[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anxiety Reduction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: Insane.jpg (37 KB, 494x560) Image search: [Google]
Insane.jpg
37 KB, 494x560
So I have some anxiety problems. I'm probably eligible for a diagnosis of GAD or SAD. There's essentially no rational component to this: I'm not thinking anxious thoughts like "oh god what if i screw up and accidentally insult them and they hate me forever". It's purely physical: i'm incredibly wired-up, and the slightest noise sets it off. The phone buzzing from a text is like hearing a gunshot right next to my head, and when i'm trying to formulate a response i can't think properly due to the constant PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC shit, it's like trying to draw an architectural diagram in the middle of the NYSE trading floor during a fire drill.

Catch is, I'm in a foreign country where I can't see a shrink for various reasons (no insurance, barely speak the local language, don't trust these people as far as I can throw them).

But it's gotten seriously out of hand, and I need to function. The biggest problem is that it's incredibly difficult to talk to people and get important shit done, like paying rent, bills, etc (nothing in this fucking country is done over the internet). Plus the constant stress isn't healthy (eg heart is routinely above 100BPM).
And to top it off, someone's started texting me recently (trying to befriend me, i haven't had any friends as long as i can remember, normally don't talk to anybody), and I'd like to at least try to respond promptly and normally.

I don't have any effective anxiolytics: if you know any that can be ordered online safely and are legal to ship to the EU, suggest them (other than antipsychotics and benzodiazepines, i have adverse (paradoxical) reactions to all of those due to their antidopaminergic and sedative effects).
I've tried all the standard breathing and calming techniques, they helped at first but now they barely make a dent.
Any ideas?
>>
Any time, which might be all the time; you have anxiety. Direct that energy towards the hardest decision emotionally, break your cycle.

It'll be the hardest thing in your life but it's really simple and gets easier immediately as you do it, and quicker the more consistent you do it.

When you notice anxiety, direct that energy into an image you truly want to see yourself as. This typically relates to something you enjoy doing. You have to have some level of self-indentity to propagate your energy this way.

When you feel anxiety, direct the energy towards an activity that betters you or helps you in some way. Focus the external energy, internally.
>>
File: andy.jpg (133 KB, 615x818) Image search: [Google]
andy.jpg
133 KB, 615x818
>>17099655
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=107
you could try meditating
>>
>>17099703
Tried meditation, haven't really gotten good results. My guess is that either it's for the same reason that sedatives make me less calm, or due to the narcolepsy (it tends to put me to sleep, and the effort required to stay awake probably interferes badly with the proper relaxation and mind-clearing). Or both.
I'd like to get really into it since my little bro says it's helped him a lot, but no idea how to fix this.

Any alternative techniques you guys can recommend?

>>17099683
>This typically relates to something you enjoy doing. You have to have some level of self-indentity to propagate your energy this way.
>When you feel anxiety, direct the energy towards an activity that betters you or helps you in some way.
I guess I do this since I do pour a lot of energy into work and hobbies: got all sorts from art to programming, succeed at most of the things i set my mind to.
Problem is, I need to be able to do unpleasant tasks like paying bills, talking to people, etc that create more anxiety.
>>
Try this. It's as good as therapy as shown by a meta-analysis.

http://llttf.com/
>>
Posted here >>17100238 if anyone's interested.

>>17099888
Unfortunately i haven't had much success with CBT-based approaches, but I guess I'll give it a try.
>>
File: HouseMasters2.jpg (25 KB, 500x207) Image search: [Google]
HouseMasters2.jpg
25 KB, 500x207
Bump
>>
File: friend.gif (913 KB, 390x271) Image search: [Google]
friend.gif
913 KB, 390x271
Another bump
>>
Are you seeing a therapist? Therapy is extremely effective in the long-term for anxiety, and benzos and other medications are typically only considered as short-term solutions.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.