[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My grandmother insulted my husband's cooking and he's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: country_breakfast.jpg (300 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
country_breakfast.jpg
300 KB, 800x600
My grandmother insulted my husband's cooking and he's pretty upset about it, and I don't know what to do or say to make him feel better.

She's extremely hard to please and doesn't like a whole lot of foods, so he made a typical southern country breakfast; Biscuits & gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon, homefries, and hand squeezed orange juice. It was pretty good, but he also cooks at a restaurant for a living so that's a given.

When we were finished he asked what she thought of the meal, and she said he "destroyed the eggs" and the gravy was "meh"

He seemed to swallow his pride and not say anything but he has been irrationally upset about this for two days. Did I not do the right thing? Was I supposed to defend him or something? I told him it tasted fine.
>>
>>17093808
Those eggs do look pretty boring desu senpai..
>>
>>17093812
That's not his food, I just googled "country breakfast"
>>
Is cooking a big deal to him? Is it a passion?
If so it is likely that he has just taken a knock to his confidence. Don't stress about it.
>>
File: 1450625252379.png (1 MB, 1440x1206) Image search: [Google]
1450625252379.png
1 MB, 1440x1206
>>17093808
>I'm not an americlap

What on earth is that white stuff in the middle? Is it pic related? It sure looks like it. I really don't think I'd want to eat that for breakfast.
>>
>>17093808

It's your grandmother

He feels like he has insulted your ancestors with his paltry cooking

Poor guy

But if you liked it, you should have said it out loudly, maybe even chastised her a little for being so rude.

You don't eat at another person's house and insult their cooking like that.
>>
File: 231630-biscuits-0.jpg (46 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
231630-biscuits-0.jpg
46 KB, 800x533
>>17093836
you should try it if you haven't, it's pretty good
>>
>>17093836
>being this autistic and afraid to try new thing

hi is this OPs grandma? im not american either but i will try most anything once.
>>
>>17093836
That's Freedom Sauce.
>>
Well if he's a cook his reaction is sort of fair. But he needs to get over it, he's an adult and he should know some people in the world exist like that. You did nothing wrong on your end
>>
What a fucking baby.
>>
>>17093836
it's absolutely delicious sausage gravy
>>
File: 1451356651649.jpg (52 KB, 412x412) Image search: [Google]
1451356651649.jpg
52 KB, 412x412
Yeah, your grandmother was being kind of a bitch. Even assuming it wasn't a good dish, the polite response isn't to just blurt out ITS SHIT. While my mother would never do something like that, I'd definitely call her out if she insulted my SOs cooking like that. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were blind sighted by the situation but I'd take a more aggressive stance in the future.

>>17093836
Its fucking gravy, its just a sauce made of flour and seasoning. If you think that's questionable god forbid you spend any time at an ethnic grocery store.
>>
>>17093808
>>Was I supposed to defend him or something?
That's always an option.

>>I told him it tasted fine.
But you didn't tell your mother.
Coward.

The least you could have done is tell him
afterward that you thought your mother was
being an asshole, but then you probably
inherited some of that trait from her, and
thus don't see it as a big deal.

BTW, stop cheating on your husband.
>>
>>17093808
LMFAO thats something my mom or sister would say LOL
>>
>>17093808
she probably means its too dry and you should put 1/4 milk in the egg mixture for sweetness. also the gravy should be on the side not poured over. also the bacon should be wrapped inside an omelette usually.
>>
does he not understand that your grandma's comments have nothing to do with the meal itself, but instead that your grandma hates him and wants you to leave him?

for that matter, do YOU understand that's what's going on?
>>
>>17093808
>>17093836
>>17093859
>>17093881

Biscuits and gravy is my fucking jam. My mother's family is from kentucky and biscuits and gravy was my grandmas specialty. Every sunday the entire family got together to eat a big ass fucking breakfast of biscuits and gravy. She would make sausage gravy, cornbeef gravy, and regular ol gravy for my brother. She also made some johnnycake to go along with it that was sweet, crunchy, and fucking amazing.

