[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of legal ramifications (if any) can i expect for >Translating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Vashta_Nerada.jpg (34 KB, 526x518) Image search: [Google]
Vashta_Nerada.jpg
34 KB, 526x518
What kind of legal ramifications (if any) can i expect for

>Translating articles from popular website
and
>Putting them on my own website in completely different language than the original, intented for much smaller country?
>>
Is still stupid, I hope a journalist founds it out and sue you or something, that would be justice.

Why don't you write it yourself? Bad at writing? You have something new to do.
>>
>>17099645

sueing. depends on your country. some places are more or less protected form international copyright law. theres some small fucking country in the middle east that illegally aired an illegally produced dragon ball x sailor moon crossover but even if japan wanted to sue itd be a waste of time.

if you make any good money from it you can expect them to at least try though. much smaller is fine but it depends how small really. agian, if you are making money, you can get in trouble id wager.
>>
>>17099651
Not actually bad at all. Back when i used to write about random bullshit like love people actually bought my papers.

I just dont like the risk of wasting my time and energy in case it doesnt work, so thats why i want to translate stuff from already popular site.

>>17099666
Interesting, i will look into the international copyright law and how exactly it works over here in Czechia.

Thanks for the warning anon
>>
Even though it is derivative, translations are eligible for copyright as an original work. Since a translation, especially literary translation, involves considerable creative effort, labour and skill on the part of the translator it can be registered as an original work.

Hmmmm, intredasting
>>
What if i provide link with each article to the original website and just straight up say thats the original.

I wouldnt be stealing their traffic or anything (cause the people who cant read english would hardly ever visit their site), quite the opposite actually, as people could visit (and learn about) the og website (which is in english)
>>
>>17099752
That's a good idea. I don't think anyone would really care about where the information from your articles comes from, as people just want to take advantage of information and they will unlikely care who it's written by.
>>
>>17099769
That is true, but its not the readers i am worried about.

On one hand if i just translate it and post it, i could keep doing it until found out.

On the other hand if i provide link to the original article i basically confirm that i am indeed "stealing" their content and they can (probably) shut me down whenever they feel like it.

Decisions, decisions.
>>
>>17099645
Violation of copyright. Can be prosecuted in criminal or civil courts. (Since you probably don't have assets worth suing you for, you'd probably get away with a cease-and-desist order making you take down what you've stolen and post no more.)

International copyright laws make every piece of writing copyrighted automatically in the act of writing/typing/whatever, with no need for registering or the little c-in-a-circle mark.

On the other hand, if the originals had such limited circulation, why not just write to the authors and ask for permission to translate and publish? They might be happy for the wider circulation.
>>
>>17099789
That is what i am doing right now actually!

>On the other hand, if the originals had such limited circulation

Thats the thing, they do not have limited circulation. They are one of the top websites
>Rank 340 in US, 966 Global and 10th in their category (enternainment)

Still though, cant hurt to ask as you said.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.