion intensely, or at least make it the main focus of your life. That way opportunities tend to come up. Not to just follow it casually.
>>
>>17100664
I went, the woman gave me a bunch of dead weblinks, and confessed she knew little to nothing about what I could do.

>>17100672
I've got a network. It's just that nobody in that network is hiring anyone with my skillset or aptitudes at the moment. I'm always out networking with other recent grads and old professors and whatnot. It's just nothing has come up yet.
>>
>>17100591
You have a chemistry degree, work in pharmaceuticals.
>>
>>17100672
This is a really douchey post. Ignore this idiot.
>>
>>17100591
There are chemistry analyst/technician jobs out there if you have a degree in chemistry. History and Philosophy will not help you unless you want to try to be a teacher or something generic like that. Some government jobs just require a degree and don't care what it's in.

Keywords for types of jobs to look for may be: environment, biotech, pharmaceutical, regulatory agencies, water treatment, oil/gas, manufacturing. I've got a similar degree and looking for the same thing.
>>
File: 1326457189074.jpg (29 KB, 400x325) Image search: [Google]
1326457189074.jpg
29 KB, 400x325
What do you want to do with yourself, OP?

I was a neuroscientist (well, neuroanatomist), BS in biophysics, MS's in neurophysiology and environmental policy. I quit that miserable shit while working on a doctorate (liked the science, hated the grant writing and teaching), went to work on a boat. Then a ship. 15 years later, I'm captain of an oil tanker. My steward (chief cook) is a doctor who lost his license because he was a junkie, and never went back. 2nd assistant engineer was a hairstylist in Hollywood. The guy he replaced quit to go become a catholic priest.

We are more than the sum of our education, and many people choose to branch out at some point, away from their original passions, as new ones develop.

If we fail to grow as people, we fail as people. Think about money, stability, happiness, peace and interest in what you're doing. Now frame that in your search for something that you want to try.
>>
File: 1459969020654.png (256 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1459969020654.png
256 KB, 500x365
>>17100702
You don't find people to fit your skillset, you fit your skillset and adjust it based off of what's available. People with dream jobs will always tell you they started off doing something else and working towards their goal in the background. Waiting for the perfect opportunity is stupid because it might have already come and you didn't realize it.

>>17100823
Buttmad no-networker
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.