Biscuits and gravy is easy to fuck up if you aren't from the south. I have eaten B&G at multiple restaurants, even those known for southern style food, and they fucked it up. It's incredibly surprising how easy of a food it is to fuck up. If your husband ain't from the south he probably doesn't know how to make real B&G. I have had people tell me they hated it and that it was a disgusting food only to fucking love it after I made it for them.
>>
>>17094642
>also the gravy should be on the side not poured over
What the fuck are you even talking about. The proper way to serve biscuits and gravy is to tear the biscuit up with your hands into little chunks and then pour the gravy all over that shit.

There is nothing more frustrating than someone just dumping gravy over a whole or halved biscuit. Either serve it separate so you can tear the biscuit up yourself or tear it up for them before pouring the gravy on it.
>>
>>17093836
Im not an american either, but it appears to be (and from what people have said) bechamel with crushed biscuits inside.
>>
>>17094717
It's literally just sausage grease and flour.

And pepper.
>>
>>17094722
Bechamel is sauce made from melted butter, flour and milk.
So i wasn't that off.
I make my mac'n'cheese using bacon grease as the base for a bechamel, then melting cheese into that.
</cooking blog>
>>
Why keep a hateful bitch like that in your life? I dont give a fuck if she is 99 years old and a holohoax survivor, she doesn't have a pass to shit on people.
>>
>>17094728
Oh, and nutmeg.
Nutmeg is important for bechamel.
>>
File: 1459968565900.jpg (986 KB, 2001x2960) Image search: [Google]
1459968565900.jpg
986 KB, 2001x2960
>>17094717
>bechamel
kinda. That kinda gravy is more for shit on a shingle.

Biscuits and gravy is simple. For every 1 cup of milk you add in 2 tablespoons of flour and 2 tablespoons of grease. You do not use butter for B&G, but the grease from the bacon or sausage. You can add in some butter if you don't have enough grease though. Problem with this is that butter will make it too sweet.

Season with black pepper and salt. It takes a shit ton of salt to properly season and quite a bit of pepper. Do not add any other seasonings. Putting in onion or some kind of stock will completely fuck it up and make it disgusting.

Another common mistakes is cooking it too fast. The best way is too cook your ground sausage meat in a large frying pan and once it's finished put the stove on medium-low heat, pour the milk directly into the pan with the meat and grease all still there and then add in your flour, salt, and black pepper. If it's a larger batch add the flour in steps. Blend in a couple tablespoons with a frisk at a time until it's completely smooth before adding the rest. The slow cooking allows the grease and meat flavors to really soak in the milk. You have to CONSTANTLY stir or your gravy will be lumpy and fucking disgusting. Make sure to taste it so you don't add in too little or too much salt. Once the milk starts to kinda bubble you turn the heat off. let it sit on the stove for a few more minutes, stirring it occasionally, and then dump the whole lot into a big ceramic bowl.

chopped up Bacon, Ground Breakfast Sausage(tennessee pride is my favorite), or Corn Beef are the best meats to use. You can also make bland gravy using only butter but it's not very good without a meat.
>>
>>17093836
>It sure looks like it.
You may have an issue with your digestive system if your vomit is white.
>>
>>17094770
It doesn't really sound that appealing when i know the process. Besides, i won't even have those meats available to me as im not in the states.

Bechamel is not a finished gravy in my eyes either way, it's a base for other gravies.
Unless it's for fishballs, and even then you season it with curry.
>>
>>17094807
it's literally the same process, just with meat/grease instead of butter.

You can use the "bechamel" gravy for a easy as fuck lunch known as shit on a shingle. Basically, you take the gravy, throw in a couple of thinly sliced pieces of ham/turkey into it, and then pour it on top of a piece of toast. Delicious.
>>
>>17094807
I do like your method for making mac n cheese.

I'm going to try that shit.

t. Ameriflap
>>
>>17094845
I recommend melting some cream cheese into the sauce before adding the shredded cheese.
Add crispy bacon bits as well if you want.
I like to season mine with pepper and chives.
>>
>>17094850
Fuck that sounds good!

What country you hail from, my man?
>>
guy who lives with his opinionated grandma here, lmao...

our family is soooooo used to that shit, it literally means nothing to us to hear grandma complain. water off a duck's back.

tell your husband some grandma's are just cranky bitches at times and not to take it so personally. it's just food, you convert it to poop.
>>
>>17094857
Norway.
My gf fucking adores my Mac'n'Cheese.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.