[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a compulsive liar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: ww.jpg (21 KB, 590x375) Image search: [Google]
ww.jpg
21 KB, 590x375
I have this problem, I lie way too much.
At first I would just make up excuses too often when I didn't want to go to certain places. Then I started lying about my job to some people I met so they wouldn't look down on me. After that I started making up facts about my life to new people I met, like what school I went to, or the name of my ex-girlfriend, anything. Now it's out of control. I can be asked something simple and I have no control over how true my reply will be, I will just unconciously make up a story out of nowhere. For example the other day someone offered me chocolate pudding and as a reflex I replied "I can't eat that, I'm allergic to chocolate since I was a kid" which is not true.
I'm afraid I'm losing my grip on reality because I noticed I have started to question what is true about me and what isn't (like "am I really alergic to chocolate after all?"). I'm losing control over my speech and my truth. And I'm afraid I will forget what lies I told to each person, or that they will meet each other and I will get in trouble.
Has anyone had experience with this and knows a way to get over this problem?
>>
>>17093188
Ya I work with a guy like that.

Nobody likes him because everything he says is bullshit.
>>
>>17093196
lol
Is he just a bad liar? Or does he say outrageous stuff?
>>
I have a similar issue, not the same but similar. The solution is to basically talk less and develop an interest in something that you can have compelling conversations, you are basically lying to keep people interested in you...try to find a means to keep them actually interested in you.
>>
I couldn't tell you. I have a friend that lies constantly. She keeps on bullshitting people about any sort of stuff no matter how small. However in doing that, it's fairly easy to know the truth from her somehow. It's pretty stupid, but in a way she has earned more of my trust by doing this without thinking herself because when it comes down to something serious it's pretty easy to figure the truth out from her.

While some other used-to-be-friends seemed pretty sincere about most things but ended up crossing me hard.

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I would guess it's hard to treat. Because sometimes to lie about one thing requires some other several lies on top of it.
>>
>>17093230
>>17093236
Thanks!
I see. In my case I try to make sure I never lie at the expense of someone else, my lies are thankfully still in the territory of just saving my own ass. So the "keep people interested in you" part makes sense.
>>
Admitting to yourself that you are a compulsive liar has been the first step;

find any mental health resource you can (google clinics in ur area, MAKE THE TIME TO GO, YOUR INSURANCE WILL COVER IT OR THE STATE WILL PAY FOR IT NO WORRIES) then take care and be as honest as possible with your therapist

lying is a defense mechanism, usually, so there's prolly nothing severely wrong with you. like you aren't accusing random strangers of stealing from you. but it can grow to the type of delusion that leads to paranoia and false claims, grandeur posturing and intense pressure to keep up the acts. so get it taken care of with a professional
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.