[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
help me buy a gaming laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: gamerfaerie.jpg (299 KB, 1095x729) Image search: [Google]
gamerfaerie.jpg
299 KB, 1095x729
so i'm in need of a new laptop. will be my only computer after i donate my macbook air to a friend in need. initially i was thinking i would wait for the new macbook pros (which should happen in june), but after looking at prices and things i'm like maybe not.

used to be all about regular windows PCs as a kid, but after buying a macbook pro in 2009 i was hooked just because of the badass trackpad. nothing worked as well before and i was extremely impressed. since then i've been only OSX/Mac.

do gaming laptops have trackpads that work as well as macbooks now? does anyone evern know what i'm talking about? Better Touch Tool makes it massively customizable and you can do the four finger swipe stuff. like in different directions. smooth interfacing is a must. so is a zoom feature? damn i'm not explaining this well. but yeah trackpad must be amazing and i hope that's a thing beyond apple now.

so here's what i need:
>gaming laptop maybe 13" or 15" that has a massive SSD or two (for recording gaming sessions) that can run like fraps or whatever alongside games without any hitches
>badass trackpad similar to macbooks

and i guess that's it. does this exist? where can i buy it? what does it cost? the macbook pro i want would be around ~$1.5USD + $250 for apple care (3 years of free labor and parts if something breaks or i spill beer on laptop)

so $1.75k for what i want including the apple care. PCs are supposedly cheaper for similar quality shit. is this true or a lie?
>>
Gaming laptop is an oxymoron
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 300x465) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 300x465
>>17098951
Not really, no. And anyway it's what I need for my active lifestyle :/
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 600x340) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 600x340
Wtf 4chan. Don't tell me I'm the geekiest person here right now?
>>
>gaming
>laptop
You're going to have to pick one or the other.
>>
>>17098976
Sweetie, a gaming laptop isn't a thing. You either get a laptop, or you get something for gaming. 'Gaming laptops' halfass both things
>>
>>17099021
Well not really, it's just you'll be paying 3x the amount then you would a desktop with identical hardware. Plus if anything breaks you can't replace it and when parts break you can't upgrade.

So basically it's a shitty investment unless you're filthy rich and it doesn't matter. But you can play demanding games on a laptop.
>>
>>17099035
Meant when parts go obsolete you can't upgrade
>>
>>17098948

Wait, so you poopoo'd me for turtle beach, but you want a gaming laptop? Fuck you tranny!
>>
>>17098948
Try asking in our tech board /g/
>>
>>17099047
>gaming laptop
>mac
He asked here because he knew /g/ would either rip him a new one or assume it's a troll.
>>
>>17098948
Why the fuck do you care about the trackpad if you're going to be playing games?
>>
You could try Alienware. They have gaming laptops.
>>
>>17098948
Alienware is like the Apple of gaming laptops, overpriced and people buy it for the label.

Do some research, read reviews, go to a computer store and try them out.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 735x551) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 735x551
>>17099075
It will be my only computer, and most of the time I'll be using it for school.
>>
File: 1440540736774.jpg (1 MB, 2022x1503) Image search: [Google]
1440540736774.jpg
1 MB, 2022x1503
>>17100109
Don't buy a gaming laptop. It will be oversized and loud, and look batshit retarded.

As far as all that trackpad nonsense, you're like the person who says a wiimote works better than an analog controller. It's objectively false. Modern laptops have touch screens which when used in conjunction with a mouse, or the keyboard/pad are far superior to the gimmicky trackpad.

Get a media laptop with the specs you want, but don't pay for anything that says "gaming" in the name.
>>
There are a number of vendors that sell laptops based off of Clevo hardware that have very good performance for gaming. Clevo is also not as retarded as, say, Apple or Dell, in regard to poor design for heat dissipation.

Still, you're going to be spending more money than you would on a desktop and you'd be better off getting a desktop for gaming and an inexpensive laptop for your portable computing needs.
>>
>>17098948

>gaming laptop

Enjoy your poor hardware, lack of interchangeability, annoying ass mobo, and 4000 degree lap burner. If you use that $1,750 for a desktop you could easily be running a new i7 (6700K is good price) with an R9 or GTX 980. Gaming laptops usually have outdated or shitty hardware that will be depreciated or under-perform in like two or three years time.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.