[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A question and then advice.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: doterra1.png (512 KB, 916x439) Image search: [Google]
doterra1.png
512 KB, 916x439
One of my family members has begun buying and selling pic related and using it on themselves. I think it's a feelgood product but am not completely certain. But she's cometely sure it's got medical benefits. I tried finding proof off either medical benefits or fraudulent claims but I just can't come up with anything.

So the question is; is this a scam or not. And if it is how can I get this stuff out of my families life. If it's not, not my problem.
>>
>>17098852
I know tea tree oil has antibacterial properties, and I think mint might too. I think the rest might just smell good.
>>
>>17098902
And I don't think I've ever seen tea tree oil from them. Pretty big red flag for me.
>>
>>17098852
>>17098902
>>17099006

They are oil based air fresheners m8. Nothing medicinal about them, nothing addictive, or druggy. Sure you read about how certain smells make your mood change, but it's bullshit. Anyone who believes that is an idiot
>>
>>17099258
Lovely. But I'll need something official to prove it. I'm dealing with someone who pulls out these stupid book with people calling themselves doctors in them.

I'm at my wit's end with these stupid oils.
>>
>>17099643
By this I mean the same kind of people who call themselves scientist while chasing Bigfoot. I see no research no test or experiments, just nothing to support the claims except people saying they work.
>>
>>17099664
>>17099643
What do you have against a nice smelling room?
>>
>>17099664
>>17099643
http://www.inquisitr.com/1497917/fda-warning-letters-young-living-doterra-consultants-must-cease-marketing-claims-that-essential-oils-fight-disease/
http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/02/02/essential-oils-a-perfect-example-of-alternative-medicine-exaggeration/
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/doterra-multilevel-marketing-of-essential-oils/
>>
>>17099882
Have you seen the price tags on those tiny ass bottles?

>>17099891
Thank you. Glad to know how strong the placebo effect really is. Now what should I do with this? Show it to her? Stage an intervention?
>>
>>17099909
And she just bought another fing case of these things.
>>
Just had a conversation with her regarding some of this stuff. I received the following.

>so, they are three or four year old articles. Why should I listen to them?

>one of the big hospitals is using them now. How can they be quack treatments?

>they don't claim to cure or treat diseases or illnesses, just help with the symptoms.

I honestly have no clue if I should even bother with her anymore. Is the hospital thing even true?
>>
Some herbs have been shown to have certain properties that are helpful in medicine. Several people have already mentioned tea tree oil as an astringent, lavender is a muscle relaxant, and so on.

However, this makes up only a subset of what the commercial herbalism/aromatherapy community often attempts to peddle, and doterra is among the worst of the worst. Use the few things that have any measurable effect as a hook to build trust, and then bring out the snake oil. That's the standard MO.

In particular, no one has found any of these things that has any kind of generic "disease-fighting" properties. At best, they are the very same sorts of "symptom managers" that the "alternative medicine" community rails against "Big Pharma" for producing: no better, and often worse.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.